Time for Apple to work with Yahoo/Messenger?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
With both the iMac and MacBook Pro shipping with built-in iSight cams, isn't it time Apple makes use of this feature?

Yes, it works with iChat and AOL, but you need a .Mac account.

Apple needs to work things out with the big players Yahoo and MSN.

I would love to use all video chat features of Yahoo and MSN Messenger without having to resort to using BootCamp.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    rara Posts: 623member
    AOL IM accounts work too.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    artanisartanis Posts: 156member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

With both the iMac and MacBook Pro shipping with built-in iSight cams, isn't it time Apple makes use of this feature?

Yes, it works with iChat and AOL, but you need a .Mac account.

Apple needs to work things out with the big players Yahoo and MSN.

I would love to use all video chat features of Yahoo and MSN Messenger without having to resort to using BootCamp.

What is this BootCamp ?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Artanis

What is this BootCamp ?

Discussed elsewhere, primarily in the OS and Generel Discussion subforums.

In short: Apples half assed attempt to let you boot into Windows on your Intel Mac released a couple of days ago, later same day totally eclipsed by the release of a public beta of virtualization software that lets you run Windows within Mac OS X at near (90%) normal speed for comparable hardware.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Quote:

...Apple needs to work things out with the big players Yahoo and MSN.

Yep. Time Apple got their finger out and gave Mac users more options for Video chat. iChat stinks at the moment.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    One of the things that put me off switching before the MBP came out was the really poor MSN for Mac, since I use MSN to keep in touch with lots of my friends. And as it is I have no use for the iSight since I don't know anyone who uses iChat.

On the other hand, I beleve it's Microsoft rather then Apple that's at fault here, since Microsoft are rumnoured to be pretty cagey about other messengeing progams being used for MSN. Ideally, I'd love to see MSN compatable iChat anyway.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

You could just use aMSN. That supported video last I looked.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    lexicon5lexicon5 Posts: 572member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

You could just use aMSN. That supported video last I looked.

Yes and fairly well too. There are mixed reviews on it...and it's still in 'beta" (0.95) and I don't think it is Universal yet.

The .Mac accounts for iChat are free last I checked.

iChat also works with the Google chat thing...I know all of zero people who use GoogleChat however.

I e-mailed Yahoo a fairly direct opinion of their product and asked when they were gonna get off their @$$es and make a quality client seeing how CoreAudio, CoreVideo and other Core items were so easy to come to grips with and could EASILY school the Win version...they sent back their stock BS answers about the Mac not being as popular yadda yadda yadda crap. The Mac version is still at v.2.5.3 while the other world is on v.7.x beta....