Yahoo! Kills Java Chat

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Those Mac users wishing to use Yahoo! Chat have just seen their options cut down. Yahoo! no longer supports browser-based room chat:

http://chat.yahoo.com/

Now they want everybody to download the Windows Messenger.

By shutting down the Java chat servers, they've effectively killed Mac chat clients like Chit Chat.

Now the only program I know of that works with Yahoo! chat rooms is Charla...which, to put it politely, is a bug-ridden abomination.

Thanks for nothing, Yahoo!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Ahh...that would explain why Chit Chat stopped working for me this evening. Stupid Yahoo . Why the hell can't they just give us a halfway decent version of Messenger? Gaaah...it just annoys me.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Stupid question, but doesn't Adium support yahoo? I don't use Yahoo my self, but Adium is excellent piece of software.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Does anyone know why Yahoo!is so Mac-unfriendly?

I don't get it.\
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barbara Ann

Does anyone know why Yahoo!is so Mac-unfriendly?

I don't get it.\

It's all about the Benjamins, baby!

There's not enough money to be made by writing and supporting a Yahoo! Chat client for Mac, or any other "alternative" OS, for that matter. They're beholden to their shareholders, and if their shareholders think the stock will suffer by them spending money they deem will not result in a return on investment.

Granted, if Apple's claim (has to be taken with a grain of salt) that 50% of new Mac sales in the last year were to brand new Mac users, then Yahoo! is being extremely short-sighted by neglecting a growing market.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Project2501

Stupid question, but doesn't Adium support yahoo? I don't use Yahoo my self, but Adium is excellent piece of software.

I believe it only supports IM, but not chat rooms. Course I could be wrong.