Apple releases Aperture 1.1

Comments

• Reply 21 of 136
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    Apple is a classy company.

I wonder where all the folks are who posted nasty things about Apple when the price reduction was only a rumor and no one knew about the rebate.

It would be nice for those folks to come forward and post a mea culpa...

Either way, Apple proves yet again when they are such a great company worthy of our loyalty.
  • Reply 22 of 136
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

Apple tends to stick it to the early adopters, don't they?

Seperate Final Cut Pro, Soundtrack and DVD Pro purchases by me only resulted in all programs being folded into the Final Cut Studio package, and big discounting.

Now, history repeats with Aperture... what's next?

I'd advise anyone to just wait until the 2nd generation of any Apple offering if you want to make out like a bandit... burns me up

What, exactly, are you upset about? People parted with their $499 of their own free will, and now they get a $200 apple store coupon. Seems like a fine arrangement to me.
  • Reply 23 of 136
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Oh yeah I always forget the D50 and Rebel XT. Do you think the D50 is more featured than the Rebel?

Chosing between Nikon and Canon is liking choosing between two sets of inlaws. Once you're in..you're in(Accesorywise).

Feature-wise, they're comparable. But where Nikon D50 feels like a well-built, solid camera, the Rebel seems cheap and plasticy. If you can, go to some local camera shop and compare them.

The Canon will feel cheap, like a Dell notebook, while the Nikon will feel sturdy, rugged and well-built, like a MBP. I'm neither a Canon or Nikon person exclusively, I use the best tool for the job. I think Nikon D50 is better right now.

If you had a lot of investemen in Canon glass, then the XT would be the better choice. If you don't, then I'd say go with Nikon.
  • Reply 24 of 136
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

I agree! Those people who bought the original Macintosh. Sheeshh! 8MHz CPU and 128 KB of memory for $3000. If they had just waited 20 years they could have a machine 500 times as fast with 4000 times as much memory (not to mention a hard drive) for that kind of money.
  • Reply 25 of 136
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Seperate Final Cut Pro, Soundtrack and DVD Pro purchases by me only resulted in all programs being folded into the Final Cut Studio package, and big discounting.

Now, history repeats with Aperture... what's next?

I'd advise anyone to just wait until the 2nd generation of any Apple offering if you want to make out like a bandit... burns me up

If you've followed Apple's professional pricing over the years, you would have noticed that this is what they do. They add features, and keep the price the same, unlike most every other company. They also add programs to the mix for the price of the original program.

When I had FCP and Apple came out with Cinema Tools, that cost me another $999. The same price as FCP itself. But then later they rolled it into FCP, with no increase in FCP's price, which you might have noticed didn't go up a dime from the first day it was released.

I don't know anyone, including myself, who got pissed at Apple for that. My thought was It was great that Apple was doing that, because it gave more people a reason to go and buy FCP. Also, I wouldn't have to pay to upgrade TWO programs, only one.

So, this doesn't piss me off either.

The only problem is for those who actually use only FCP, fewer people each year, by my count.
  • Reply 26 of 136
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Feature-wise, they're comparable. But where Nikon D50 feels like a well-built, solid camera, the Rebel seems cheap and plasticy. If you can, go to some local camera shop and compare them.

The Canon will feel cheap, like a Dell notebook, while the Nikon will feel sturdy, rugged and well-built, like a MBP. I'm neither a Canon or Nikon person exclusively, I use the best tool for the job. I think Nikon D50 is better right now.

If you had a lot of investemen in Canon glass, then the XT would be the better choice. If you don't, then I'd say go with Nikon.

They're equally reliable, so that shouldn't be a problem. The manufacturers do things differently though, and one might prefer one over the other because of the way the features are implimented.

One company has a feature on the camera body, where it's easy to get to, and the other may have it buried in a menu, and vice versa.
  • Reply 27 of 136
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Ok, lets clear up a misconception here.

It's not a 200 dollar rebate. It's 200 dollars of credit at the apple store. which has to be used within 6 months (September 30th, 2006)
  • Reply 28 of 136
    Now that I'm able to finally use Aperture. I'm wondering, are most people that get this ditching iPhoto? Because, the way I see it, that eliminates a lot of convenience - iPhoto's integration with Mail, Safari, Pages, Keynote, Finder, and probably a gazillion other Apple apps.
  • Reply 29 of 136
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

Now that I'm able to finally use Aperture. I'm wondering, are most people that get this ditching iPhoto? Because, the way I see it, that eliminates a lot of convenience - iPhoto's integration with Mail, Safari, Pages, Keynote, Finder, and probably a gazillion other Apple apps.

It is a bit sucky that it doesn't integrate with the other ilife apps.
  • Reply 30 of 136
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

It's not intended to be an iLife kind of app.
  • Reply 31 of 136
    wally007wally007 Posts: 121member
    wow , 30 posts and noone actually TRIED this.

So after updating , new 1.1 conversion is a bit nicer looking.

As far as speed improvements , i cant say. Its still slow on my 2.7Ghz 4gb ram , 6800 Ultra. Adjusting shadows on some images takes 5 FIVE seconds , loading single 4m raw image takes 3 or so seconds.

If this is best they can do ..... oh well i already paid , didnt i.
  • Reply 32 of 136
    Quote:

Originally posted by wally007

wow , 30 posts and noone actually TRIED this.

So after updating , new 1.1 conversion is a bit nicer looking.

As far as speed improvements , i cant say. Its still slow on my 2.7Ghz 4gb ram , 6800 Ultra. Adjusting shadows on some images takes 5 FIVE seconds , loading single 4m raw image takes 3 or so seconds.

If this is best they can do ..... oh well i already paid , didnt i.

Jeesh, people complaining about 3 to 5 seconds! I agree that this ruins the light table feel, but it really isn't so bad. Computers are getting faster, after all.

The 2.7GHz model will be considered slow when the new Intel tower comes out later this year.
  • Reply 33 of 136
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

thats because it is not a ilife app. It is a stand alone proffesional app. The ilife suite is designed to be a very integrated consumer focused product. This is designed to be a pro app targeted at specific functions)

While ilife integration would be good for some people it would probably add more comfusion to some customers without it.

stu
  • Reply 34 of 136
    Quote:

Originally posted by stustanley

thats because it is not a ilife app. It is a stand alone proffesional app. The ilife suite is designed to be a very integrated consumer focused product. This is designed to be a pro app targeted at specific functions)

While ilife integration would be good for some people it would probably add more comfusion to some customers without it.

stu

If OS X detects Aperture on your system, it gives your iLife apps an option for aperture in addition to iPhoto 8)

• Reply 35 of 136
    Quote:

If OS X detects Aperture on your system, it should give your iLife apps an option for aperture in addition to iPhoto 8)

Edit: I messed that up, quoted, when I thought I was editing
  • Reply 36 of 136
    Quote:

Edit: I messed that up, quoted, when I thought I was editing

Happens to all of us.
  • Reply 37 of 136
    wally007wally007 Posts: 121member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Jeesh, people complaining about 3 to 5 seconds! I agree that this ruins the light table feel, but it really isn't so bad. Computers are getting faster, after all.

The 2.7GHz model will be considered slow when the new Intel tower comes out later this year.

well 1st , they released this app now , didnt they ? 2.7ghz comp is 2nd fastest apple has and 6800Ultra is 2nd fastest apple has.

as far as 3-5 seconds , if you have 50 - 60 images in your smart folder and want to run through them to find the one you want , you dont want to wait 3 seconds for aperture just display the image in sharp state ( it does show you image in an instant but it takes 3-4 seconds for "Loading" text to dissapear ( after "loading" , image is sharp and in focus , at 1st image is very blurry )

as far as Highlights/Shadows , this feature is pretty much non-feature at this state. It's ust impossible to use.
  • Reply 38 of 136
    Quote:

Originally posted by wally007

well 1st , they released this app now , didnt they ? 2.7ghz comp is 2nd fastest apple has and 6800Ultra is 2nd fastest apple has.

as far as 3-5 seconds , if you have 50 - 60 images in your smart folder and want to run through them to find the one you want , you dont want to wait 3 seconds for aperture just display the image in sharp state ( it does show you image in an instant but it takes 3-4 seconds for "Loading" text to dissapear ( after "loading" , image is sharp and in focus , at 1st image is very blurry )

as far as Highlights/Shadows , this feature is pretty much non-feature at this state. It's ust impossible to use.

I'm sure that speed will come. They could have waited until the end of this year to release it. Then it would have seemed fast.

Highlights/shadows, unsharp mask, yes, they do need some serious work.
  • Reply 39 of 136
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

They're equally reliable, so that shouldn't be a problem. The manufacturers do things differently though, and one might prefer one over the other because of the way the features are implimented.

One company has a feature on the camera body, where it's easy to get to, and the other may have it buried in a menu, and vice versa.

Yeah, Canon's camera's are going for lightweight status but have a lousy feel. My 1st gen Rebel is a heavy camera that feels solid. The D30 makes my mouth water.

I am a Canon guy. I would think long and hard and look long term at your desired end goal (if possible). When you get knee deep in lenses and realize you may like the other side better, you are too far gone to turn around.

Besides, I have taken some of my best pictures with a 4.0 megapixel Canon (digital elph). I now have the 7.1 MP version and love it. SLR is still king but dang, the smaller camera's are good starters in my opinion. Afterall, we all know it is the camera that makes the photo and not the eye behind it...
  • Reply 40 of 136
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    BRING IT ON..!

Aperture on a 13.3" MacBook Pro w/Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT