Apple Store and educational discount

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
If you show documentation in a physical Apple Store, will they give you educational discount?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    I have often wondered this myself. I thought I once heard that this was not an acceptable practice, but I am not certain.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    My guess is yes. Just a couple weeks ago I was able to get a government employee discount on a garageband jampack using my work ID.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I hope so. If so, then in the autumn one of the students here will be the winner of a trip to an Apple Store where you will buy a MacBook Pro Merom to me with my money, when I cash in a free trip to US won a year ago
  • Reply 4 of 10
    awalawal Posts: 66member
    yes, I have received my Education discount on multiple occations at the Apple Store just by flashing my school ID.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    corkurkcorkurk Posts: 90member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AWAL

yes, I have received my Education discount on multiple occations at the Apple Store just by flashing my school ID.

So have I. Used it twice in the past two years for computer and software purchases. I think when the retail stores first opened they didn't do the educational discount. However, since then they have added the option.

The process was really simple. All they did was make a copy of my ID. Not sure if they do any kind of follow-up work later on to see if you are actually enrolled. My college ID doesn't have an expiration date, so there is no visible way to tell if you are still in school or not.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    I go to a school in Canada, and I plan on going to the US pretty soon, do you think they will give me the education discount?

- Noah
  • Reply 7 of 10
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    They do for hardware but not for software.

I tried to purchase Tiger on release day and they wouldn't sell it to me for education price. URG!
  • Reply 8 of 10
    awalawal Posts: 66member
    Quote:

Originally posted by noah93

I go to a school in Canada, and I plan on going to the US pretty soon, do you think they will give me the education discount?

- Noah

I snooped around the apple.com/ca site and there seems to be education discounts for you crazy people too. (heres the link ) Not sure if that will work.

Anyway, your canadian school ID should work. Like corkurk said, they're pretty lenient.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    mac_dollmac_doll Posts: 527member
    Though I've never had the pleasure of shopping in a physical store, I don't see why they wouldn't allow it. I wish I had a store near me; the closest one is six to eight hours away.

I've taken advantage of my student discount on every purchase I made at the online store. I love it. Thanks for caring, Apple!
  • Reply 10 of 10
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    As tacojohn said, they do it for hardware, but not for software. They will direct you to their online store if you want to buy software. Hardware, on the other hand, they sell you gladly.