Mighty Mouse a good idea?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I picked up a Mighty Mouse and was more than pleased with it - for the literal week and a half that it worked. Now, the scroll ball ceases to function, and therefore I'm planning on taking it back to the store shortly.

My question comes, however, in what I should get in its stead. I loved the mouse, don't really care if it has wires or not, but I've heard that they break easily. Seeing as mine broke in about 10 days, I don't want to start a constant cycle of replacement. Or, if it's just a fluke, I definentally want to pick up another one because I really enjoyed this one.

So - should I pick up another one, or are Mighty Mice always breaking (as I've heard before)?

Thanks,

-tom

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    IMO, the mighty mouse is badly designed. I wouldn't buy one myself. I used one at work and I hated the way you have to lift one finger up all the time to get the other button to register. The clicks were inconsistent.

I use a Microsoft Intellimouse and have done for a few years now and they are very reliable. The only thing I don't like is the height. Apple mice are small and a bit more comfortable but the M$ mouse is sturdy and cheap.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    tdnc101tdnc101 Posts: 109member
    Interesting, thanks. I checked out the Intellimouse and I do like how the colors matched my MBP (I know, I'm shallow enough to exclude a purchase because it doesn't match the rest of the setup). My only concern is, though, your main reason for getting a different mouse is the lifting-finger situation. I only rest one finger on the mouse at all times anyway, so I actually don't mind that in the least.

Did the mouse break, or have you heard of a repeated trend of breaking? My main issue is how often MMs break, for they really decide my return.

Thanks for the response,

-tom
  • Reply 3 of 14
    rob2786rob2786 Posts: 34member
    the track ball does get dirty but you can clean it. just push it up and blow in while having the mouse upside down! that does the trick for me!

but what i was wondering is if you can program the buttons on other mice the way you can with the mighty mouse? ( for example the expose/dashboard functions)

thanks

-Rob
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Problem solved. I had tried cleaning it before, but your pressing-it-while-blowing sure did the trick!

Sorry for the waste of time. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

Originally posted by rob2786

tbut what i was wondering is if you can program the buttons on other mice the way you can with the mighty mouse? ( for example the expose/dashboard functions)

Yup. My Intellimouse actually worked with the Mighty Mouse software at work. It didn't let me program the 5th button though because MM only has 4. M$ actually have software for the mouse but I haven't used it as I prefer using the keyboard keys for dashboard/expose.

Quote:

Originally posted by tdnc101

My only concern is, though, your main reason for getting a different mouse is the lifting-finger situation.

Well sort of. I don't like that all the 3 top buttons register using the same click either. It was mainly that even when making sure I was pressing it correctly, it didn't always do the click I wanted. I use 3D software a lot and I rely on the 3 buttons + wheel and it was just making too many mistakes.

Quote:

Originally posted by tdnc101

Did the mouse break, or have you heard of a repeated trend of breaking? My main issue is how often MMs break, for they really decide my return.

I don't think it broke but I stopped using it after about a week because I couldn't stand it.

This is the way I would like the Mighty Mouse:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=63010
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marvin

Yup. My Intellimouse actually worked with the Mighty Mouse software at work. It didn't let me program the 5th button though because MM only has 4. M$ actually have software for the mouse but I haven't used it as I prefer using the keyboard keys for dashboard/expose.

Well sort of. I don't like that all the 3 top buttons register using the same click either. It was mainly that even when making sure I was pressing it correctly, it didn't always do the click I wanted. I use 3D software a lot and I rely on the 3 buttons + wheel and it was just making too many mistakes.

I don't think it broke but I stopped using it after about a week because I couldn't stand it.

This is the way I would like the Mighty Mouse:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=63010

Yeah. My mouse ball stopped working about three times between last night when I posted, and this morning when I'm currently typing. I'm getting that sweet-looking intellimouse.

Thanks all,

-Tom
  • Reply 7 of 14
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    The mighty mouse has three basic design flaws.

1. The button. Keeping the single button look was nice and all, but in practice it's a failure. Apple needs two seperate buttons.

2. Scroll ball is about half the size it needs to be.

3. The side buttons should be able to be used independent of each toher.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BenRoethig

The mighty mouse has three basic design flaws.

1. The button. Keeping the single button look was nice and all, but in practice it's a failure. Apple needs two seperate buttons.

2. Scroll ball is about half the size it needs to be.

3. The side buttons should be able to be used independent of each toher.

1. ?

2. ?

3. ?

Come on apple!
  • Reply 9 of 14
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I like my Mighty Mouse. The scroll ball is great. I use my fingertips and hold this mouse much more lightly than other types. I don't use the side buttons. Don't need em anyway.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

I like my Mighty Mouse. The scroll ball is great. I use my fingertips and hold this mouse much more lightly than other types. I don't use the side buttons. Don't need em anyway.

I bet you love it when it gets stuck, it's great! You can't beat that, building up a personal relationship with your mouse\
  • Reply 11 of 14
    atomichamatomicham Posts: 185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

I bet you love it when it gets stuck, it's great! You can't beat that, building up a personal relationship with your mouse\

It must have something to do with the amount of oil one's skin produces, I don't know. I have had mine since last Oct., and it has never gotten stuck. Not once. It is a common complaint that people have, but I have been fortunate. I notice other people's keyboards are newer than mine but seem to have a film on them from their fingers yet mine remains clean. Maybe my skin is too dry. I'll get some lotion and see if my might mouse starts failing...
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Logitech LX7

It's band new and it's the absolute best mouse out there.

- 5 buttons that are programmable with dashboard & expose

- both vertical & horizon scrolling

- wireless (infrared)

- optical (battery-saving optical technology)

- most ergonomically comfortable mouse I have ever used

- the two aditional buttons are ergonomically very well situated.

- $39 (how can you bet that)

(I can bought for $29 with rebate from Fry's)

I am not kidding about the comfort of this mouse. It really is the most comfortable mouse I have ever used.

My only complaint is that the horizontal scroll moves slower than the vertical scroll. (It's almost perfect)
  • Reply 13 of 14
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

Now why would you say that to me? I ordered my Mighty Mouse the day they were first announced. It has worked perfectly. Just giving my experience and probably that of many others since happy people don't write as much as unhappy ones.

Now go apologize to your momma cause I'm sure she tried hard to raise you right.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

Now why would you say that to me? I ordered my Mighty Mouse the day they were first announced. It has worked perfectly. Just giving my experience and probably that of many others since happy people don't write as much as unhappy ones.

Now go apologize to your momma cause I'm sure she tried hard to raise you right.

Most of that is true, except the mouse part!