Keyboard Shortcuts (Safari mainly)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey All!

I have tried many times to create my own keyboard shortucuts, mainly to try and drop down the bookmarks menu and zoom my windows. I can't, however.

I have tried creating the shortcut keys using the keyboard and mouse screen in preferences but it doesn't work. When I click the plus sign, then select my application, then select my key combo along with the name of the menu item, it all takes in, but when I try it, it doesn't function.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    You have restarted Safari after changing the settings, right?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:

Originally posted by zygomatic

Hey All!

I have tried many times to create my own keyboard shortucuts, mainly to try and drop down the bookmarks menu and zoom my windows. I can't, however.

I have tried creating the shortcut keys using the keyboard and mouse screen in preferences but it doesn't work. When I click the plus sign, then select my application, then select my key combo along with the name of the menu item, it all takes in, but when I try it, it doesn't function.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks..

Make sure you haven't duplicated commands. There is also a debug menu that may be capturing commands.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

You have restarted Safari after changing the settings, right?

Thanks. I did restart Safari but my shortcut still doesn't work.

Here is the hierarchy of my shortcut as seen from the Keyboards Shortcut tab in Keyboard and Mouse preferences.

Application keyboard Shortcuts

-Safari

--Bookmarks, CommandB

Note: Command shows as clover leaf..

Any ideas all?

Marvin, I don't think that Command+B interfears with anything else..
  • Reply 4 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Thanks. I did restart Safari but my shortcut still doesn't work.

Here is the hierarchy of my shortcut as seen from the Keyboards Shortcut tab in Keyboard and Mouse preferences.

Application keyboard Shortcuts

-Safari

--Bookmarks, CommandB

Note: Command shows as clover leaf..

Any ideas all?

Marvin, I don't think that Command+B interfears with anything else..

The menu name is "Show All Bookmarks", not just "Bookmarks".
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

The menu name is "Show All Bookmarks", not just "Bookmarks".

After you said this, I created another shortcut to "Zoom" and it worked. So, basically I can't use "Bookmarks" because it's not considered a menu item, as it is exists on the bar and not underneath. That's cool, I can deal with that. There is already a shortcut to show all book marks..

Thanks all!

EDIT: Like was said, I also needed to restart the application so the new shortcuts can take effect.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

[B]After you said this, I created another shortcut to "Zoom" and it worked. So, basically I can't use "Bookmarks" because it's not considered a menu item, as it is exists on the bar and not underneath.

Yep. It is a menu, not a menu item. So you can't use the Keyboard prefs to assign anything to it.

However, you can use Full Keyboard Access to simulate how Windows does it. Look under "Keyboard Navigation" in the same "Keyboard Shortcuts" window you were using. To select the Bookmarks menu in Safari, you would type control-F2 to activate the menu bar, and then "b" which would activate the Bookmarks menu. Then hit down arrow to drop the menu down. And you can change these keys with the Keyboard Shortcuts window.

So control-F2 then B then down arrow would do what you want.

Control-F1 toggles this feature.