Google Calender and iCal

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi all

Google Calendar was released today and it looks nice enough, apparently it works with iCal. Can anyone tell me how to do this? It just gives me a url, where do I add this in iCal?

Also does anyone know if these actually sync, i.e. If I add it to iCal it shows in Google and if I add it to Google it shows in iCal?

Thanks

Denver

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Site seems heavily overloaded right now.

Presumably, the URL they're giving you points to an iCalendar (.ics) file. If the URL starts with "http", you can try replacing that with "webcal", and iCal should add it. You can also try entering it in iCal's "Subscribec" dialog.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Alright, here goes.

Settings -> Calendars -> (click the calendar) -> Private Address

You should see an XML link and an ICAL link. Copy the ICAL link's URL.

Then, go to iCal -> Calendar -> Subscribec and paste the URL in there. Finally, you'll want to give it a name, tell it to update regularly, and not delete the events and ToDo's.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    While you can track Google Calendar's changes this way, it doesn't really work the other way around. You can manually import your stuff from iCal, but that's not really what you want. You can also publish your iCal calendar to a WebDAV server, then tell Google Calendar to access that ("Public Calendar Address"), but that's probably not gonna be editable.

As such, I don't believe there's currently a sync solution.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Thanks all

It seems pretty pointles to get it into iCal if they don't sync - my idea was to access google at work (windows PC) and use iCal at home. But if I have to access google all the time to edit whats the point in getting iCal involved?

Google seems to do stuff really well but then always misses out the final bit that would make it really sweet. Like IMAP in GMail or this calender syncing business.

Thanks

Denver
  • Reply 5 of 10
    As I work on PC's at work and on a Mac at home, a web based calendar works really great for me. I've tried multiple other solutions before, but is just the easiest.

On a side note, I'm really starting to enjoy all of these web-based productivity apps. They really are improving quite fast and are quite usable for day-to-day office tasks and save you the hassle of constantly moving around files when you have to work on multiple computers. For now, I'm trying out Zoho and really am liking the simplicity of it all.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    looks good but I think i'm going to stick with 30boxes.com for now because I like the interface a bit better.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    I would like it if they added a publish feature. It would basically be a place on google to upload an ics calendar file. Then you link to that from iCal and the calendar is in Google Calendar. This would be useful, as I can often find myself on a uni computer and need to know where a lecture is or if I'm free at a time. I wouldn't be too fussed if it didn't sync.

Although my Sony Ericsson K750 does this anyway... Anywhere, anytime.

They have nearly all the features of .Mac now; email, calendar, website design (if a tad shoddy), groups. Unfortunately, none of them are fully there really. Google Mail with IMAP and Calendar with syncing would be nice though.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dutch pear

On a side note, I'm really starting to enjoy all of these web-based productivity apps. They really are improving quite fast and are quite usable for day-to-day office tasks and save you the hassle of constantly moving around files when you have to work on multiple computers. For now, I'm trying out Zoho and really am liking the simplicity of it all.

Yeah. This AJAX stuff is reallly pretty cool.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    bborofkabborofka Posts: 230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dutch pear

It seems to me like Google is trying to breed the perfect Office killer with free, web-based apps and I'm A-OK with that.

My only concern right now is Safari's support for these apps. GMail itself has way more features in Firefox than Safari. Google Calendar won't even work in Safari. Zoho favors Firefox. Firefox is nice, but I like using a true Mac/Cocoa web browser. I only wonder if there's just too much limitation with Cocoa APIs for these web apps (for example: is it even possible to have GMail's text editing features inside an NSTextView?), or if it's just a matter of time before they expand Safari support. I know Safari isn't the most popular web browser out there, but it's definitely gaining momentum...
  • Reply 10 of 10
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    I have simply stopped using Safari because of the problems logging in to Gmail.