Problem with PDFs generated by Pages

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
This is a very weird problem. The PDFs I generate with Pages v1 all have this weird display issue where the text on every other page is darker than normal. Does anyone else have this issue?

Edit: I should have made myself more clear. The display problem only appears when viewing the PDF on Windows. I am using the most current version of Acrobat. The PDFs I create all look fine on OS X.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    I just tried it and see that too. Its not every other page, but some random order for me.

http://download.pocketinformant.com/6/Reference.pdf
  • Reply 2 of 16
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    my guess, form looking at your pdf, is that in pages with color (images or text) the PDF also uses color to create black. This will create a "richer" black than normal black created by a normal Black (greyscale) color.

In professional print this is a known problem. If you want truely black color, you should use not just black ink but a mix of black ink and colored inks. For instance 100% black, 20% cyan, 40% yellow and 60% magenta to achieve a truely dark black color.

Since PDF is a format that supports professional print quality this might be the answer. my 2 cents...
  • Reply 3 of 16
    You can set these things for a PDF?

How come other apps don't show this behavior.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Michael_Moriarty

How come other apps don't show this behavior.

Um-m-m, they do.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    I was referring to the darker text on some pages.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

I was referring to the darker text on some pages.

What's darker than black? On my system, pages with color images do not have "darker" text, they have dark-tinted white space. However, these pages print just fine with no tint. As I said, this is not exclusive to Pages.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    For the record, I have no idea what any of you are referring to. I downloaded that _2.4MB_ file linked above, and see no difference from page to page. Perhaps 2 screenshots, composited into a _small_ graphic file of text close-ups is in order? Command-Shift-3 creates screenshots.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    My issue with some pages having darker (bold looking) text only appears in Acrobat (latest version) on XP. My PDFs look fine on OS X.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

My issue with some pages having darker (bold looking) text only appears in Acrobat (latest version) on XP. My PDFs look fine on OS X.

So the appearance of your PDF in Win XP is what you've been carrying on about? The simpliest explanation that you have a font on your Mac which is not available on your Windows machine. My suggestion is to deselect Advanced > Use Local Fonts. This will force Acrobat to use the PDF's embedded fonts.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

So the appearance of your PDF in Win XP is what you've been carrying on about? The simpliest explanation that you have a font on your Mac which is not available on your Windows machine. My suggestion is to deselect Advanced > Use Local Fonts. This will force Acrobat to use the PDF's embedded fonts.

I haven't been carrying on about anything. I don't appreciate that use of words.

I had a problem and thought someone here could help me. Anyway, I made this explicitly clear in my first post that my issue was with viewing my OS X generated PDFs on XP.

Anyway, I will try what you said. I am using Verdana which is a pretty standard font that comes on both OS X and XP.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Michael_Moriarty,

Were you able to fix your PDF problem? As New mentioned for some reason if you take a look at your PDF file in Acrobat and use the Separation Preview you will see that your Black type is built out of CMYK, a build of all colors. It should be built out of just Black. Are you using "Registration" as a color? This shouldn't be a problem unless you are sending it to a printer. If you are planning on sending this to be printed by a printer then this is something I would fix.

Do you own Acrobat the full version with Distiller? I run into all kinds of crazy PDF issues that come from people who generate their PDF files directly from InDesign or Quark Xpress (and others). Most of the time the problems are fixed simply by printing a Postscript file and then Distilling it in Distiller. Distiller seems to do a much better job of generating cleaner PDF files than any application that simply "exports as PDF". Also Distiller will give you more options and control over how your PDF is made.

Good luck
  • Reply 12 of 16
    I only own a copy of Acrobat 5 and Acrobat Reader 7 on my PC.

Also, no my problem hasn't been fixed. I have been trying out various tests and my results still remain the same...

Only PDF's generated from Pages have the darker text (any color) issue on random pages. Other applications such as TextEdit don't experience this problem.

As for the "Are you using "Registration" as a color?", I don't know, how do I check this?
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Michael_Moriarty,

The Registration issue is only a concern if you plan on have it printed. You can tell if you have CMYK type you can tell by using Acrobat and using the "Output Preview" feature which pulls up what looks like the Channels from Photoshop. You simply uncheck the Black color and if you can still see type then you know you have CMKY type. Once again if you are planning on people just viewing it on their computers don't worry about the Registration issue.

I think if you print a Postscript file out of Pages and then Distill it using the Full version of Acrobat you will get better results. You can print Postscript files from any application in OS X much like you can make a PDF from any application in OS X.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Well, it appears that this PDF issue is only with Pages so I may just move over to Word until they fix it.

If you're using just straight non-styled text, it isn't an issue. Weird.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    I have a similar problem with the PDF's that Pages generates. Any pictures, and really the entire document, has a red tint to it. Very irritating & embarrassing showing that to colleagues at work.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Well some more testing reveals some awkward results. So far PDF's I am generating from cocoa apps have the random bold text issue. PDFs created from Word don't seem to be affected. Weird.