How does one merge m4a files?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I've been ripping some audiobooks in iTunes on my new Powerbook and I'd like to get them merged into one file per disc.

How?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    r3dx0rr3dx0r Posts: 201member
    either rip the cds again and use the 'join cd tracks' option from the advanced menu in itunes or use the terminal: cat * > combinedtrack.mp3
  • Reply 2 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Why would you do that? If you burn an mp3 cd, the books will show up as separate tracks so you can jump between them. Otherwise you'd have to fast forward through the whole lot.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by r3dx0r

either rip the cds again and use the 'join cd tracks' option from the advanced menu in itunes or use the terminal: cat * > combinedtrack.mp3

I know nothing of this unix madness. I just got a Powerbook and I'm still trying to figure out how to do nice pretty clicky things still.

I'm open to learning, though, can you point me to a place to help me figure out what you just said?

Or would you like to provide a more through explanation yourself?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quicktime Pro will merge them also. (without re-ripping)
  • Reply 5 of 9
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    I'd just use QT Pro. It's worth the $25 or whatever it is.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by r3dx0r

use the terminal: cat * > combinedtrack.mp3

I doubt that would work, and if it does, I'm almost positive it's gonna create a non-standards-compliant file.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    I have done this with a U2 concert dvd. I ripped all the audio from the dvd and merged the songs together with QT Pro. Basically open them all up and copy and paste tracks two through whatever to the first track and save as.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    You might try using a program called audion 3. Its free and im pretty sure you can just drag the files into the editor and then save your project as a single file.

I dunno though i have never tried it.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I have not tried this, but shouldn't garageband be perfectly capable of doing this??