Comments

• Reply 81 of 118
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Where's France?
  • Reply 82 of 118
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

rageous I stole the keypad off your concept so I could do mine. I hope that's ok!

Mine is no where near as slick, but this is what I would like to see, twice the thickness of a nano, but with 4GB memory (like the nano), larger screen, camera in the back, stainless steel back, you get the idea.

Not bad.
  • Reply 83 of 118
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Ok just an update. Added "talk" and "end" buttons. This would be the most "Apple" solution I guess. When the phone is closed, the FFW and RW buttons act as normal ipod buttons. However, when it is open they become the talk and end buttons. I've also made the screen bigger.

• Reply 84 of 118
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    Quote:

I like the mock-up, but wouldn't the phone be excessively long if you had the length of the nano, plus probably another 1/2 nano for the keyboard? Otherwise I find this being an "Apple" solution.

--Noah
  • Reply 85 of 118
    Well it depends how small you think phones should be. Here's a point of reference: The Nano is 3.5 inches long. My iPhone mockup adds another 2 inches to that length with keypad extended, so it is 5.5inches in total, whilst my actual phone, a Samsung e720 (flip phone) is 6 inches long. A Motorola Razr V3i is 3.85 inches when closed! So it's still pretty small.
  • Reply 86 of 118
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

rageous I stole the keypad off your concept so I could do mine. I hope that's ok!

Mine is no where near as slick, but this is what I would like to see, twice the thickness of a nano, but with 4GB memory (like the nano), larger screen, camera in the back, stainless steel back, you get the idea.

Impossible to use, sorry \
  • Reply 87 of 118
    I'm Assuming the key pad is the slide out type?? yeah
  • Reply 88 of 118
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

How about this?

iPhone with wings?
  • Reply 89 of 118
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Impossible to use, sorry \

Impossible to use? How exactly?
  • Reply 90 of 118
    Anyway here's Ireland's take on rageous' concept (hopefully):

The idea being you don't need a talk end button as

Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland.

when you making a call is turn green so when you press is it calls, and when your on a call it turns red, so when you press is it hangs up. Same would go for answering a call, accept it could flash green or something.

Here's mine with side view and closed view. If you think the bottom buttons would be too difficult to use, a Samsung e720 has its buttons 9mm from the bottom of the phone, my concept has them 8mm from the bottom.

• Reply 91 of 118

I personally would like if they went in this direction. Of course they would need to set it up in a certain way that you could press the 1, 3, 9 and 7 keys without accidentally pressing the click-wheel. They could probably do this by making the centre button on click-wheel slightly smaller and moving the numbers to suit. When you're in phone mode say the numbers could be backlit and the music functions of the click-wheel could be temporarily dropped. But the click-wheel scrolling function would still work for the phone menus.
  • Reply 92 of 118
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

I personally would like if they went in this direction. Of course they would need to set it up in a certain way that you could press the 1, 3, 9 and 7 keys without accidentally pressing the click-wheel. They could probably do this by making the centre button on click-wheel slightly smaller and moving the numbers to suit. When you're in phone made say the numbers could be backlit and the music functions of the click-wheel could be temporarily dropped. But the click-wheel scrolling function would still work for the phone menus.

That is quite a neat idea. I'm still not convinced that they would go for a design that similar to the nano, but I like your scroll-wheel idea.
  • Reply 93 of 118
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Here's mine with side view and closed view. If you think the bottom buttons would be too difficult to use, a Samsung e720 has its buttons 9mm from the bottom of the phone, my concept has them 8mm from the bottom.

[/B]

Ah, now that's more like it. That is the kind of thing I'd like to see.
  • Reply 94 of 118
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

That is quite a neat idea. I'm still not convinced that they would go for a design that similar to the nano, but I like your scroll-wheel idea.

In my mind that mock-up was not similar to the size of the Nano. Like more the area size of the 'Rokr' (thought not the mass) Slimmer, with no roundy edges.

• Reply 95 of 118
    Quote:

Impossible to use? How exactly?

Too narrow. No balance.
  • Reply 96 of 118
    Too narrow? The Razr was criticised for being too wide (at 53mm) but it was a run away success. It's not a good phone either.

It is also only 8mm narrower than the Sony Ericsson z600 I'm looking at now, and it's only 5mm more narrow than a Samsung e720.

The overall difference between my mockup and existing phones in the ratio between height and width is millimeters.

When closed, my concept would be 90mm x 40mm x 12mm.

An e720 is 90mm x 45mm x 23.3mm.

A Motorola Razr is 98mm x 53mm x 13.9 mm.

So mobile phone companies would beg to differ it seems?
  • Reply 97 of 118
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    It's just his opinion. No need to get defensive.
  • Reply 98 of 118
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

It's just his opinion. No need to get defensive.

Sorry if it came across in a rude manner, I just thought I would show how it compares to phones that exist now.
  • Reply 99 of 118
    It is too narrow for adequate spacing between the three buttons. Narrow phones already have that problem today and that phone will be even narrower than the phones you mention. Not everybody have toothpick fingers

It is out of balance because when operating it will be around 3.5 times higher than wider AND with the keypad at the very bottom. That makes it hard to operate with one hand.
  • Reply 100 of 118
    Ok I get what you mean, and in that sense yes phones nowadays (and therefore my concept) are flawed.

Thing is though, my hands are large (I'm 6'5" so comes with the territory) and yes I have difficulty using phones sometimes because my thumb has to bend at odd angles, but I find it ok, and the phone I have at the moment isn't too dissimilar to my concept in proportions. I don't know maybe I've got used to it or maybe being double jointed helps.