Confessions of a Switcher.

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I've certainly used the Mac alot more than I've used my Windows box now.

Just having an Apple certainly seems to make me more productive.

It certainly is a lot nicer not having to worry about Spyware and Virii everyday...

Whilst I can't give up XP just yet, I certainly will be spreading the greatness of an Apple computer. I would easily reccommend this over a Windows box to a "newbie" computer user (if there are any left) - picking up the OS X from Scratch was certainly very easy as it's all pretty self explanatory - shame it took me a week to figure out to get the equivalent of the right mouse button you got to click the control key...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kmhtkmhtkmht

...shame it took me a week to figure out to get the equivalent of the right mouse button you got to click the control key...

Or you could just get a 3 button mouse and toss that one button mouse out the door, that's what I've always done with my new Macs. Macs have shipped with a one button mouse but the Mac OS has had right click contextual menus, just as Windows, capable of using a multi button mouse, for a very long time.

Does anyone here remember when Contextual menus where added to the Mac OS? I'm thinking it was in the 80's.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

Does anyone here remember when Contextual menus where added to the Mac OS? I'm thinking it was in the 80's.

8.0, late 1997.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    pubguypubguy Posts: 108member
    If you are running an Intel Mac, you might be able to dump that XP box by getting a copy of Parallels Workstation Beta 3 -- it allows you to fully install XP into a virtualized PC at close to native speed and run XP as a window on your Mac. That was the magic ticket for me. 8)
  • Reply 4 of 15
    I have a copy of that Virtual Software but it looked remarkably like VMware too me and I have had bad experiences with it...

I think I might give it a go though.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Been there, installed that. Picked my chin off the floor. Awesome.

Regarding 3-button mice -- they are the devil. A well-written combo of app and OS negates the need for them and your mum can use them easily too.

Few things sum up how sad I was the day that as a left-hander I used a Mac in an Apple Store and -- couldn't use it. I clicked and some random shit came up because the Mighty Mouse was configured 'rightily.' You've no idea how hard muscle memory will screw you up ... and you've no idea how confusing and annoying what I've just described is.

No more can I be guaranteed that I can pick up a Mac mouse and things will 'just work.'
  • Reply 6 of 15
    jdradenjdraden Posts: 89member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

No more can I be guaranteed that I can pick up a Mac mouse and things will 'just work.'

With the Mighty Mouse, the user must change its preference to activate the RIGHT click button, otherwise it's default setting is to LEFT click on both sides. So, at least for people who buy the mouse new, it should work as expected.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    My confession:

I can get into my webspace via FTP, but I cannot add files or folders to it. I have no idea how to remedy this.

~~Quentin
  • Reply 8 of 15
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Quentin

My confession:

I can get into my webspace via FTP, but I cannot add files or folders to it. I have no idea how to remedy this.

~~Quentin

Are you trying FTP access with the Finder? The Finder only lets you read the contents and download - no uploading.

Try Cyberduck, a free FTP client.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

Regarding 3-button mice -- they are the devil. A well-written combo of app and OS negates the need for them

Regarding legs -- the are the devil. A well-contructed combation of a chair and two wheels negates the need for them.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Confessions of a Switcher.

Wait, wait don't tell me you killed the paperboy while wearing a dress.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    There's no need for a multibutton mouse or using 'control'. I stopped using my 8-button Logitech, optical, rechargeable mouse and went back to the one button mouse that came with my G4. It's a lot easier to hold and with One Finger Snap, it becomes a two button mouse. Just hold it down for a fraction of a second and - voila- the right button menu pops up. For under $10, it's great. Go to oldjewelsoftware.com and check it out.

See below:

A right mouse button for one button mice. Thank you for trying One Finger Snap by Old Jewel Software. One Finger Snap is a Preference Pane that brings up the contextual menu whenever you click and hold the mouse button down. This means that you can do everything with a singlebutton mouse that you can do with a 2button mouse in Mac OS X.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    archstudentarchstudent Posts: 262member
    yea slight problem being that one button mice don't have scroll wheels, plus clicking and holding isn't instantaneous. Don't tell me a well written app negates the need for extra buttons, because yes while using an email program or a browser may not require 2 buttons, as soon as you start using technical software those extra buttons start becoming more or less necessary. Try using solidthinking or vectorworks with a one button non-scrolling mouse. Its pretty horrible.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Archstudent

yea slight problem being that one button mice don't have scroll wheels, plus clicking and holding isn't instantaneous. Don't tell me a well written app negates the need for extra buttons, because yes while using an email program or a browser may not require 2 buttons, as soon as you start using technical software those extra buttons start becoming more or less necessary. Try using solidthinking or vectorworks with a one button non-scrolling mouse. Its pretty horrible.

Your right, but as I said, I have an 8 button plus scroll wheel Logitech mouse which I do use When a program requires it. However, I don't have to use it very often. 90% of the time I use my original Mac mouse. With One Finger Snap installed, it becomes a 2 button mouse - well, not really- but holding the mouse down for a fraction of a second brings up the right button menu.

In day to day use, that's all I need.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    archstudentarchstudent Posts: 262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sequitur

Your right, but as I said, I have an 8 button plus scroll wheel Logitech mouse which I do use When a program requires it. However, I don't have to use it very often. 90% of the time I use my original Mac mouse. With One Finger Snap installed, it becomes a 2 button mouse - well, not really- but holding the mouse down for a fraction of a second brings up the right button menu.

In day to day use, that's all I need.

good point, although personally I like to use extra mouse buttons for the exposé functions.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Archstudent

good point, although personally I like to use extra mouse buttons for the exposé functions.

Another aspect: I was beginning to get Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. My doctor told me to avoid certain ways of holding my wrist. Using the 8 button (potato) mouse wireless does put my wrist in an odd position. The Mac mouse doesn't. Why give myself grief when I don't have to.

Again, I can use the Mac mouse with One Finger Snap 90% of the time. I'll probably opt for the Mighty Mouse with buttons and a roller if they ever make in wireless. In the meantime, I'll use the big Logitech potato when I need it.