Firefox Universal Binary

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Any one have an idea of when we might see a final version of the Firefox 1.5 universal binary? I thought it was supposed to be ready in March?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    I thought it was April.... but no word. I've been using this universal binary version for a couple of months, zero problems, works with most extensions. http://wiki.mozilla.org/Mac:Intel

I hope its soon, I'd like to see this thing completed too!
  • Reply 2 of 8
    lgnomelgnome Posts: 81member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

I thought it was April.... but no word. I've been using this universal binary version for a couple of months, zero problems, works with most extensions. http://wiki.mozilla.org/Mac:Intel

I hope its soon, I'd like to see this thing completed too!

Yes, try this build. I have a 2 GHZ MacBook Pro with a 7200 RPM drive and this is the fastest web browsing I have ever done on a Mac...

Even more incredible, its as fast or faster than any browsing I have done on a Windows machine... And for the multi-platform experienced here, this is huge---almost unbelievable!

As well, Adblock, Greasemonkey, and Web Developer plugs all work.

Major kudos to all that have made this happen. All we need now is parity with browser based media playback.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    It seemed fast to me unitl I went to visit digg and it took about 2 minutes before it loaded! I went back and tried safari, it was better. So I tried the fox again, same problem! Most other sites were quick, but when I started encountering this problem last time I just got fed up and trashed the fox, I might do the same again. I'll give it some time and do a few more tests first!
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

It seemed fast to me unitl I went to visit digg and it took about 2 minutes before it loaded! I went back and tried safari, it was better. So I tried the fox again, same problem! Most other sites were quick, but when I started encountering this problem last time I just got fed up and trashed the fox, I might do the same again. I'll give it some time and do a few more tests first!

Try the alpha of Firefox 2.0. It's a universal binary, but not yet entirely stable. Still, it looks very, very promising.

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o....en-US.mac.dmg

(Warning: This is a direct link to the .dmg file)
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Camino is a UB, correct?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Firefox was released today as a UB.

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Firefox 1.5.0.2 just released is a universal binary.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    This is from yahoo news http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/2006...pcworld/125401

Quote:

Firefox Browser Update Supports Mac on Intel

Robert McMillan, IDG News Service Thu Apr 13, 6:00 PM ET

Internet Explorer users are not the only people patching their browsers this week. Mozilla today released a new version of its Firefox browser that adds native support for Apple Computer's Mac

OS X running on Intel's processors, and also contains a number of important security fixes for all Firefox users.

The new version of the browser, Firefox 1.5.0.2, is being labeled a "stability and security" release by the Mozilla team, meaning that it addresses critical security problems as well as a number of other bugs.

"We're identifying this as a critical release, and we're strongly recommending that everyone update as soon as possible," Mozilla said in an e-mail statement.

Earlier Versions Require Manual Update

Software updates should be delivered automatically to users of the Firefox 1.5 product over the next few days, but those using earlier versions of the browser will need to manually update their software by visiting Mozilla.com.

With the improved Mac OS support, Firefox now will be able to take advantage of performance enhancements in the chipsets used by Apple's new Intel-based Macs, which were introduced earlier this year.

This should speed up Web browsing on these new systems, which had previously relied on Apple's Rosetta translation technology to run Firefox.

Mozilla's update comes two days after Microsoft released a major security update to Internet Explorer. That set of patches addressed 10 security-related flaws in the browser, including an unpatched bug that hackers had been exploiting for several weeks.

Mozilla did not immediately provide details on the security problems addressed by the update, but those are expected to soon be added to the project's security vulnerabilities page.

I just finished updating Firefox!!! 8)

(for my girlfriend's Dell if anyone's wondering)

But I really can't wait to see the FF 2.0 it's going to be awesome it's going to hand IE7 back to Billy on a silver platter