If Apple asked "you" what apps you would like that are not available on the Mac...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 123
    1., 2., and 3. 3ds max. I'm thinking about getting a new iMac purely for Boot Camp, but I don't want to be slowed down in Photoshop, Illustrator, and After Effects (at least FCS is universal).
  • Reply 22 of 123
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

2. An easy Firewire based syncing app that will let me keep my iMac and PB in sync.

It is unbelievable to me that fifteen years after the first Powerbook, a full decade into the email revolution and on the verge of the fifth revision to OS X, there is still no way to reliably synchronize one's email between a Power Mac and a PowerBook.

It renders a second computer next to useless, and makes working on the go more confusing (and we switched to Macs to avoid such confusion.)

Lastly, it costs Apple sales, by locking many users into choosing to work either at a Laptop or Desktop, when they could be owners of both.

If RIM's Blackberry can sync messages reliably, why can't Apple's products?
  • Reply 23 of 123
    macvaultmacvault Posts: 323member
    I want...

1) Quicken (Windows version) for OS X. Yes, I know about Quicken for Mac - but it SUCKS! They're like two totally different apps.

2) Microsoft Money.
  • Reply 24 of 123
    i have just one:

ProDesktop (3d modelling program)

nice and easy to use but powerful at the same time.

stu
  • Reply 25 of 123
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

4. Aperture Jr. for us less talented.

They call it "iPhoto"
  • Reply 26 of 123
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

It is unbelievable to me that fifteen years after the first Powerbook, a full decade into the email revolution and on the verge of the fifth revision to OS X, there is still no way to reliably synchronize one's email between a Power Mac and a PowerBook.

It renders a second computer next to useless, and makes working on the go more confusing (and we switched to Macs to avoid such confusion.)

Lastly, it costs Apple sales, by locking many users into choosing to work either at a Laptop or Desktop, when they could be owners of both.

Your email synching problems should be solved by using the IMAP protocol: The messages remain on the server. They can be downloaded for working on the go and changes can be synched the next time you are online.

Apple's own Mail.app does seem to ommit some IMAP features, though.

I'd be delighted if someone could explain to me how to subscribe to and unsubscribe from IMAP folders in Mail.app or recommend an other fully IMAP-capable email-client besides Thunderbird.

There is a feature in OS X Server that covers most portable synching needs which I think they should also make available in the regular version. Or maybe they could release a home/small business server version (maybe up to 5 clients) that make it easy to administer small (home/SoHo) networks as well as manage all of the digital media content in a household... one can dream.

Quote:

From Apple's OS X Server website

Network and Portable Home Directories

You can also use Workgroup Manager to provide network-based home directories, so users can access their own personalized desktop, applications and files from any computer on the network ? or use them to back up their work. With Mac OS X Server v10.4, PowerBook and iBook users can now enjoy synchronized versions of home directory folders locally and on the network. When a user goes offline, her home directory goes with her, so she can continue to work just as if she would back at the office. When she reconnects to the network, Mac OS X automatically syncs up selected content in her local home directory with the one on the server.

• Reply 27 of 123
    skyboltskybolt Posts: 111member
    I totally agree with the thoughts about Streets & Trips, but would definately NOT want Microsoft -- I dislike ANYTHING Microsoft -- too user unfriendly. Delorme makes a great product (Street Atlas), but no longer for macs -- that product is far superior, in my opinion, than any other mapping for any platform. I could even get my husband to switch if he could get that!

I also agree that Quicken for macs is horrible -- we need something better. MSMoney is good, but again, won't use anything MS.

Just my two cents!
  • Reply 28 of 123
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    VISIO

VISIO

and

VISIO

OOo/staroffice OSX native, none of this 3rd party hack-a-day Neooffice crap

And lets think the other way for a second: APPLE GIVE US A GOD DAMND KEYNOTE PRESENTER FOR WINDOWS...Timed QT videos dont cut it out here in the real world.
  • Reply 29 of 123
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    GIS software...and yeah an N64 emulator! Ok off to check back on sixtyforce...crap I should be writing a paper!
  • Reply 30 of 123
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Darth_Apple

.. what would they be? and why?

AutoCad -> my girlfriend uses it alot and if it were available for a Mac she would switch just like me (well she'll probably switch anyways.. )

I don't intend to sound like a mac fanboy here, since I wouldn't mind if most of these programs were available on the mac either. I'm more intent on trying to help folks looking for mac equivalents.

CAD Tools:

I get the feeling that the only people who know about FormZ are people who already use it, as well as EIAS users. It can do DWG, DXF, and a zillion other formats, has 2D and 3D capabilities, and *gasp* has an exhaustive set of parametric tools. Autodesk's shocking lack of anything parametric should be enough to label it as "worthless." Why anyone still uses AutoCAD (or 3DSMAX) is a mystery to me.

As for SolidWorks, yeah, that's a nice one to have, but mostly for the analysis tools and those sorts of things. It seems, though, that it's not unlikely that SolidWorks will at some point show up on the mac. ProE/ProDesktop probably won't, but seriously, if you can't do it in FormZ or the potential SolidWorks version for mac, then it's something that can't be done.

Visio:

I have it on my PC and I use Illustrator instead. Maybe you've found the secret to make Visio not such a pain in the ass -- please share (I'm serious). Even so, OmniGraffle is a pretty solid Visio clone on the mac.

Personally, I'd like to see a standalone tex program similar to the likes of lyx. I'd also like to have the Xilinx ISE on the mac, but that's not going to happen, since macs don't have parallel ports anyway! There is a version of the ISE for Linux, however.
  • Reply 31 of 123
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I like that idea of encouraging anyone that knows of worthy equivalents to share.

If anyone knows of a GIS app for Mac PLEASE tell me I will be eternally indebted.

And NO, Grass or whatever the crap that open source stuff is...does not count. I tried it. Last week. Junk.
  • Reply 32 of 123
    I figure I'll add one more: Allegro

If Allegro and the Xilinx ISO were on the mac, I'd never need to use a PC, but I'm not holding my breath.
  • Reply 33 of 123
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Visio:

I have it on my PC and I use Illustrator instead. Maybe you've found the secret to make Visio not such a pain in the ass -- please share (I'm serious). Even so, OmniGraffle is a pretty solid Visio clone on the mac.

Yes, Visio may be a pain, and accually a little overwheming for first timers, but using illistrator for topology layout, DFDs, flowcharts and the like would be like using a sledge hammer to drive a nail on which you will hang a photo. There is also a world of lockin, TONS, and I mean thousands of stencils are made for Visio, I would rather pay $200 for Visio:mac than convert my collection of ~1500 Cisco/Adtran/HP/Dell/IBM hardware icons, the ~500 generic logos (think Hocky-Puck routers) and all of the general purpose templates that MS includes to work with a differant tool like Graffle.

And as to the "make visio not such a pain in the ass" request: buy a book, hell I will sell you mine, it is acctually really straight forward when you know what you are doing...kinda like...illustrator, it is a pro app, the scale tilts more to the side of power over usability, just like the Adobe apps...Ever seen a noob try to do a project end to end in CS...it is kinda funny.
  • Reply 34 of 123
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

And as to the "make visio not such a pain in the ass" request: buy a book, hell I will sell you mine, it is acctually really straight forward when you know what you are doing...kinda like...illustrator, it is a pro app, the scale tilts more to the side of power over usability, just like the Adobe apps...Ever seen a noob try to do a project end to end in CS...it is kinda funny.

I think the learning curve for Adobe Apps is highly overrated. When you think about it, MS Office probably has a much higher learning curve. But that's another topic.

Anyway, I make mostly block digrams and engineering things. Illustrator just can make them so darn pretty. Example
  • Reply 35 of 123
    isracesisraces Posts: 92member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macvault

I want...

1) Quicken (Windows version) for OS X. Yes, I know about Quicken for Mac - but it SUCKS! They're like two totally different apps.

2) Microsoft Money.

Completely agree.
  • Reply 36 of 123
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Microsoft Access

Microsoft SQL Server

Autocad
  • Reply 37 of 123
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I think the learning curve for Adobe Apps is highly overrated. When you think about it, MS Office probably has a much higher learning curve. But that's another topic.

Anyway, I make mostly block digrams and engineering things. Illustrator just can make them so darn pretty. Example

WOW...how long did that take? and did you have to draw the lines, or could you just select a point a and b and maybe a c point for a direction change and have the line autogenerate(I have yet to master the use of a Wacom pen, it just isnt like a ball-point )

I may be able to do something like that in visio, but it would take about 2 hours, at least at my level. That is amazing.

edit:

adobe isnt really too hard once you learn one app, but it is a bytch for noobs to learn. I can use PS, but I sure as hell cant use it efficiantly, compared to the guys who give demos that I have seen, sooo many hidden keyboard shortcuts, so many key combos, so little time to learn them all.

• Reply 38 of 123
    Quote:

WOW...how long did that take? and did you have to draw the lines, or could you just select a point a and b and maybe a c point for a direction change and have the line autogenerate(I have yet to master the use of a Wacom pen, it just isnt like a ball-point )

I may be able to do something like that in visio, but it would take about 2 hours, at least at my level. That is amazing.

edit:

adobe isnt really too hard once you learn one app, but it is a bytch for noobs to learn. I can use PS, but I sure as hell cant use it efficiantly, compared to the guys who give demos that I have seen, sooo many hidden keyboard shortcuts, so many key combos, so little time to learn them all.

Thing is, MS apps have the same problems. It's just that, these days, people are beaten over the head with MS Apps since age 3, so it "seems" easier. But yes, once you figure out one Adobe app, the rest come easily.

The drawing itself was pretty quick to do. I have a few custom swatches and symbol libraries I use to make the blocks, and now it ends up taking about as long as it would in Visio. I use "snap to point" and "snap to grid" to give it a really similar feel to Visio. I think the original reason I stopped using Visio was precisely that it's not very easy (if possible at all) to control how the interconnect lines bend and overlap. When you need to make a multi-forking flowchart or whatnot, I would spend more time in Visio trying to figure out how to "trick" the program into doing what I wanted to do rather than actually doing it. It was then that I promptly exited the program, opened Illustrator, and stayed late that day making the symbol libraries I needed. In Illustrator it's really easy to add and subtract points from the paths (lines), which is good when you need to make alterations.
  • Reply 39 of 123
    hxc04hxc04 Posts: 145member
    Paint
  • Reply 40 of 123
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

VISIO

Is there something wrong with OmniGraffle?

edit: OK, I missed the later explaination. It would seem there's money to be made in object translation software.