Powerbooks = awesome

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    I have to say the powerbook 800Mhz is really great! I dont think I have ever enjoyed a computer as much as this one! The fact is, there is nothing bad about this computer! its just perfect!
  • Reply 22 of 67
    I would love a powerbook g4 but i just cant afford one right now i spose i could find some one that would want to trade desktop for laptop i would much rather have a laptop for college anyways but crave a g4 over the iBook
  • Reply 23 of 67
    cmn083cmn083 Posts: 35member
    where are you guys getting these prices for a 800 ti ---- 2500 bucks , how the hell can I get one of those - how much for a 667 -??
  • Reply 24 of 67
    [quote]Originally posted by jacinto46:

<strong>Are the lines caused by the keyboard really permanent? Can't they be wiped away with a damp washcloth? (I have a Ti/800 in the mail and would like to know this...thx).</strong><hr></blockquote>

I got out a lens cloth last night and wiped them away - but if you aren't careful those impermanent lines will become permanent before you know it. Be careful when wiping down your LCD - that would suck to do real damage!

I have cut a piece of very thin cloth which I put over the keyboard before I close it - but if you get it too close to the hinges it still stresses them (the cloth is as thin as cloth gets).

Really with this issue having been around since the first Powerbooks I am amazed they haven't addressed it...

[ 07-24-2002: Message edited by: The Pie Man ]</p>
  • Reply 25 of 67
    Please help me guys where can I get a dvi 800 ti for 2500 bucks ........ anyone ?? How much for a 667 ..??
  • Reply 26 of 67
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    [quote]Please help me guys where can I get a dvi 800 ti for 2500 bucks ........ anyone ?? How much for a 667 ..??<hr></blockquote>

You obviously haven't been to the Genius Bar lately where I've been saying a bunch about ADC Student. Here's the <a href="http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ADC?qprm=38839"; target="_blank">U.S. store</a> and here's the links to the stores for <a href="http://developer.apple.com/membership/hardware.html"; target="_blank">other countries</a>

Only for <a href="http://developer.apple.com/students/"; target="_blank">students</a>, unfortunately.

[ 07-24-2002: Message edited by: pyr3 ]</p>
  • Reply 27 of 67
    [quote]Please help me guys where can I get a dvi 800 ti for 2500 bucks <hr></blockquote>

Look at ebay. New, factory sealed, not refurbished......

What's going on here? Where are these coming from?
  • Reply 28 of 67
    how much does being a student cost?
  • Reply 29 of 67
    readthereadme :

They are coming from magic potions. And since magic potions do not exist, neither do these PowerBooks, if you catch my drift.
  • Reply 30 of 67
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    My school store (UCLA) has had the 667 DVI for $1899 and the 800 for $2499 for about a month now.
  • Reply 31 of 67
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    I'm going into college, but I still kinda doubt I can get those prices. Education prices when I've checked have been barely anything off the regular prices.
  • Reply 32 of 67
    [quote]Originally posted by pyr3:

<strong>readthereadme :

They are coming from magic potions. And since magic potions do not exist, neither do these PowerBooks, if you catch my drift.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, yeah, that's one possibility. But, it would certainly have to be a pretty sophisticated scam if these did not exist. If you follow those sales records all the way through the forums, you'll see that the bidders are receiving those powerbooks at really low costs (like, below $2K for a 667, and 2500 or less for an 800). Some of the reserves for 800's are 2700. And, there seem to be several different sellers running these sales, and all have very high ebay ratings.

So, my question remains: What's the story with this flood of low-priced machines?
  • Reply 33 of 67
    [quote]Originally posted by Bodhi:

<strong>My school store (UCLA) has had the 667 DVI for $1899 and the 800 for $2499 for about a month now.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Maybe NEXT year. Today, those prices are $2349, and $3007.
  • Reply 34 of 67
    It seems that if one is in the market for a new PowerBook, now is the perfect time to buy. Even though it lacks built-in bluetooth, 1GHZ processors, DDR, faster firewire, or a SuperDrive, current buzz is to BUY NOW.

Now, I am a college student in the market for one. I don't think I can afford to wait an entire semester for a major update at MWSF 2003, or half a semester for a minor update. Therefore, I think I will buy now. The least expensive model available to me is the AppleStore's education discount model at $2,349, or $150 discounted from the normal price. That is not bad, but it is still nothing to revel.

My Questions are:
    • If I wait until August 24th, Jaguar's shipping date, will the new OS X 10.2 come with my PowerBook? I realize it's only a matter of $20, but that is still an important amount to a cash-deficient college student.

• The addition of an AppleCare package adds $332 to the price, bringing the total cost of purchasing a PowerBook with an AppleCare package to nearly $2700. Quite simply, is AppleCare worth it? (Note: I plan to keep my computer for 3 years, which is also the duration of the additional AppleCare warrantee)

[ 07-24-2002: Message edited by: ShawnPatrickJoyce ]</p>
  • Reply 35 of 67
    [quote]Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce:

<strong>It seems that if one is in the market for a new PowerBook, now is the perfect time to buy. Even though it lacks built-in bluetooth, 1GHZ processors, DDR, faster firewire, or a SuperDrive, current buzz is to BUY NOW.

Now, I am a college student in the market for one. I don't think I can afford to wait an entire semester for a major update at MWSF 2003, or half a semester for a minor update. Therefore, I think I will buy now. The least expensive model available to me is the AppleStore's education discount model at $2,349, or $150 discounted from the normal price. That is not bad, but it is still nothing to revel.

My Questions are:
    • If I wait until August 24th, Jaguar's shipping date, will the new OS X 10.2 come with my PowerBook? I realize it's only a matter of $20, but that is still an important amount to a cash-deficient college student.

• The addition of an AppleCare package adds $332 to the price, bringing the total cost of purchasing a PowerBook with an AppleCare package to nearly $2700. Quite simply, is AppleCare worth it? (Note: I plan to keep my computer for 3 years, which is also the duration of the additional AppleCare warrantee)

[ 07-24-2002: Message edited by: ShawnPatrickJoyce ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

As I have been preaching to students in the Genuis Bar, use the ADC Student plan. You can get about $500 off on the PowerBook plus free OS updates on CD (for a year) for $100. <a href="http://developer.apple.com/students/"; target="_blank">http://developer.apple.com/students/</a>; I don't know if Apple Care is worth it, but I think that you can add Apple Care if you want to later on.

And <a href="http://developer.apple.com/membership/hardware.html"; target="_blank">here</a> is the hardware purchase plan. The discount is a one-time deal. ButI heard that digital lifestyle devices like the iPod don't count towards this so you can get as many discounts as you want on those I believe, but read the fine print first.
  • Reply 36 of 67
    vikingviking Posts: 127member
    Isn't funny how we all want faster processors, yet most people barely scratch the surface of the power of a 667mhz or 800mhz processor. The internet is a major reason why people buy computers and so is word processing. My old Quadra 605 could do what most people do now on a $3000 computer. I know a graphic designer who still uses an early beige G3 and it does just fine.

For me, I want a computer that I don't have to wait to start up. Now that would save a lot more time in my life than a few seconds here and there in application speed.

I have no doubt that my 667mhz powerbook will be just fine for years to come.
  • Reply 37 of 67
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    [quote]Originally posted by readthereadme:

<strong>

Maybe NEXT year. Today, those prices are $2349, and $3007.</strong><hr></blockquote>

When you go to the Apple Store online for education yeah. But when you WALK INTO the UCLA Apple Store they are at this price. Please do not argue with me on what I paid for my Powerbook. It's really pointless and I have no reason to lie to you.
  • Reply 38 of 67
    Edited: Removed unethical jumps to conclusions.

[ 07-25-2002: Message edited by: ShawnPatrickJoyce ]</p>
  • Reply 39 of 67
    I don't understand ADC at all. From what I read, the systems come with no warrantee at all and ship within 4-6 weeks?
  • Reply 40 of 67
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce:

<strong> :eek: pyr3, you are both a genius and a pirate, and I love you for both (figuratively speaking, of course). You just saved me $250 in buying a PowerBook including the cost of an ADC membership.

I have several questions:
    • Is the discount a one-time deal per account?

• Can one purchase multiple ADC accounts representing members of one's family (same mailing address)?

• If so, does the discount apply to those additional ADC accounts within a family?

Thank you!

[ 07-25-2002: Message edited by: ShawnPatrickJoyce ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

please don't abuse the student ADC program. It took alot to get the privelages that a student developer gets now and if its abused Apple can easily take them away. the hardware discount is a nice gift for student developers. it's not to be abused by someone who creates accounts for their whole family.

anyways, the registration process isn't that easy I believe. they do require college ID, you must be over 18, you must be in a computer major I believe, etc.

which kind of pisses me off because I'm 17 and can't get that. but they'll let me pay 500 to be a select member.

Talked to a rep a while ago and he agreed it was a bit screwed up but that they fear too many people abusing it.... ahem.