If Apple asked "you" what apps you would like that are not available on the Mac...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 123
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I design and make machined parts and products. I would like some CAM software. CAM software made by someone that understands the "OS X way" might not be such a pain as some of the Windows programs I've used.

There are apparently some CAD programs, all I care about is DWG import and good export to standard formats.
  • Reply 42 of 123
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I don't intend to sound like a mac fanboy here, since I wouldn't mind if most of these programs were available on the mac either. I'm more intent on trying to help folks looking for mac equivalents.

CAD Tools:

I get the feeling that the only people who know about FormZ are people who already use it, as well as EIAS users. It can do DWG, DXF, and a zillion other formats, has 2D and 3D capabilities, and *gasp* has an exhaustive set of parametric tools. Autodesk's shocking lack of anything parametric should be enough to label it as "worthless." Why anyone still uses AutoCAD (or 3DSMAX) is a mystery to me.

I thought parametric was an add-on to AutoCAD for a decade now (I've seen it demo'ed and for sale a long time ago), not something you get in the base product.

I'm suspicious of AutoDesSys's sales system for FormZ. There are no prices on the site, no way to buy the product without going through a dealer, and their site says it isn't for sale as mail order. They don't even have the dealer list on the web site, you have to request it. That sounds like a system designed to subject people to high pressure sales tactics. The setup is pretty backwards in my opinion. All these seem to explain why "nobody" knows about the product.
  • Reply 43 of 123
    Quote:

Originally posted by tilt

2. Project Management App that can not only read, but also write MS-Project files (.mpp)

Cheers

Your wish is granted - try "Merlin"

http://www.projectwizards.net/en/merlin
  • Reply 44 of 123
    Quote:

Originally posted by skybolt

I totally agree with the thoughts about Streets & Trips, but would definately NOT want Microsoft -- I dislike ANYTHING Microsoft -- too user unfriendly. Delorme makes a great product (Street Atlas), but no longer for macs -- that product is far superior, in my opinion, than any other mapping for any platform. I could even get my husband to switch if he could get that!

I also agree that Quicken for macs is horrible -- we need something better. MSMoney is good, but again, won't use anything MS.

Just my two cents!

try MYOB (as in Mind Your Own Business)
  • Reply 45 of 123
    ArchiCAD is a great alternative to AutoCAD. (if building is your bag) Complete with full 3D modelling and rendering engines and full import export to DWG/DXF.
  • Reply 46 of 123
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
  • Reply 47 of 123
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

Is there something wrong with OmniGraffle?

edit: OK, I missed the later explaination. It would seem there's money to be made in object translation software.

I would pay ~$40-50 more than the regular price for a "pro" version of graffle that could convert Visio assets...maybe I should write the people over at Omni a letter.
  • Reply 48 of 123
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aussie John

Thanks AJ. Am downloading it as we speak

Cheers
  • Reply 49 of 123
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    progmac you have used GIS software before? GRASS does not open coverages. It just doesn't...work. At all. It's X11. It's garbage.
  • Reply 50 of 123
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

I thought parametric was an add-on to AutoCAD for a decade now (I've seen it demo'ed and for sale a long time ago), not something you get in the base product.

I'm suspicious of AutoDesSys's sales system for FormZ. There are no prices on the site, no way to buy the product without going through a dealer, and their site says it isn't for sale as mail order. They don't even have the dealer list on the web site, you have to request it. That sounds like a system designed to subject people to high pressure sales tactics. The setup is pretty backwards in my opinion. All these seem to explain why "nobody" knows about the product.

The parametric toolset in AutoCAD still ends up storing the data as polylines. . . . or at least every time I've seen it used, that's how it has been.

FormZ has fixed prices. It comes in three versions: the modeler, the modeler with a renderer, and the modeler with a radiosity renderer. If you're looking to get the best deal, just get the modeler and buy EIAS for your renderer/animator. It's more or less price-competitive with AutoCAD. I'm sure if you email the support staff they can tell you where to go.
  • Reply 51 of 123
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:

Originally posted by yama

SixtyForce was updated recently you know...

There's also Mupen64, which gives pretty good results. As far as PSX emulators are concerned though - it's all gone downhill ever since Sony bought over Connetix Virtual Game Station.

edit: I was messing around looking for a link to Mupen64 and I found out it was a universal binary already in November 2005!

I went off sixtyforce when they started charging for it. Plus the updates are far too slow. Mupen64 played games better IMO (still not great though).

As for playstation, the best so far is the Mac port of PCSX:

http://pcsx.gpost.dk/download.php

But updates are slow and it's still not as good as connectix VGS. Those guys at Connectix were emulation gods.

Quote:

Purchase Parallels and bring it up to a high standard - and drive MS nuts.

Why do people assume using parallels will worry M$? You still have to buy Windows, which is the way M$ make their money anyway.

I don't think there is any software I'd want ported from Windows. 3DS Max maybe but despite the quality, there are only two rendering engines extensively tested for a production environment - Mental Ray and Renderman, both of which are on OS X. For modelling/animating, Maya is powerful enough and is integrated with Shake.

I just wish Maya for OS X was more optimized though. It is dog slow.

Reports on AutoCAD suggest it's not as good as the competition although it's industry standard. I know of universities that use just Macs in their CAD dept - I think they use Vectorworks but I'm not sure. As long as it edits DXF/DWG and exports files OK then there shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:

Personally, I'd like to see a standalone tex program similar to the likes of lyx.

http://www.la.utexas.edu/~tnishino/osx_lyx/

Apart from the 3D stuff, I'd be quite happy running any Windows software in parallels.
  • Reply 52 of 123
    One word: Microsoft Access

Don't tell me it sucks or anything. It is used almost everywhere in office.
  • Reply 53 of 123
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aussie John

AJ, I downloaded Merlin and tried it out. It is by far the best and the easiest Project Management app I have used. Thanks for the link.

Cheers
  • Reply 54 of 123
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

progmac you have used GIS software before? GRASS does not open coverages. It just doesn't...work. At all. It's X11. It's garbage.

I've actually never used GRASS before, I always use the PCs at school. But I do know that it exists and calls itself GIS software. Sorry, didn't mean to upset you.
  • Reply 55 of 123
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by whistle

I agree with you 100%. It is the number one reason why Mac's aren't seen in business. Access is that big.

Dave
  • Reply 56 of 123
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave K.

I agree with you 100%. It is the number one reason why Mac's aren't seen in business. Access is that big.

Dave

That would explain why most businesses are shitty. Their non-integrated databases must be a nightmare to handle.

I'd rather see Access stay where it belongs.
  • Reply 57 of 123
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I don't intend to sound like a mac fanboy here, since I wouldn't mind if most of these programs were available on the mac either. I'm more intent on trying to help folks looking for mac equivalents.

CAD Tools:

I get the feeling that the only people who know about FormZ are people who already use it, as well as EIAS users. It can do DWG, DXF, and a zillion other formats, has 2D and 3D capabilities, and *gasp* has an exhaustive set of parametric tools. Autodesk's shocking lack of anything parametric should be enough to label it as "worthless." Why anyone still uses AutoCAD (or 3DSMAX) is a mystery to me.

Don't worry you don't and ya I knew about some of the CAD programs for Mac, but AutoCad is the standard... but I truly wish it weren't.

Btw here's a great site for Cad programs for Mac http://www.architosh.com/... heck these guys even started a petition (and a study) to bring AutoCad to Mac and it was signed by over 100,000 people... and here's the report if anyones interested http://www.architosh.com/news/2004-0...autodesk.phtml
  • Reply 58 of 123
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave K.

Dave

No, it's not.

Access has seen success only because it's bundled with office. Even with that advantage, the program's used even less for web databases (the biggest use of databases these days) than Filemaker.

Getting the program on OS X would be nice, but an Access to Filemaker tool is really all the platform needs.

There are many reasons Macs haven't gone corporate, but a lack of Access (pun intended) isn't one of the biggest.
  • Reply 59 of 123
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    Microsoft Money

Metastock
  • Reply 60 of 123
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

Originally posted by whistle

That's 2 words. And yes, it does suck.