I tripped over...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
...my ethernet cable connected to my iBook G4. Yep, the laptop fell to the floor - but incurred no damage... except that it landed on the side where the cable was connected. The cable was fine, but the connector was jammed. I pulled it out and tried reconnecting it and got online for a second - but then lost the connection.

Will this mean a whole motherbaord relacement, or can I just have the port replaced? I guess I can easily just go wireless in my apartment, but I like having the option of a DSL line if I travel.

Help?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Those are soldered on - you'll need a mobo.

Unless you can jack around with the connectors inside and see if anything is bent.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    If the connectors aren't bent... then what? Can a new port be soldered on?

I feel so stupid... urgh!\
  • Reply 3 of 9
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    ouch! bad luck

Yes, a new port can be soldered on, or the current port could be re-soldered.

The thing is, you would need to find someone willing to do the soldering. Apple definitely won't - they'll just want to replace the whole MB (what a waste).

There is the possibility, however, that you cracked or otherwise damaged the motherboard itself - in which case it will obviously have to be replaced.

A third-party Apple repair centre may be willing to look at the motherboard and attempt to re-solder if that will fix the problem.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Aw... hope. Thank you!

Well, I took it to an authorized dealer/store/repair place called Melrose Mac. The counter clerk was guessing that the mobo needed replacing, but then an older gentleman came in (clearly the expert) and said it's worth a look to see if something inside (I want to say a peg or a mount) wasn't damaged, then possibly it could be reconnected/repaired.

I feel so stupid having triped over the cable I've been so carefully placing just so that wouldn't happen. It's been a while since I've owned a laptop - forgot how fragile they could be.

Thank you for the encouraging reply.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barbara Ann

Aw... hope. Thank you!

Well, I took it to an authorized dealer/store/repair place called Melrose Mac. The counter clerk was guessing that the mobo needed replacing, but then an older gentleman came in (clearly the expert) and said it's worth a look to see if something inside (I want to say a peg or a mount) wasn't damaged, then possibly it could be reconnected/repaired.

I feel so stupid having triped over the cable I've been so carefully placing just so that wouldn't happen. It's been a while since I've owned a laptop - forgot how fragile they could be.

Thank you for the encouraging reply.

If they want a lot to fix it, you can always just buy an Airport.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Maybe Apple should look into a magnetic, break-away ethernet connector, like the MacBook power cords. Hope your fix is an easy one!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I'd suggest the wireless option too if the ethernet/mobo is expensive. After all, you might trip over it again ya clumsy oaf . You can get a usb dongle and a wireless router for a combined price of about £65. The pre-n routers are looking quite cheap actually.

It's probably best getting it fixed though if you plan to resell it. I certainly wouldn't buy a machine with a broken ethernet port.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Thanks for all your responses!

If, God willing, the motherboard is OK, but they cannot fix the ethernet port without replacing it, I'll just go wireless. A new mobo would run me like $500, right?

I am looking into getting the wireless router (Belkin?) do I need to get the usb dongle in addition to that? (clearly, I am not the expert here - which is why I joined this site - to ask and learn!)

Marvin is right, I will most likely trip over the ethernet cable again if I don't go wireless... but I am still hoping they can fix it
  • Reply 9 of 9
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    Don't feel stupid--it happens to everyone--I did a similar thing--I tripped over my laptop and destroyed the port where you attach the stereo cable---again I was told I needed a new mother board--

I'm using Airport express to listen to my music--

Just use wireless--and don't feel dumb.