Apple inks consulting deal with former hardware exec

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Computer has entered into a consulting agreement with recently retired iPod Division chief John Rubinstein.

In a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Cupertino, Calif.-based Apple said it formed the agreement through Rubinstein's company J.R. Ruby Consulting Corp.

Under the terms of the deal, Rubinstein has agreed to make himself available to perform consulting services at Apple for up to 20 percent of general weekly business hours, or one business day per week on average, until April 16, 2007.

In return, the iPod maker will pay Rubinstein a non-material flat fee as consideration for his services.

Rubinstein, who oversaw all of Mac hardware engineering before being assigned to head the company's iPod Division, resigned from Apple last month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Is inks an american term, or am I just being stupid? I don't understand this headline. (Headline is "Apple inks consulting deal with former hardware exec".) Or does it refer to Apple's handwriting recognition technology?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    frogggyfrogggy Posts: 14member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MarkyMark

Is inks an american term, or am I just being stupid? I don't understand this headline. (Headline is "Apple inks consulting deal with former hardware exec".) Or does it refer to Apple's handwriting recognition technology?

I'm french but i understand that it means "puts on paper", i.e. makes a written deal...

Doesn't it?

Looks to me it has been in use a long long time. Centuries maybe... At least before the typewriting machines!

It's beyond me that a "rosbeef" doesn't understand this! (no insult intended!?see my own name!)
  • Reply 3 of 11
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yes, that's exactly right. 'Inks' is shorthand for 'makes contract with'.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by frogggy

I'm french but i understand that it means "puts on paper", i.e. makes a written deal...

Am i right?

It's beyond me that a "rosbeef" doesn't understand this! (no insult intended!?see my own name!)

You are correct.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Apple Computer has entered into a consulting agreement with recently retired iPod Division chief John Rubinstein.

[ View this article at AppleInsider.com ]

hmm. Looks like a post exodus, non-compete agreement. Would hate for John to start working magic on the iRivers, now wouldn't we.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kresh

hmm. Looks like a post exodus, non-compete agreement. Would hate for John to start working magic on the iRivers, now wouldn't we.

Good point, that could potentially be a very good reason for this type of arrangement, though I would bet that someone in his position most likely already had a rather extensive non-compete in his contract. Could also be that Apple still wants his input regarding their product designs.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    frogggyfrogggy Posts: 14member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chagi

Good point, that could potentially be a very good reason for this type of arrangement, though I would bet that someone in his position most likely already had a rather extensive non-compete in his contract. Could also be that Apple still wants his input regarding their product designs.

Exactly: it's not about competition. He's with Steve since the NeXT days. He's part of the loyal guard.

I think it's a reciprok agreement : he has the double advantage to enjoy retirement AND still be a part of that great adventure!

Don't forget: the journey is the reward! In Steve's own words...
  • Reply 8 of 11
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MarkyMark

I think there is a proper name for it, but I don't know what it is. I would call it "headline lingo", I hope that doesn't confuse you. One that annoys me is "eyes" as in "group eyes land", possibly for purchase and development. I think it sounds pretty deviant, as in "pedo eyes local kids".

It tends to keep the number of characters small so the headline font size can be maximized, and it makes the headline more provocative.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    well Im from London and the trm 'inks' is both pretty common and self explanatory
  • Reply 10 of 11
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by frogggy

Doesn't it?

Quote:

Originally posted by spyinthesky

well Im from London and the trm 'inks' is both pretty common and self explanatory

I'm a hillbilly and understand what it means...
  • Reply 11 of 11
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    "Inks" a deal "Signs" a deal. It's a written contractual agreement AFAIK.

I thought INK was used all over the world. What.. is the pen illegal where you live? Seems pretty self explanatory. Not only that. They give a light description of the "deal" in the article.