Photos on iPod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have a whole lot of photos. Putting them on the iPod is not crucial, but would be cool.

1) Let's say I have 5 GB of photos. Will iTunes create a new directory, copying (and wasting) 5 additional GB on my hard drive?

2) Does anyone have experience with the AV cable? Is it worth it for movies and photos?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chocolatedude

I have a whole lot of photos. Putting them on the iPod is not crucial, but would be cool.

1) Let's say I have 5 GB of photos. Will iTunes create a new directory, copying (and wasting) 5 additional GB on my hard drive?

2) Does anyone have experience with the AV cable? Is it worth it for movies and photos?

Thanks.

Can't answer your second part, but I can give you details on the first.

If you have 5Gb of photos, you have a couple of options for copying them to your iPod.

i) You can have iTunes just create a small screen sized (320x240 or whatever) file and copy that to your iPod, (won't take up much room on the iPod) or;

ii) You can do the above, plus also copy the full size photo over to your iPod's hard disk. I do the latter - means I have a handy backup of my photos. Worth doing if you have spare space on your iPod.

As far as I am aware, neither option creates any extra files on your computer's hard disk however.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Actually, I've just done a bit of hunting around, and iPhoto seems to create an iPod Photo Cache folder, which on my system is 1.27Gb (I have 2.9Gb of photos according to iPhoto). I believe this cache folder contains the thumbnails created.

Edit - just to confirm - I've just check, and the size of that iPod Photo Cache folder is exactly the same as the folder of thumbnails on my iPod. Thus, when iTunes creates a thumbnail and copies it across, it keeps a copy on your hard disk as well. It won't be a full 5Gb, but you can expect to have about 2Gb in your case I would say if you enable photo-syncing.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

Actually, I've just done a bit of hunting around, and iPhoto seems to create and iPod Photo Cache folder, which on my system is 1.27Gb (I have 2.9Gb of photos according to iPhoto). I believe this cache folder contains the thumbnails created.

Thanks.

Apple's website seemed to suggest it creates additional files.

Quote:

How much hard drive space do I need to sync my photos?

You need to have about as much free space on your hard drive as the size of your collection of photos. iTunes constructs a photo database on your hard drive in order to make photo syncing fast when you add new photos in the future.

-- http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300265

That's not very good, I think. Side note: I have a PC, so I would not be using any other programs besides a simple folder selection.

Where do you think it would put these additional files? In the iTunes music folder?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by chocolatedude

Thanks.

Apple's website seemed to suggest it creates additional files.

Apple seem to suggest in that article that you will need a spare 5Gb if you have a 5Gb photo album, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. By my maths, the cache will take up about 1Gb for every 1200 photos (very roughly), so it's not quite as bad as the apple doc makes out.

Quote:

That's not very good, I think. Side note: I have a PC, so I would not be using any other programs besides a simple folder selection.

Where do you think it would put these additional files? In the iTunes music folder? [/B]

Couldn't say as I'm a mac user with iPhoto, but I'd guess it would be in your Pictures folder? I think you'd need a non-mac user to answer this.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Well, it puts them in My Pictures in a folder called iPod Photo Cache or something similar. I would love it if I could just have it be in my original folder, or my external hard drive. Does anyone know how to switch the location of the iTunes photos folder (on Windows)?