in General Discussion edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Benton

Week 3: Builders & Titans

http://www.time.com/time/2006/time100/walkup/poll/

Online polls are as interesting as pre-invasion Iraqi election.

Can anyone explain to me why I should vote Steve Jobs?
  • Reply 2 of 18
    bentonbenton Posts: 161member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Online polls are as interesting as pre-invasion Iraqi election.

Can anyone explain to me why I should vote Steve Jobs?

Because the RFD is working, because you are really a good AppleInsider and because it is your duty. Go forth and complete your assigned mission. To not complete the mission is unexceptable. And because I asked you nicely, Please!
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Quote:

Because the RFD is working, because you are really a good AppleInsider and because it is your duty.

I think you haven´t read that many of my posts Steves hand wave never worked on me[/Watto]

My point is this: What has Steve done in the last year that should make him #1 in this category?
  • Reply 4 of 18
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

My point is this: What has Steve done in the last year that should make him #1 in this category?

Nothing. But why would fanbois need a rational reason to endorse somebody? You're asking too much.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    mac_dollmac_doll Posts: 527member
    Quote:

Because the RFD is working, because you are really a good AppleInsider and because it is your duty. Go forth and complete your assigned mission. To not complete the mission is unexceptable. And because I asked you nicely, Please!

I voted Steve!

Anders and Gene, please let this girl have her fun and opinion.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    kiwimackiwimac Posts: 80member
    Steve is super fantastic number 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Well, clearly people share Benton's opinion. As of this morning, Jobs has a strong majority of the vote at 41%.

I voted for Steve Jobs because none of the other people struck me as being as savy and sucessful as Jobs. Come on. Jay-Z?
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by david christ superstar

Well, clearly people share Benton's opinion. As of this morning, Jobs has a strong majority of the vote at 41%.

I voted for Steve Jobs because none of the other people struck me as being as savy and sucessful as Jobs. Come on. Jay-Z?

Excuse me? The Google or the Myspace boys? Its pretty obvious that they have been more influencial than Jobs last year. I still challenge you to say what difference Jobs made last year. It has all been continuations from former years. The iPod Mini->iPod Nano was natural evolution, the G5->Intel a mere necessity if the Mac wasn´t going to die within a few years and no product was released from that move in 2005.

In short Apple didn´t change the rules for anyone outside itself in 2005, much diffrerent from former year. The only ones really affected by Apple in 2005 was some pissed off developers.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Myspace? So someone created a website that lets people post random crap from flash movies to ugly pictures to text. And? Where's the big accomplishment in Myspace? Seriously, where?

As for Google, the only great product I recall them releasing last year was Google Maps, which is a nice design. (The free version of Google Earth could be mentioned as well, although that's essentially a rebranded Keyhole Viewer, and as such not new at all.) Nice evolution, but hardly excellent.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

Excuse me? The Google or the Myspace boys? Its pretty obvious that they have been more influencial than Jobs last year. I still challenge you to say what difference Jobs made last year. It has all been continuations from former years. The iPod Mini->iPod Nano was natural evolution, the G5->Intel a mere necessity if the Mac wasn´t going to die within a few years and no product was released from that move in 2005.

In short Apple didn´t change the rules for anyone outside itself in 2005, much diffrerent from former year. The only ones really affected by Apple in 2005 was some pissed off developers.

With Apple's switch to Intel, introduction of Boot Camp, and plans to introduce Leopard within the year, Apple is clearly showing an ambitious corporate plan that has the potential to seriously take on Microsoft. This past year has demonstrated that he is a very talented "builder and titan." After all, in the past year we have seen the value of Apple exceed, if only for a short time, the value of Dell. Less than ten short years ago, Apple was on the very brink of bankruptcy. For me, that qualifies him very well.

What has MySpace done in the past year which it hasn't done in any of the previous years? I dunno. In my opinion, the only thing it's done is sucked every year.

Google, I could see as a possibility, but then again, in the past year, they haven't really done anything major or their company hasn't reached any milestones that I'm aware of. Perhaps if they had introduced a full fledged Google desktop, or perhaps a Google PC, then I could see them as a stronger candidate.

Edited: Spelling
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Myspace? So someone created a website that lets people post random crap from flash movies to ugly pictures to text. And? Where's the big accomplishment in Myspace? Seriously, where?

For the proponents of the internet as a social forum myspace is a huge milestone. Up until now places like this forum has been the pinnacle.

Quote:

As for Google, the only great product I recall them releasing last year was Google Maps, which is a nice design. (The free version of Google Earth could be mentioned as well, although that's essentially a rebranded Keyhole Viewer, and as such not new at all.) Nice evolution, but hardly excellent.

And Mac OS X is just Unix repacked! Its not the software as such but the spread of it plus the ability to interact with it on a communical plan, which demand a certain critical mass to work, which Google Earth have now. Gmail, that unofficial came out of its beta status in 2005, made email space virtually unlimited. The real advantage will first really materialize ten years from now.

Besides more and more of their services has begun to interact in 2005, forming the basis for a mini cosmos of itself on the net. Like that or not, that will be something other players will have to deal with in the future and it really took off last year.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

For the proponents of the internet as a social forum myspace is a huge milestone. Up until now places like this forum has been the pinnacle.

Yeah, I can see MySpace as a milestone for social forums, but the past year as MySpace has languished, other social forums have taken off, like Facebook, which, incidentally, shows no signs of slowing down last time I checked. A wide variety of other sites also pioneered MySpace's idea, such as LiveJournal (albeit with a slightly different twist). I fail to see what specifically about MySpace sets it apart and above the myriad of other social forums on the internet.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

There's much nicer examples of social networking. Flickr, del.icio.us and digg come to mind.

Quote:

And Mac OS X is just Unix repacked!

It is a whole lot more than that.

Quote:

Its not the software as such but the spread of it plus the ability to interact with it on a communical plan, which demand a certain critical mass to work, which Google Earth have now. Gmail, that unofficial came out of its beta status in 2005, made email space virtually unlimited. The real advantage will first really materialize ten years from now.

Besides more and more of their services has begun to interact in 2005, forming the basis for a mini cosmos of itself on the net. Like that or not, that will be something other players will have to deal with in the future and it really took off last year.

Like it or not, there hasn't been anything huge from Google in the past year. Not a thing.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:

With Apple's switch to Intel, introduction of Boot Camp, and plans to introduce Leopard within the year, Apple is clearly showing an ambitious corporate plan that has the potential to seriously take on Microsoft. This past year has demonstrated that he is a very talented "builder and titan." After all, in the past year we have seen the value of Apple exceed, if only for a short time, the value of Dell. Less than ten short years ago, Apple was on the very brink of bankruptcy. For me, that qualifies him very well.

Leopard, of which we know nothing about, not even its release date, marks a slow down in OS development at Apple. The switch to Intel marks a vital and nessesary step if Apple were not to die out, not something that changed the industry in any way. And Boot Camp? 1) Who didn´t expect that to happen at some time? 2) already Open Source verion was out there. Not polished or anything, but it would have been when Apple eventually release Leopard (whenever that happens) and 3) 3rd part solutions overtook Apple within 24 hours of the release of Boot Camp. The only reason Boot Camp got so much attention is because it was released at a time no other news had escaped Apple for some time and because it wasn´t released within a normal .x update of Mac OS X.

Then you talk about its stock. For one AAPL is not really bulling right now is it? And stock price doesn´t really reflects influence, only expected sale by some analysts who we have established long time ago, doesn´t deserve their pay check.

And then you talk about a ten year period. Apple wasn´t turned around within the last year, was it? Give him a "noticeable decade of performance" award, not for his current work.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

Yeah, I can see MySpace as a milestone for social forums, but the past year as MySpace has languished, other social forums have taken off, like Facebook, which, incidentally, shows no signs of slowing down last time I checked. A wide variety of other sites also pioneered MySpace's idea, such as LiveJournal (albeit with a slightly different twist). I fail to see what specifically about MySpace sets it apart and above the myriad of other social forums on the internet.

Well then lets just say they did more than Jobs for the last year. The last eyar has been a stalemate for Apple compared to former year. No new OS (first year in half a decade), no new computer (The mini was released more than a year ago). Only a replacement for the iPod Mini
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:

It is a whole lot more than that.

So is Google Earth. It has the user ase to make it different, critical mass point from myprevious post.

Quote:

Like it or not, there hasn't been anything huge from Google in the past year. Not a thing.

Gmail, Google Earth, Google Video and a lot of smaller implementations and especially interaction between the parts plus user interaction. 2005 was the year it became clear Google would turn into its own small eco system. Thats the big change.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

So is Google Earth. It has the user ase to make it different, critical mass point from myprevious post.

Gmail, Google Earth, Google Video and a lot of smaller implementations and especially interaction between the parts plus user interaction. 2005 was the year it became clear Google would turn into its own small eco system. Thats the big change.

Touché.

In Steve's defense, he did become the largest shareholder by far in Disney, which is no lemonade stand. His corporate maneuvering has put him in a powerful place in terms of technology and media for the future.

You praise Google for creating their own eco system, however they did not do that in just the past year. It has been a culmination of years of planning, effort and development, combined with success. I praise Steve Jobs for nearly single handedly turning around a failing company, and turning it into a strong, successful enterprise, with an even stronger future. But like Google, they did not do that in just the past year; this past year of financial success is the culmination of years of planning, effort and development, combined with success.

Granted, stock price isn't a concrete value of a company's worth, but a quick look at a chart plotting AAPL vs. time clearly indicates impressive performance. Every company has their bubbles, but Apple isn't a 1990's dotcom company.

Quote:

Leopard, of which we know nothing about, not even its release date, marks a slow down in OS development at Apple. The switch to Intel marks a vital and nessesary step if Apple were not to die out, not something that changed the industry in any way. And Boot Camp? 1) Who didn´t expect that to happen at some time? 2) already Open Source verion was out there. Not polished or anything, but it would have been when Apple eventually release Leopard (whenever that happens) and 3) 3rd part solutions overtook Apple within 24 hours of the release of Boot Camp. The only reason Boot Camp got so much attention is because it was released at a time no other news had escaped Apple for some time and because it wasn´t released within a normal .x update of Mac OS X.

Point duly noted. However, I think Leopard will feel more than just like a point increment to OS X. I dunno, it's just a hunch, since Microsoft will be introducing Vista soon (so they tell us) and this is a great chance for Apple to really make people think about the quality of Microsoft products; if there ever was a time for Apple to pull out all the stops, this would be it.

Anyways, I admit, my case for Steve Jobs is not air tight. When all else fails, I rely on the barbeque test. Would I rather have the Google nerds or Steve Jobs at my back year BBQ? I pick Steve. Hell, if people can use the BBQ test for presidential elections, then it's certainly qualified for a Time magazine online poll.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    mac_dollmac_doll Posts: 527member
    david christ superstar: If Steve were to go to your barbeque, make sure to serve some vegan dishes.

I'm a dork. I know.