Apple releases Aperture 1.1

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Universal version of company's professional photography software delivers improved RAW quality, better performance, and a new lower price.

Apple today released Aperture 1.1, a significant update to its all-in-one post production tool for photographers. The Universal update, delayed from last month's expected release, runs natively on both Intel- and PowerPC-based Macs and features dramatically improved RAW image rendering and a new set of advanced RAW adjustment controls. Aperture 1.1 also delivers impressive speed gains on any Mac including desktop-like performance on a MacBook Pro with image adjustments and searching up to 4 times faster, according to Apple. Apple also announced that it has reduced the price to $299 so as to put it "within reach of anyone shooting with a digital SLR camera."

"Since Aperture launched just over four months ago, we've been incredibly focused on improving image quality and performance, working closely with pro photographers to get it right in 1.1," said Rob Schoeben, Apple's vice president of Applications Marketing. "With the RAW quality and overall speed of Aperture 1.1 and its new low price, there's never been a better time for pros and hobbyists alike to take the art and craft of photography to the next level."

Apple said that RAW image rendering in Aperture 1.1 is greatly improved in areas such as noise reduction, sharpening, and highlight recovery. Version 1.1 features new RAW Fine Tuning controls to allow photographers to tweak decode settings such as boost, sharpening and chroma blur. It also offers a new built-in color meter that displays pixel values in RGB, Lab or CMYK in the Adjustments HUD (heads up display) or in Aperture's Loupe magnifying viewer.

In addition, Aperture 1.1 features enhanced export controls to make it easier to output images at specific resolutions and improve the handling of layered Photoshop files. It offers support for the Nikon D200 and Canon 30D, as well as dozens of reliability and performance improvements, according to the company.

Aperture 1.1 delivers significant performance gains on both PowerPC-based and the new Intel-based Macs providing photographers with desktop-level experience on the new MacBook Pro and delivering a powerful entry-level photography workstation on the new Intel-based iMac. According to the company, performance tests on a MacBook Pro have shown that common repetitive workflow tasks such as Lift and Stamp and searching are processed up to 4x faster on a MacBook Pro than on a PowerBook G4.

Aperture 1.1 is available immediately as a free Software Update to current Aperture 1.0 customers. In addition, early adopters of Aperture 1.0 can claim a $200 coupon (redeemable at the Apple Online Store) as a thank you for their support. Aperture 1.1 is available to order for new customers for $300 through the Apple Store and other retailers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 136
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Yeah baby

$149 Academic. I'm really looking forward to Aperture now but I'll likely be getting it in version 2.0 because I need a decent camera right now.
  • Reply 2 of 136
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Yeah baby

$149 Academic. I'm really looking forward to Aperture now but I'll likely be getting it in version 2.0 because I need a decent camera right now.

The Canon 30D is sweet. Too bad I have a 300D I have to live with for a few years.
  • Reply 3 of 136
    I think that is really cool that Apple is refunding $200 to people who bought Aperture at $499.

I wonder if they gave back $49,300 to the last people who bought WebObjects. (One day a few years back, WO went from $50,000 to $699 overnight. I wish Apple sold gasoline!)
  • Reply 4 of 136
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

The Canon 30D is sweet. Too bad I have a 300D I have to live with for a few years.

I'd love to have the 30D or the Nikon D200 but honestly both cameras are beyond my talent right now which is fledgling at best.

I'll probably look towards a Panny Lumix for a starter camera and then look to upgrade. The only problem is the Panny doesn't take RAW (not a huge deal but I'd like to learn how to work with RAW)

LOL "Apple Gas...insanely great octane".

Aperture must not have sold well at $499. No worries at $300 it makes a nice jump from iPhoto that's not too spendy.
  • Reply 5 of 136
    Quote:

Yeah baby

But can you upgrade the Academic version?

Unfortunately, with most of the Apple pro apps, the academic versions are worthless since they can't be upgraded.
  • Reply 6 of 136
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    The $200 coupon is a great thing! Not many companies will give credit back to past customers when a product drops in price.

Quote:

Originally posted by minderbinder

Unfortunately, with most of the Apple pro apps, the academic versions are worthless since they can't be upgraded.

Not so--last I checked, you can still come out ahead. When it comes time to upgrade you don't get the non-edu upgrade price, but you still get a steep edu discount all over again.
  • Reply 7 of 136
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    So we see that a little competition hurt.

hmurchison: a Nikon D50 is a perfect "starter" camera. It's pretty much D70, sans the 2-inch viewfinder. At the current price of $549, it is a steal.

I shoot thousands of images a week and I use it for pro photography. For a beginner, it is more than enough.
  • Reply 8 of 136
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

hmurchison: a Nikon D50 is a perfect "starter" camera. It's pretty much D70, sans the 2-inch viewfinder. At the current price of $549, it is a steal.

Oh yeah I always forget the D50 and Rebel XT. Do you think the D50 is more featured than the Rebel?

Chosing between Nikon and Canon is liking choosing between two sets of inlaws. Once you're in..you're in(Accesorywise).
  • Reply 9 of 136
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by minderbinder

But can you upgrade the Academic version?

That's true of most academic versions.

I bought the program by virtue of doing work for the board of Ed here in NYC. They asked, on the site, what I did, and I bought it for $249. It looks the same to me, box and everything. I don't see why it wouldn't be upgradable.

I also wonder if we are entitled to a rebate.

Now, it would be cool if we could get the same $200 coupon. Of course, it must be spent in the Apple store.

I get the distinct feeling the program has not been taking off as quickly as Apple thought it would.

Instead of positioning this as a strictly professional app, as they tried to do, now they are positioning it as being for everyone with a digital camera.

It needed more pro features if it was going to be a pro app.
  • Reply 10 of 136
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

I shoot thousands of images a week and I use it for pro photography. For a beginner, it is more than enough.

It all depends on whether you are a Canon person or a Nikon person.

The divide is almost as great as Windows and Mac.

Actually, that's what I compare computers to, rather than to the tired old auto argument.

The Nikon D50 is a pretty good camera. As is the 200.

But, I am a Canon person. I have too many lenses to cross over, even if I thought I should. I know Nikon users in the same boat.

The other manufacturers simply don't count right now.
  • Reply 11 of 136
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    All around Apple covered the bases pretty good. Now that the graphics cards in its pro line and the iMac are all updated that's no longer a problem.

But I can already see the one sore place people are going to complain.

Aperture won't work on the Mac mini with its integrated graphics. And likely won't work on the MacBook.
  • Reply 12 of 136
    Quote:

Oh yeah I always forget the D50 and Rebel XT. Do you think the D50 is more featured than the Rebel?

Chosing between Nikon and Canon is liking choosing between two sets of inlaws. Once you're in..you're in(Accesorywise).

They are both pretty good cameras.

Check out this site. Steve is pretty good. his reviews are also done well.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

Also this.

http://www.dcresource.com/

If you want to learn a good deal about digital photography, Michael's site is unmatched. He's one of the best photog's working today.

http://luminous-landscape.com/

Canon is also offering rebates on certain cameras and lenses.

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/app/pd..._ClaimForm.pdf

If you live in Europe there is:

http://www.canon-europe.com/2006promotions

I'm not sure if Nikon has rebates right now. I know they did recently, but I don't know if it's over. I couldn't find it.

Maybe Gene knows.
  • Reply 13 of 136
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

I also wonder if we are entitled to a rebate.

According to the referenced web page at Apple about the coupon, education users get a $100 coupon...

(edit) By the way, Mel, thanks for the links... I hope to be able to afford Aperture later this year, the price reduction should help...
  • Reply 14 of 136
    Quote:

Originally posted by rwahrens

According to the referenced web page at Apple about the coupon, education users get a $100 coupon...

(edit) By the way, Mel, thanks for the links... I hope to be able to afford Aperture later this year, the price reduction should help...

Good. I didn't see that. Thanks!

You're welcome.
  • Reply 15 of 136
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Apple tends to stick it to the early adopters, don't they?

Seperate Final Cut Pro, Soundtrack and DVD Pro purchases by me only resulted in all programs being folded into the Final Cut Studio package, and big discounting.

Now, history repeats with Aperture... what's next?

I'd advise anyone to just wait until the 2nd generation of any Apple offering if you want to make out like a bandit... burns me up
  • Reply 16 of 136
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macFanDave

I think that is really cool that Apple is refunding $200 to people who bought Aperture at $499.

I agree! Nice work Apple!

Meanwhile, I think the price drop is about encouraging Aperture adoption and helping to compete against Adobe's Lightroom. I don't use either, but if I was a photo nut I'd probably have already ran out and picked up Aperture.

Now we wait for the 1.0 v 1.1 v 1.1 intel benchmarks. Based on some basic Final Cut Pro intel benchmarks I saw yesterday, I'd expect the new Core Duo macs to come out on top!
  • Reply 17 of 136
    producerproducer Posts: 283member
    I realize I can buy the $150 educational and then re-buy the educational version when 2.0 comes out.. BUT.. I rather have a retail copy.. so... can anyone confirm a real upgrade from educational to retail? They have allowed the educational versions of final cut apps to upgrade to Studio so perhaps they have finally changed their policy..
  • Reply 18 of 136
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

All around Apple covered the bases pretty good. Now that the graphics cards in its pro line and the iMac are all updated that's no longer a problem.

But I can already see the one sore place people are going to complain.

Aperture won't work on the Mac mini with its integrated graphics. And likely won't work on the MacBook.

They can complain all they want. You simply can't expect to run any program on a entry level computer. Aperture is Semi-Pro at best. If you couldn't run it on the iBook or the Mini previously then what makes you think you could run it now. I'm sick of uneducated consumers bitching and moaning about things that are clearly stated on the box. Same applies for those who just want everything for nothing.
  • Reply 19 of 136
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Seperate Final Cut Pro, Soundtrack and DVD Pro purchases by me only resulted in all programs being folded into the Final Cut Studio package, and big discounting.

Well its a strategic thing you can't necessarily do from the beginning. Apple of course wanted to make a healthy profit from FCP, Soundtrack, Motion, DVD Pro.

At this point I'm sure they have made a very nice profit as these are the dominant tools in independent video and film. Apple cannot depend on momentum alone, Apple needs to offer incentives for new purchases of Final Cut Studio and current users to purchase updates.

Combining the apps into a package and selling them cheaper will continue its adoption, usage, and dominance.

Plus advancement in OS X and hardware have opened Final Cut Studio to be used on more than only the most expensive PowerMacs which allows Apple to make more money from the app suite.

Of course Lightroom offers compelling competition to Aperture, which Adobe will adamantly push. Apple realistically saw where Aperture fit into the market place and felt the need to adjust its price. Which is good. Some people will choose Aperture some will choose Lightroom.
  • Reply 20 of 136
    producerproducer Posts: 283member
    Idea #2 I could buy the 1.0 copy now for $400 and then get the $200 rebate which would bring me down to $200.. The coupon doesn't say anything about buying after the 13th so it should be fine. Then I could use that towards the new iPhone when it's released in 2020