Earnings conference call = product announcement?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A lot of people have been talking about software updates etc as a sign of impending product announcements, and there's been a lot of debate as to whether or not that's the case. Here's something else I was wondering about: Does Apple have a history of announcing/releasing new products around the time of their quarterly earnings conference calls? Seems to me that it makes sense--a cool product boosts the stock price (even though we're in a different quarter now), which in turn makes analysts in on the conference call even more enthusiastic about Apple's prospects (assuming the info released during the conference call paints a rosy picture).

And hey, the conference call is on a Wednesday, which would sync up pretty well with the tradition of Tuesday product announcements...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Conference call is for financial analysts there are no product announcements during the conference call. Sometimes there may be clues as to future plans/products.

This doesn't rule out a new product rolling out in the morning as the conference call is usually at close of the market on the 19th. However, the 19th is a wednesday and Apple usually releases products on Tuesdays.

So, look at the 18th for a product roll out. But, don't expect one.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Yeah, I didn't think they'd announce anything during the call itself. What I meant was a Tuesday announcement could boost the stock a bit and that spike could help make the analysts more bullish about Apple coming out of the conference call. Given the swirling rumors here and elsewhere, it seems very likely that an announcement is imminent...so I figured it's possible the call is a hint as to when the announcement mught come.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    This quarter is over. It's all dialed in. They are not worried about the stock price during the call because it usually goes down right after the call because some people have a tendency to sell off at the end of each quarters earnings, and move things into other long, or short term stocks at lower prices.

That does not mean they wont announce software on the saturday after though. Or the following Tuesday.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Or the following Tuesday.

Ah, Apple?

Always another Tuesday?!

;^p
  • Reply 5 of 5
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

Ah, Apple?

Always another Tuesday?!

;^p

We should thank and pay homage to STEVE and APPLE COMPUTERS for that, for without them the world would shurley end, so line up and buy another iPod today...