Woudl you want an Apple version of Photoshop?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
If Apple made their own version of photoshop, would you buy it? If so, how much would you be willing to pay?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    iveive Posts: 23member
    Why wait for Apple???

They are in a difficult situation...

If some big big cocoa boys united, they can do it...

Not a app with bells and filters, but a pure photoshop speed clone!

I hope some people will do it ...

ive
  • Reply 2 of 24
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Student discounts? ($150)

Anyways, from what I learned from Aperture, some people at Apple know what they are doing with photos. I think they could pull something off that gives Adobe a run for their money. But I don't see it as a 100% replacement. It will no doubt be a bit faster with all the OS integration and fresh, new code.

As always, I would need to see the specs before I make a decision.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    The absence of legacy code would make an Apple Photoshop competitor faster and more logical in many ways.

When you think about it Adobe PS really isn't that intuitive until you traverse the learning curve.

However it would take Apple at the bare minimum 3 major generations before people could switch to the program without losing too much.

There are so many PS plugins and workflows that simply wouldn't exist initially. The problem is that the print publishing market has been slowly aquiescing to web publishing so you may not see a capable PS competitor for a while because there is little money in it.

I can only dream though about what Apple could do. Man ole mighty it would be nice.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I think most would pay as much a Adobe charges, cause don't you just know apple would make a better product!

And to answer the well known question: Why does photoshop cost so much? Because the average user is retarded!
  • Reply 5 of 24
    dansgildansgil Posts: 62member
    I think if Apple were to do this, it would be wise to make 2 versions: A consumer version, and a professional version. They consumer version could be priced at around $90 or so (Just like PS Elements), and the Pro version could be priced between $250 and $500.

Apple could also integrate the software with iPhoto and Aperture libraries. Maybe the consumer version would be linked to iPhoto and the Pro version to Aperture.

Just my $0.02.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    No, I wouldn't. I'd have to buy a Quad and 4GB of RAM to just run the thing.

Thanks, but no thanks.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Thanks, but no thanks.

That's funny, you need at least 2 gigs to run Photoshop smoothly, and that's to run a handfull of images at a time. Apple comes out with Aperture, which juggle thousands of images in Raw format, offers non-destructive editing - requires 4 gigs - and that's considered insane. Funny that.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Have you tried to "juggle" more than 5 images in Aperture lately? I thought so. Because if you did, you'd know that it's not all that it's hyped up to be.

The "sudden" drop in price should also tell you a little about its quality.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Hey, like, sit down and be quite Gene.

I just bought Aperture and God help you is you spoil it for me...

J/K
  • Reply 10 of 24
    i would probably stick with adobe photoshop just to for interoperability with other adobe apps. plus, i've used photoshop for over a decade and the interface makes sense to me, if only from familiarity.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Aperture isn't even on ver 2 yet. I wouldn't go and start comparing it to PS which is on Ver 8.

I don't believe the price cut has anything to do with the quality or lack thereof. It's more likely the $299 price is more inline with Adobe's product and Lightzone.

Apple's apps normally hit their sweetspot on Version 3

Final Cut Pro 3

Panther (10.3)

DVD Studio Pro 3

etc.

Photoshop is really like Quark in the respect that the app alone really isn't that powerful but when you add in amazing plugins then it takes on a whole new life. Apple would have to foster a very cool plugin format that developers were keen on to really get a PS competitor going.

I have no doubt that Apple could do it and every doubt that they will.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Aperture and Photoshop are two entirely different programs. While there may be some random overlapping similarities, the purpose of each program is very different.

That said, there is a distinct position for a Apple/Photoshop program that works with Aperture like Various Adobe programs work with each other.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ive

Why wait for Apple???

They are in a difficult situation...

Not for long, no they won't be.

a) Apple has done a lot to keep the creative proffesionals on the Mac platform, from video to audio to the OS. Even if Apple released a Photoshop killer, Adobe couldn't pull the product from the Mac platform, because so many of their customers are there.

b) Microsoft will be going into this territory next year after Vista's release, and there is no way Apple will stay on the sidelines if that happens.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Thanks, but no thanks.

Make up your mind, is it "Thanks" or is it "No Thanks", you can't do both.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Photoshop is really like Quark in the respect that the app alone really isn't that powerful but when you add in amazing plugins then it takes on a whole new life.

what? photoshop is incredibly powerful right out of the box. i don't know exactly what you're talking about. for those of us who learned photoshop back in the early versions, the current version of photoshop is incredible compared to back then. i can get nearly any effect in photoshop just from an oem install.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    I don't think Apple will create a seperate version of Photoshop from Aperature. So yes, Aperature is by no means photoshop, but if Apple wanted to make an Apple version of Photoshop...wouldn't it make the most sense to includded the advanced editting features into Aperature itself. That certainly makes for a more integrated experience...the one thing that Adobe's photoshop is certainly lacking right now.

For instance, within Aperature they could have a feature where you can choose to edit in "Advanced Editor", "Work Bench", or w/e the hell they choose to call it, and when you enter this mode, you get a set of advanced features that you find in photoshop.

The one thing that is different however from Aperature and Photoshop that is a problem in terms of integration is creation and editting of non-photograph graphics, web-content, etc. My guess would be Apple does not want to get into this field, so would only address advanced photoshop features that relate to manipulation of photos themselves, and not creation of graphics, etc.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

I don't think Apple will create a seperate version of Photoshop from Aperature. So yes, Aperature is by no means photoshop, but if Apple wanted to make an Apple version of Photoshop...wouldn't it make the most sense to includded the advanced editting features into Aperature itself. That certainly makes for a more integrated experience...the one thing that Adobe's photoshop is certainly lacking right now.

For instance, within Aperature they could have a feature where you can choose to edit in "Advanced Editor", "Work Bench", or w/e the hell they choose to call it, and when you enter this mode, you get a set of advanced features that you find in photoshop.

The one thing that is different however from Aperature and Photoshop that is a problem in terms of integration is creation and editting of non-photograph graphics, web-content, etc. My guess would be Apple does not want to get into this field, so would only address advanced photoshop features that relate to manipulation of photos themselves, and not creation of graphics, etc.

Apple has always gone the modular approach (see Address Book, iCal, Mail, etc.) I wouldn't be surprised if they chose the 'Edit In' approach and let you choose Photoshop or their app (if they chose to create one)...

Rolling these features into Aperture would make zero sense since photographers aren't necessarily Photoshoppers and Photoshoppers aren't necessarily photographers.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Rolling these features into Aperture would make zero sense since photographers aren't necessarily Photoshoppers and Photoshoppers aren't necessarily photographers.

That was sorta my point in my last paragraph. I don't think Apple will make a photoshop...but I think they will include a lot of photoshop type editting tools, that relate to photographs into Aperature in the future.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    bborofkabborofka Posts: 230member
    It would be nice if Apple (or someone else) made a Photoshop-like app that was built on Cocoa and leveraged Core Image. Why aren't any other major developers utilizing Core Image and Core Video? It seems like Apple is the only one that's using their own technologies.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

That was sorta my point in my last paragraph. I don't think Apple will make a photoshop...but I think they will include a lot of photoshop type editting tools, that relate to photographs into Aperature in the future.

Yeah...sorry, my message was meant to emphasize what you had brought up in your last paragraphs. I agree with what you wrote.