Conroe, Woodcrest, Merom to ship in Q3

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
It looks like Intel has moved up its release of Core, according to this article from Tom's. That means Apple will be fully transitioned to Intel at least by the end of the year, if not a lot sooner.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I sure hope those are some good chips, because the names suck! And I don't care that someone is going to inform me where the names come from. They suck!
  • Reply 2 of 33
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Duh, they're just project codenames... sheesh.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    kukitokukito Posts: 113member
    I actually like the Conroe codename. I wouldn't mind the upcoming headless Mac being named the Conroe Mac, although Intel would have to agree. Woodcrest is very Intel and Merom is a place in Israel. The names will be Xeon and Core Duo/Solo.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by kukito

Merom is a place in Israel.

Which is fitting as this is where the whole Core architecture has been developed. Israel is a godsend for Intel at the moment.

I'm really excited by the Merom chip, this brings truth to my hopes of a Merom MacBook Pro at the start of next year.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Ohh. I so hoped to get a Merom mac book pro in august/september. Looks like my wish may be fulfilled (tyJ)
  • Reply 6 of 33
    dansgildansgil Posts: 62member
    What name would they use. They wouldn't use the name Core-Duo anymore, would they?
  • Reply 7 of 33
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Core Pro.

• Reply 8 of 33
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Does anyone know the speeds that merom will initially begin at?
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Duh, they're just project codenames... sheesh.

I know they're codenames duh! But woodcrest sounds like it came from Microsoft! It's doesn't sound that cool. Next year they will announce a new 50 core chip, codename Lumberjack!! or possibly Bushwhacker
  • Reply 10 of 33
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Core Pro.

Power Core Pro

• Reply 11 of 33
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

Does anyone know the speeds that merom will initially begin at?

2.33GHz.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30506

(No "Hard Core" jokes? I expected more.)
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Apple Core? Anyway: Anders: Ditto! I'm joensing for a Merom 15" MBP, preferably with an ATI x1900 GPU...
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

2.33GHz.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30506

(No "Hard Core" jokes? I expected more.)

I noticed on the top of that list, there's a TBA speed chip, with possible 800Mhz FSB. Faster than a 2.33 Duo? 2.5 Core Duo?? Nice
  • Reply 14 of 33
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    A 2 ghz merom for $290. That's what I'm waiting for.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

I know they're codenames duh! But woodcrest sounds like it came from Microsoft! It's doesn't sound that cool. Next year they will announce a new 50 core chip, codename Lumberjack!! or possibly Bushwhacker

Or even worse, just imagine if they called the next generation, "Dublin."

</sarcasm>
  • Reply 16 of 33
    Good Job I don't live in that shit-hole
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by dansgil

What name would they use. They wouldn't use the name Core-Duo anymore, would they?

It is very possible Intel will keep the name "Core Duo" and spill it accross all versions,

ie the Core Solo T1300 and the Core Duo T2600 are Yonah, so:

- Merom @ 1.83 Ghz would be "Core Duo T5600" (L2 2MB and FSB 667)

- Merom @ 2.33 Ghz would be "Core Duo T7600" (L2 4MB and FSB 667)

- Conroe @ 1.60 GHz would be "Core Duo E4200" (L2 2MB and FSB 800)

- Conroe @ 2.40 GHz would be "Core Duo E6600" (L2 4MB and FSB 1067)

- Woodcrest @ 3.33 GHz would be "Core Duo E8000 Xeon" (L2 4MB and FSB 1333)

All 64-bit Core will be dualcore minimum. No single core version.

The letter "T" is for a TDP between 25W and 49W, and "E" is for TDB > 50W.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I think Intel has a pretty consistent naming pattern though, depending on which design facility was used, and usually the code name is after a geographical feature.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:

I noticed on the top of that list, there's a TBA speed chip, with possible 800Mhz FSB. Faster than a 2.33 Duo? 2.5 Core Duo?? Nice

Doesn't matter. Intel won't bring support of 800 MHz FSB until Santa Rosa and Crestline in early/middle 2007.

@JeffDM: As far as I can discern, the codenames don't have much to do with the place where the chips were designed, but rather use names from the same are for the same type of chip, no matter where they were developed.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

I think Intel has a pretty consistent naming pattern though, depending on which design facility was used, and usually the code name is after a geographical feature.

Ok fair enough, that it's a much clearer and more acceptable explanation of the current situation. And makes sense kind of.