Apple's flagship MacBook Pro to arrive at NAB

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer at the National Association of Broadcasters conference next week will unveil its most poweful Intel notebook yet, a 17-inch MacBook Pro strung with a few bells and whistles, AppleInsider has learned.

The flagship Apple notebook is expected to debut at speeds faster than the company's 2.0GHz 15-inch MacBook Pro and pack additional storage capacity, well-placed sources have said.

The over-sized portable, which will be built around a stellar 17-inch TFT widescreen display and look very similar to its 15-inch counterpart, will round out Apple's professional line MacBook Pro notebooks, those sources have said.

In the past, Apple has also offered its professional customers a smaller notebook offering in the form of the 12-inch PowerBook G4. However, sources close to the company have been unable to turn up any evidence that Apple will carry the petite notebook design over to its Intel MacBook Pro product line.

Instead, the Cupertino, Calif.-based Mac maker is expected to supplement its 12-inch model with a pair of "MacBook" consumer notebooks sporting a 13-inch widescreen display and Intel Core Duo processors. Their release, however, is now rumored to have been pushed back to "next month."

Sources have said that Apple will use its extremely large presence at the NAB show to highlight the performance of its recently released Final Cut Studio 5.1 running natively on its new Intel hardware.

Still, there are rumors that the company may also make several new announcements surrounding its Pro application software packages. One such rumor suggests attendees may be privy to the first demonstrations of Final Cut Studio 6.0, which will include updates to popular Pro apps such as Final Cut Pro, Soundtrack, Motion and DVD Studio Pro.

A new version of DVD Studio Pro (5.0) is rumored to include support for burning both Blu-ray and HD-DVD discs, new High-definition DVD formats, the latter of which began making its way to market on Tuesday. Meanwhile, an update to Soundtrack Pro is expected to package support for editing additional high-end audio formats, such as 5.1 channel surround sound.

Fewer details have emerged on Apple's plans for Final Cut Pro 6.0 and Motion 3.0, however the consensus amongst industry sources is that Final Cut will expand to support several new high-definition video formats.

The National Association of Broadcasters conference is set to kick-off at the Las Vegas Convention Center on Saturday the 22nd and run through thursday the 27th. The Exhibition hall will not open until Monday the 24th.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 82
    ceddcedd Posts: 13member
    "next month" for the MacBook? 1 / 2 May is OK - 30 / 31 May would be annoying in the extreme...
  • Reply 2 of 82
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    iRiKLiAN

Fromt posted 04-19-2006 07:13 AM \t

Apple on the 28th of this month is set to announce a new product that has been eagerly anticipated. Not much is known on what it may be, but what is known is that it will not be related to the iPod family in anyway.

Heres hopin we see some new Macbooks....

Perhaps I stand corrected?

8)
  • Reply 3 of 82
    Is this all we're going to see? How about some new iPods to play that broadcasted video?
  • Reply 4 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cedd

"next month" for the MacBook? 1 / 2 May is OK - 30 / 31 May would be annoying in the extreme...

And TS says the same anyway..
  • Reply 5 of 82
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

iRiKLiAN

Fromt posted 04-19-2006 07:13 AM \t

Apple on the 28th of this month is set to announce a new product that has been eagerly anticipated. Not much is known on what it may be, but what is known is that it will not be related to the iPod family in anyway.

Heres hopin we see some new Macbooks....

Perhaps I stand corrected?

8)

Wouldn't beat yourself up over it - if there is an annoucement, NAB is 24-27th, so I doubt it'll be on t he 28th still.
  • Reply 6 of 82
    How about a 15" MacBook Pro that actually works? Without heat issues or the whining? Or defective cases? Doubt I could afford a 17" but I'll be interested anyway.
  • Reply 7 of 82
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    It would be odd and perhaps ill-timed for Apple to announce a 17" MacBook Pro just weeks prior to the Intel processor price cuts/new models. I would imagine the 17" MacBook Pro would come in at $2,499 - the current price for a 17" PowerBook G4. The issue with that is there's now a 15" MacBook Pro in that price slot. The 15" MacBook Pro's would have to get cheaper if the 17" MacBook Pro was to arrive at today's $2,499 price point. Unless they slap in a 2.33Ghz Core Duo, shipping at the end of May with pre-orders starting at NAB, and sell it for closer to $3k.
  • Reply 8 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by jocknerd

How about a 15" MacBook Pro that actually works? Without heat issues or the whining? Or defective cases? Doubt I could afford a 17" but I'll be interested anyway.

No major heat issues for me (no more than is normal)

no whine in mine. (there's a hard drive sound sometimes, but that's normal, my friend's Dell does the same thing) So far the quietest machine I've ever had.

And what defective case are you talking about? Have you called Apple about any of this?

Edit: This is also off topic
  • Reply 9 of 82
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Apple's been fixing the MacBooks that are experiencing these problems. How about bitching about things that are actually a problem?

On topic, I'm interested to see what they mean by extra storage options. I remember seeing a pic of the 17" disassembled and it looked like there was room for an additional drive inside. With the Intel boards looking a bit smaller than the G4 boards they're replacing there could be even more space available. Imagine a 17" machine with dual drives set up in a RAID. This wouldn't be the most battery friendly option (HA!) but the speed/storage possibilities are pretty neat anyhow.
  • Reply 10 of 82
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I said a while ago we would not see a 12"/13.3 MacBook Pro, and was practically laughed at, well guess who will have the last laugh! Pro 15-17" Non-Pro 13" Thank you!
  • Reply 11 of 82
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

Is this all we're going to see? How about some new iPods to play that broadcasted video?

Apple products announced at NAB and similar industry events generally center around pro products, such as Final Cut, Logic Pro, the G5 Quads, Aperture and so on, and consumer products are announced at more consumer shows. iPod is a consumer product. An exception is that the MacBook Pro was annouced at a MacWorld, where usually only consumer products are announced.
  • Reply 12 of 82
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

I said a while ago we would not see a 12"/13.3 MacBook Pro, and was practically laughed at, well guess who will have the last laugh! Pro 15-17" Non-Pro 13" Thank you!

I am pretty upset about that, but this is for another thread.

Anyway, I would like to see what they do with the extra space inside the 17"

Noah

EDIT: Minor spelling errors.
  • Reply 13 of 82
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

There is something wrong with your computer clock. We're not in February anymore. It's April. :P
  • Reply 14 of 82
    Might we be seeing the beginning of Flash Memory with the 17"? Seems power is always the number one issue. Not having to spin a disk has to help. No real inside info here, but I am curious.

Proud owner of a 15" 2.16 GHz MacBook Pro
  • Reply 15 of 82
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

No major heat issues for me (no more than is normal)

no whine in mine. (there's a hard drive sound sometimes, but that's normal, my friend's Dell does the same thing) So far the quietest machine I've ever had.

And what defective case are you talking about? Have you called Apple about any of this?

Edit: This is also off topic

Well, if it didn't happen with yours, everyone else's must be fine, too.

The problems with the MacBook Pros are well-documented onMacintouch, and the Apple boards.
  • Reply 16 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

I said a while ago we would not see a 12"/13.3 MacBook Pro, and was practically laughed at...

That's not what we were laughing at.
  • Reply 17 of 82
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    [insert OT disclaimer]

See Raf's story for how he repaired his MBP.
  • Reply 18 of 82
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

Well, if it didn't happen with yours, everyone else's must be fine, too.

The problems with the MacBook Pros are well-documented onMacintouch, and the Apple boards.

I know they're documented. The point is that these problems have been for the most part resolved by apple in the current MBPs (mine) and are fixing the earlier ones, if you just call them! Therefore, it's pointless to complain about something that Apple has already fixed!

Has there been documented problems with the W86 models?
  • Reply 19 of 82
    Quote:

Has there been documented problems with the W86 models?

Yes. Why don't you take the time to check before you spout off?
  • Reply 20 of 82
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bancho

Apple's been fixing the MacBooks that are experiencing these problems. How about bitching about things that are actually a problem?

Apple releasing a defective product isn't a problem?

Quote:

Originally posted by Bancho

On topic, I'm interested to see what they mean by extra storage options. I remember seeing a pic of the 17" disassembled and it looked like there was room for an additional drive inside. With the Intel boards looking a bit smaller than the G4 boards they're replacing there could be even more space available. Imagine a 17" machine with dual drives set up in a RAID. This wouldn't be the most battery friendly option (HA!) but the speed/storage possibilities are pretty neat anyhow.

I was actually thinking the same thing. What'd be better is if Apple gave the option of using RAID or not, since idle drives don't drain power.

It's also possible that Apple's planning on using "Intel's" new solid-state hard drives, which are faster and use far less power than conventional platters and are meant to be put in laptops. We shall see...