Mighty Mouse

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hey, When is apple going to realease a wireless Mighty Mouse? It seems like such a trivial question, but at the same time how hard can it be for apple designers to create a wireless Mighty Mouse?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Destyrabbs23

Hey, When is apple going to realease a wireless Mighty Mouse? It seems like such a trivial question, but at the same time how hard can it be for apple designers to create a wireless Mighty Mouse?

Not that easy!
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

Not that easy!

Why?
  • Reply 3 of 20
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    The only big issue is probably power draw.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    objra10objra10 Posts: 679member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

Not that easy!

Why not? Besides, the question was "how hard can it be" not "how easy is it not?"
  • Reply 5 of 20
    curmicurmi Posts: 70member
    The current one button wireless mouse sucks up batteries like crazy. I would assume the mighty mouse equivalent does so even more, as it monitors touch sensors and a scroll wheel continually. This could be the problem. Not to mention they have to fit all the electronics in there, and maybe it is pretty tight already.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curmi

The current one button wireless mouse sucks up batteries like crazy. I would assume the mighty mouse equivalent does so even more, as it monitors touch sensors and a scroll wheel continually. This could be the problem. Not to mention they have to fit all the electronics in there, and maybe it is pretty tight already.

They suck power faster than Courtney Love sucks...

Which is why mine is in storage rather than on my desk.

Corey

• Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Corey

They suck power faster than Courtney Love sucks...

• Reply 8 of 20
    My microsoft 5 button optical mouse has been on the same two batterys for about 6 months at high usage. Why do the Apple ones use so much power?
  • Reply 9 of 20
    I think the reason why we haven't seen one yet is the scroll ball. If you want to have perfectly smooth scrolling with such a small ball, it would likely burn batteries! Besides it would be difficult instant response with such a tiny ball too, there would probably be a slight lag, and a jumpy response using current bluetooth! Apple does not like too many buttons, Steve hates them! That's why we they are reluctant to do the 2 button thing to their notebooks. That's why we are seeing so many patents for touch-pads etc. If apple does not like something they generally don't ad because others do! They try and re-think the whole process, they think different! That's why we see this term the whole time! The one problem with this is the technology probably has not met their current vision of the way things will be. So I would expect a totally new way of using computers, in the next 5-7 years. One we couldn't have even imagined if apple didn't show us the way!
  • Reply 10 of 20
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Who cares if a wireless Mighty Mouse is hard to make, it's what they need to make!

It makes no sense to offer both a 1 button and 2 button mouse, they need to unify the product line.

That's how they'll get the mighty mouse to be fully adopted.

It needs to be done.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

Who cares if a wireless Mighty Mouse is hard to make, it's what they need to make!

It makes no sense to offer both a 1 button and 2 button mouse, they need to unify the product line.

That's how they'll get the mighty mouse to be fully adopted.

It needs to be done.

I don't think they just said it's too much hard work to make it, I think they can't make it reliably enough to sell it!
  • Reply 12 of 20
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

And flying cars. WHERE THE H... ARE MY GODDAMFLYING CARS. I WAS TOLD THEY WOULD BE HERE NOW!!!
  • Reply 13 of 20
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

And flying cars. WHERE THE H... ARE MY GODDAMFLYING CARS. I WAS TOLD THEY WOULD BE HERE NOW!!!

I wan't a robot housemaid that doesn't look like a hockey puck.

• Reply 14 of 20
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HammerIntoApple

My microsoft 5 button optical mouse has been on the same two batterys for about 6 months at high usage. Why do the Apple ones use so much power?

Probably because it works nearly 30 ft away from the computer.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Where as my MS one works about 6 feet away from the computer if I'm lucky and theres nothing too thick in the way. Good point.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    ibuzzibuzz Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curmi

Yup, i agree, power is the problen. wht can't they just make it bigger and put in "C" batteries. Put 3 or 4 of those babies in there and we could really cruise..8)
  • Reply 17 of 20
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave K.

Probably because it works nearly 30 ft away from the computer.

I don't really get this point. How many people work 30 ft away from the computer? If you are using a 17 or 20 inch iMac at native resolution, there is no way you could read the screen from much more than six feet away. How many people have or need a computer driving an 80" monitor? I live in a two bedroom apartment. There is barely 30 ft from one end to the other. If Front Row is what you are after, there is a remote control for that. Where is the big market for the 30 ft distant control of a computer? Why should such a small market keep apple from putting out a more traditional BT mouse. Everyone else has managed to do it with more features. There has to be another explanation.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Personally I think it's a poor design. Sorry, Microsoft and Logitech absolutely blow away Apple's mice. It simply isn't a good working design compared to whats out there on the market. The mighty mouse that I got with my iMac was dumped back in the box with the styrofoam, its that bad. And yes, I've used one for more than a day.

So until they make a 'good' one, what's the point of making it wireless? Just my opinion. It might be the hoosiwatsit of the century for you, so don't take offense.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Voyer

I don't really get this point. How many people work 30 ft away from the computer? If you are using a 17 or 20 inch iMac at native resolution, there is no way you could read the screen from much more than six feet away. How many people have or need a computer driving an 80" monitor? I live in a two bedroom apartment. There is barely 30 ft from one end to the other. If Front Row is what you are after, there is a remote control for that. Where is the big market for the 30 ft distant control of a computer? Why should such a small market keep apple from putting out a more traditional BT mouse. Everyone else has managed to do it with more features. There has to be another explanation.

A lot people use macs through their tvs now, not just for front row stuff. They have the keyboard and mouse on near their couch.

I don't think anyone would have a problem with a more traditional BT mouse.

I don't care if it's the current BT mouse but with a slit down the front for a second button and a scroll wheel inbetween.

I just...need...a...BT...2 button...mouse...that matches the apple keyboard.

I refuse to buy the current BT mouse and I HATE wasting a usb port on any wireless basestation or the mouse that's currently in it.

I have the BT keyboard and I've had it going on 5 months now and still have 4 bars on my keyboard and don't waste a port on it. I love it.

That's what I want in a mouse.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    curmicurmi Posts: 70member
    Quote:

I have the BT keyboard and I've had it going on 5 months now and still have 4 bars on my keyboard and don't waste a port on it. I love it.

That's what I want in a mouse.

I also have the BT Keyboard. The batteries last 9 months or more. Fantastic.

The BT mouse though is useless. Not just because of the single button, it just chews through batteries. Even if you buy the expensive type that it originally came with. Every 3 months you need to replace them. It is just too much of a pain.