Apple's Jobs tweaks his $9M glass cube

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Computer chief executive Steve Jobs is reported to have been unhappy with some of the materials used to construct his $9 million glass cube outside the future home of one of the company's flagship retail stores in Midtown Manhattan.

As a result, changes are already being made to the structure, which remains shrouded by large black panels as it awaits a formal unveiling alongside the 20,000-square-foot location later this spring.

When workers began removing the black plywood panels from the cube last week, it looked as if construction was nearly complete. However, a report on ifoAppleStore explains the workers were instead swapping out sophisticated titanium hardware -- positioned between the glass panels -- because Jobs complained they were too conspicuous and interrupted the esthetic of the cube.

It's been reported that Jobs personally designed and paid for the 32-foot-by-32-foot hollow glass structure, which will mark the top floor entrance to the underground retail store at 767 Fifth Avenue between 58th and 59th streets. In fact, reports have also indicated that leasing arrangements for the store were finalized only after landlord Harry Macklowe promised the Apple CEO he could take his big $9 million cube with him at the end of the 20-year lease.

People who have interviewed for positions at the upcoming location say Apple is working to open the store and glass cube to the public by the end of May. The store may be unique in that -- in the city that never sleeps -- it could be the first retail location from Apple to operate 24-hours a day. Apple, however, has thus far declined to comment on the rumors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    From the Screaming Halibut: "s' crazy!"
  • Reply 2 of 43
    Hmmm ... Borg like
  • Reply 3 of 43
    ua2006ua2006 Posts: 84member
    You can tell there's no Mac related news when Appleinsider posts stories like this one.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Timeline

Hmmm ... Borg like

Quote:

We are the Borg. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.

Long live iEverything.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    godriflegodrifle Posts: 267member
    Clear Macs on the horizon?
  • Reply 6 of 43
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

the workers were instead swapping out sophisticated titanium hardware -- positioned between the glass panels -- because Jobs complained they were too conspicuous and interrupted the esthetic of the cube.

"The Steve" is a bit of a nutjob sometimes. But don't we love him because of it? I mean, seriously, this is the kind of thing that makes Apple so cool.

I, for one, would love to see some other CEOs put this level of thought into some of the products/services/facilities they offer.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    sabonsabon Posts: 134member
    "I, for one, would love to see some other CEOs put this level of thought into some of the products/services/facilities they offer."

I second that.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    "When workers began removing the black plywood panels from the cube last week, it looked as if construction was nearly complete. However, a report on ifoAppleStore explains the workers were instead swapping out sophisticated titanium hardware -- positioned between the glass panels -- because Jobs complained they were too conspicuous and interrupted the esthetic of the cube.

In fact, reports have also indicated that leasing arrangements for the store were finalized only after landlord Harry Macklowe promised the Apple CEO he could take big $9 million cube with him at the end of the 20-year lease."

This guy is going to be wearing tissue boxes on his feet pretty soon. You just know it.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I third that!! And also believe that his never settling for second best type personality is the reason that apple's products are of such quailty.

I am curious why this cube costs so much! $9M, that's very steep. I'd choose a different builder next time.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

I third that!! And also believe that his never settling for second best type personality is the reason that apple's products are of such quailty.

Unless he spends all his time staring at a giant glass cube instead.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

I am curious why this cube costs so much! $9M, that's very steep. I'd choose a different builder next time.

I'm not sure. How much do 32' glass cubes usually run?
  • Reply 12 of 43
    It's really just a bunch of glass panes assembled together in the shape of a cube.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    I read in the "Steve Jobs: iCon" book that in the 90's Steve demanded that the NeXT Computer factory be repainted several times as it "Wasn't the right shade of black". He also spent ridiculous amounts of money on a central glass staircase. However the factory has now become somewhat of an icon in the Valley i believe.

He sure is a perfectionist, i admire those qualities in him. I'm quite a perfectionist myself, and i didn't know whether it was a bad or good thing. On the whole, i think it just stretches yourself to create something better.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I think Steve Jobs has a fun job.

I would like to design giant cubes on the side of MY job!
  • Reply 15 of 43
    So some people are commenting on Steve's sanity, and others seem to see it as a piece of art. However I am left with the question of what symbolism it might contain. Certainly Steve has been fascinated with cubes for quite awhile. But what would a cube might represent to Steve? I have some ideas, but would like to see what others see first.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by the_snitch

I read in the "Steve Jobs: iCon" book that in the 90's Steve demanded that the NeXT Computer factory be repainted several times as it "Wasn't the right shade of black". He also spent ridiculous amounts of money on a central glass staircase. However the factory has now become somewhat of an icon in the Valley i believe.

He sure is a perfectionist, i admire those qualities in him. I'm quite a perfectionist myself, and i didn't know whether it was a bad or good thing. On the whole, i think it just stretches yourself to create something better.

It often seems that a lot of the people who work in the computing industry are a little OCD. I have a feeling that Steve, as much as he's a genius, is probably a bit OCD as well.

Either way, it looking amazing. As did the G4 Cube for that matter. Gotta love the Apple design innovations
  • Reply 17 of 43
    I think Steve's still unhappy that the Cube didn't turn out to be a big seller. This is his way of bringing the Cube back.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

It's really just a bunch of glass panes assembled together in the shape of a cube.

I doubt it. Have you ever seen large glass structures? You can't just stack panes on edge and expect it to have anything resembling structural integrity, especially in strong city winds. There's a lot more engineering there than you think, especially if Steve demands the hardware be inconspicuous.

<obscure Cube joke> But, actually, those aren't cracks. They're mold lines. Honestly. </obscure Cube joke>
  • Reply 19 of 43
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the_snitch

in the 90's Steve demanded that the NeXT Computer factory be repainted several times as it "Wasn't the right shade of black".

I heard it was the robots and the shade of gray. Coule have been both though.

• Reply 20 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

I heard it was the robots and the shade of gray. Coule have been both though.

I actually meant shade of grey aswell. Because, of course, there is only one shade of black, and anything else is grey.

PS - Just recieved in my email an invitation to WWDC to "See Leopard before it leaps into action."

Anyone else in the ADC and thinking of going?