Downgrading iTunes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm using iTunes 6.0.4, and I greatly dislike all the limits Apple keeps imposing. Does anyone know how to downgrade iTunes to an older version?

I still have the file I downloaded for 4.7, but it refuses to install at the moment.

EDIT: OK, I succeeded in downgrading iTunes, but now it won't read my music library. Anyone know of a way to convert it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    What do you mean by limits Apple keeps imposing???
  • Reply 2 of 8
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I don't know if there is a way to down-convert a library, so I guess you will have to rebuild it. Takes a little time, but I couldn't find any utilities out there to speed up the process.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Alright, I succeeded in downgrading and rebuilding the library.

But I've found I can't transfer the money from my music store account into a new one. (I initially thought I could do it by sending myself gift certificates, but I found that they don't let you do that.)

So thanks for your help, but I've found that I can't continue.

Icfireball, I was referring to two things: the 5-user-a-day share limit, and the fact that, since 6.0, I can't play my songs bought from iTunes on my Linux computer without quality loss. (I suppose I'll go back to burning and ripping CDs)
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by FreakyT

Alright, I succeeded in downgrading and rebuilding the library.

But I've found I can't transfer the money from my music store account into a new one. (I initially thought I could do it by sending myself gift certificates, but I found that they don't let you do that.)

So thanks for your help, but I've found that I can't continue.

Icfireball, I was referring to two things: the 5-user-a-day share limit, and the fact that, since 6.0, I can't play my songs bought from iTunes on my Linux computer without quality loss. (I suppose I'll go back to burning and ripping CDs)

Hmm...that is stupid about the 5-user-a-day share limit. You can't even copy songs anyways. Apple is just grasping and straws.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Out of curiosity, how did you manage that downgrade?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    freakytfreakyt Posts: 11member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Out of curiosity, how did you manage that downgrade?

It was much easier than I expected, actually. First, stop the iTunesHelper process. (Not sure if this is necessary, but it couldn't hurt.) Then, drag iTunes to the trash. Then, search for "iTunes" with spotlight to find the iTunes installer receipt packages, and drag them to the trash, too. Then, install the old version of iTunes. Next, go to your iTunes music folder, and back up the "iTunes Music Library" files (both the XML one and the other one) (You might need to edit the version info in the XML file, to make it say 4.7) Then, delete both originals. Finally, start iTunes, select import from the File menu, and click your XML file that you backed up earlier. After a while, your library will reappear, with ratings and playlists intact. (Though playcounts disappear)

Hope that helps!
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Wow. I though the upgrade to the latest iTunes modified the library so it couldn't be backward compatible.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Wow. I though the upgrade to the latest iTunes modified the library so it couldn't be backward compatible.

Nope. It a always saves a backup from a previous version called "Previous iTunes Libraries". But then again, if your library changes signifficantly between versions that can be very bad.