Apple's iBook successor may sport fashionable hues

Comments

• Reply 41 of 208
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

And on the inside of all pre G4 Powerbooks. I loved my Pismo. No problem with the black insides that beast 8)

Er, that wasn't glossy black, but matt-finished black.
  • Reply 42 of 208
    Wouldn't mind if the colors were done like the Nintendo DS Lite:

• Reply 43 of 208
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

He didn't say it was glossy black, he said black.

And the Nintendo DS lite is glossy on the outside and matt finish in the middle.

Maybe it will be a mix of aluminium and plastic, like a Mac mini??!!??!!
  • Reply 44 of 208
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

There are a hell of a lot of black-on-the-inside Toshibas and Acers... I wonder what they are like.

Horrible. The shiny black plastic shows up fingerprints something terrible. What I don't get with some of these shiny black laptops is that they continue the shiny plastic onto the screen so there's no anti-glare coating. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

It'd be nice if they went back to the original 2001 Ice-book iBook (G3 500Mhz model) which had a translucent white plastic shell with surrounding a silver core. The later solid white iBooks look a lot cheaper by comparison.
  • Reply 45 of 208
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ajprice

He didn't say it was glossy black, he said black.

But he quoted someone who had quoted me, and thus referred to me. And I had specifically criticized glossy black.

(A.k.a. "RTFT".)
  • Reply 46 of 208
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    I did "RTFT", his reference was to black pre G4 powerbooks -

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Anders

And on the inside of all pre G4 Powerbooks. I loved my Pismo. No problem with the black insides that beast

Anders referred to the black pre G4 Powerbooks, which is the part you quoted and went on about it not being glossy black. If you are going to say "he quoted him who quoted him who quoted me..." then in that case I must be related to Carlos Santana because my uncle plays guitar.
  • Reply 47 of 208
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    Cool, I'm looking forward to this. I would welcome anyway that allows Apple to appeal to a larger segment of consumers.
  • Reply 48 of 208
    Quote:

Originally posted by amac4me

Cool, I'm looking forward to this. I would welcome anyway that allows Apple to appeal to a larger segment of consumers.

yeah if this does indeed happen, it will be all about market mindshare.

Imagine you are walking down the street you get a glance of someone with a pink/green/red/black/white MacBook, immeadiately grabs your attention rather than a boring normal laptop (maybe not so much the black one). You will notice them more and more giving the view that everyone has a mac laptop and why done you. As you probably see loads of normal laptops in a day but you dont remeber them, but even if you only saw one a day or even less it would stick out in your memory or at least grab your attention for 5 seconds or more.

Look what happen to the iPod, very noticable especially with the headphones.

Or it could just be MacBook socks
  • Reply 49 of 208
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

eew, in my mind that looks really gross.

I suppose you find the iMac really gross too. Since that's basically what it is...white with an alumimum stand.
  • Reply 50 of 208
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    Quote:

Originally posted by solsun

The same material they used for the iPod mini would be nice. Those things were extremely durable.

Too heavy!

• Reply 51 of 208
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

"Pimp My Mac"?

jajjajaajajajajajajaaj!

• Reply 52 of 208
    Quote:

Originally posted by FireEmblemPride

Wouldn't mind if the colors were done like the Nintendo DS Lite:

Nintendo DS "rocks"

• Reply 53 of 208
    Wow! That black MacBook looks stunningly like every other notebook in the PC world! Fantastically boring!

Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

A 13.3-inch model wouldn't have as much (if any) space to the sides of the keyboard. I also don't see ExpressCard appearing on the MacBook, although that would certainly be a welcome surprise. I like the strong black on the outside, but the glossy black on the inside could be too distracting.

• Reply 54 of 208
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

I suppose you find the iMac really gross too. Since that's basically what it is...white with an alumimum stand.

OK, I guess they do the same thing with the mac mini, But in my mind it just doesn't look attractive on a laptop. I don't know why. But that's no problem to worry about, if apple DID do that, I'm sure it would be attractive.
  • Reply 54 of 208
    Here's a color idea!

• Reply 56 of 208
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Colors are watched very closely by the fashion industries, automobile industries, etc. There is a whole consulting/predicting sub-industry built around telling manufacturers what the next popular colors will be. This is also cyclic.

I found only one website in a quick Google search that might offer some clues:

http://www.dorlastan.com/98/Fall_Winter_2006_2007.htm

This is more related to clothing...but you get the idea. If someone can find some reliable research reports telling what the next "hip" color palette is/will be...then you might have a hint of where Apple is/might be going.

That said, I'm guessing white and black.
  • Reply 57 of 208
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macinJosh

Here's a color idea!

strangely intriguing, yet pukish. I hope it doesn't have that icky beige box texture.

I'll just be happy with any new iBook/MacBook/CrackBook. Start shipping, I need a ...tablet.
  • Reply 58 of 208
    fishafisha Posts: 126member
    why not have a translucent cover with LEDs behind it that can change the cover colour to whatever you want when its switched on.
  • Reply 59 of 208
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macinJosh

Here's a color idea!

ROFLMAO i vote it as Mock-up of the year!!
  • Reply 60 of 208
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

Horrible. The shiny black plastic shows up fingerprints something terrible. What I don't get with some of these shiny black laptops is that they continue the shiny plastic onto the screen so there's no anti-glare coating. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

It'd be nice if they went back to the original 2001 Ice-book iBook (G3 500Mhz model) which had a translucent white plastic shell with surrounding a silver core. The later solid white iBooks look a lot cheaper by comparison.

you should walk around most IT centres in Asia. It's all the rage. Most people in Asia look at a simple white iMac and iBook and are probably like WTF is that. Why is it not black/silver with a shiny glossy screen........................ White elegance is somehow not an Asian thing, I would propose. At least not in Malaysia