iMac G5 20" won't sleep

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello,

iMac G5, 20", 2.0Ghz (purchased from Apple in Oct. 2005)

won't sleep unless done manually.

Has all updates. Last OS update was done using Combo update. Cocktail used weekly to maintain system.

Of course, all settings (that I know of - energy saver, etc.) which could interfere with sleep have been turned off.

Any ideas?

It's no big deal to do things manually; but, I'd rather have it power down & sleep as it should.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by user23

Hello,

iMac G5, 20", 2.0Ghz (purchased from Apple in Oct. 2005)

won't sleep unless done manually.

Has all updates. Last OS update was done using Combo update. Cocktail used weekly to maintain system.

Of course, all settings (that I know of - energy saver, etc.) which could interfere with sleep have been turned off.

Any ideas?

It's no big deal to do things manually; but, I'd rather have it power down & sleep as it should.

I don't understand your question.

You want the iMac to go to sleep automatically after you've left it idle for a while? That is one of the things that "energy saver" does, so you should not have "disabled" it, whatever you mean by that (energy saver cannot be specifically turned off, but all its options can be set to "never").

If you could clarify exactly what you are wanting to happen, we should be able to get to the bottom of it.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    user23user23 Posts: 199member
    I thought what I said was clear; but, I shall restate:

A Mac running OS X ****should**** sleep after some amount of Idle time, specified by the user, through energy saver.

However, my Mac doesn't go to sleep unless I manually put the computer to sleep.

I would like for the automatic sleep feature to kick in...but, it doesn't. Alas. I find it rather strange.... I believe the problem began a security update or two ago.

• Reply 3 of 13
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

I thought what I said was clear; but, I shall restate:

A Mac running OS X ****should**** sleep after some amount of Idle time, specified by the user, through energy saver.

However, my Mac doesn't go to sleep unless I manually put the computer to sleep.

I would like for the automatic sleep feature to kick in...but, it doesn't. Alas. I find it rather strange.... I believe the problem began a security update or two ago.

O.K. But, from your original post:

Quote:

What do you mean by energy saver has been "turned off"?

First, try resetting the SMU.

If that doesn't work:

Which O.S. are you using? Presumably 10.4?

Have you installed any new software recently (apart from the aforementioned security updates)?

Is your Mac connected to any sort of network?

Try creating a new user (open system preferences and click on "accounts". At the bottom left is a button with a "+" symbol. Press it and fill in the necessary info.), then logging in as that user, setting up energy saver accordingly, and waiting to see if the computer sleeps as it should. If it does, there's something wrong in your user account such as a corrupted preference file.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    You have quite the left-brain orientation, Mr. H.

Thanks for reigning me in

I'll try out the advice you were so kind to offer me, and I'll let you know. I suspect resetting the SMU will resolve the problem.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Resetting SMU solved problem.

Curiously, (or perhaps this is what should happen?) all System prefs. (along with Safari prefs.) were reset to default. Also, the Volume balance changed to only output through the left channel. Easily fixed, at least.

Anyway, thanks for the help, Mr. H.

edit: Oh No

I just discovered my extensive list of e-mail addys that Safari was so nicely keeping managed & remembered for me is *gone* <ugh!>
  • Reply 6 of 13
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

edit: Oh No

I just discovered my extensive list of e-mail addys that Safari was so nicely keeping managed & remembered for me is *gone* <ugh!>

None of that should happen unless you chose "Reset Safari". What email addresses? Safari keeps bookmarks, UserIDs and passwords, history, and other Autofill form information.

Are you by chance using the new account that Mr. H said to make, instead of your regular account?

None of the System Prefs should have been affected by the SMU reset either. Some of those get reset by a PRAM zap.

Make sure you are logged into the correct account.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    sorry Lundy, today I just can't think...and type at the same time.

I meant to say that Apple's Mail (not safari, as I mis-typed) lost all of my e-mail addys....It's as though I first booted up my Mac & just set up Mail. Mail retained my POP account info....it kept all my old messages, etc. However, when typing in an e-mail address....nothing "autofills." since the SMU reset.

yeah, I'm logged into the only account I've got set up. And, yeah, I definitely didn't zap the PRAM....that's a totally different procedure than SMU reset & hard to mix-up...even for me.

Thanks again for playing along with my mini-saga guys.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    I've been trying to find the file that holds the Previous Recipients list. That is what appears to be missing.

See if you have a file named "Envelope Index" in your Home folder under ~/Library/Mail/ .

If so, see when it was created.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    did a search "Envelope Index" & found it.

created today, at the exact time I woke the computer from sleep, opened mail & checked my mail.

When it rains, it pours, now Apple Mail won't let me send outgoing mail..

I get the message "the sender address [email protected] was rejected by the server"

MS Entourage (I just tested) lets me send & receive mail with this same account.

Something appears to have become corrupted.

edit: What is "LSMMap2" for?

I have 2 versions of that in my mail folder.

one is simply titled "LSMMap2"

the other is titled "LSMMap2.corrupt"
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

did a search "Envelope Index" & found it.

created today, at the exact time I woke the computer from sleep, opened mail & checked my mail.

That's the creation date - not the modified or last opened date? Do you perhaps have a backup of the system that you could retrieve the Envelope Index file from?

Quote:

When it rains, it pours, now Apple Mail won't let me send outgoing mail..

I get the message "the sender address [email protected] was rejected by the server"

Yeah - you need to set the SMTP server to your ISP.

Quote:

MS Entourage (I just tested) lets me send & receive mail with this same account.

Something appears to have become corrupted.

edit: What is "LSMMap2" for?

I have 2 versions of that in my mail folder.

one is simply titled "LSMMap2"

the other is titled "LSMMap2.corrupt"

I don't see how any of that could have happened - I am stumped. What I would do is post on the Apple Discussions Forum.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/
  • Reply 11 of 13

You'll see from the pic that I've got the SMTP configured.

Thanks for trying to help. I appreciate it.

I'll take my question down the road....
  • Reply 12 of 13
    The "Envelope Index" file is on a sparseImage dmg? Sounds as if it may be using the wrong one.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

The "Envelope Index" file is on a sparseImage dmg? Sounds as if it may be using the wrong one.

Since last I posted, all has gone to hell. There is some massive corruption going on with my system. I hit up Apple support...but, still I've got problems...like, keychain corruption - that dumb issue with Mail not sending messages...etc..etc..

I'm just going to back up all my data, reinstall OS X fresh, and begin again - just like the good old days of OS 9.