My predictions on 10.5

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Just curious: will the user running an IntelMac Windows API app see a Windows window (blue with the 'X' to close and stuff) or an OSX one ?
  • Reply 62 of 66
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I've been thinking about that - while it is possible to do a lot to merge it with the Aqua environment, to what degree do they want to? A lot of Windows apps are laid out by hand, pixel by pixel, with a mixed bag of UI widgets. (Kind of like most legacy Mac apps, really.) Creating a Windows->Aqua layer would result in those apps looking half Aqua/half Win. Weird.

I can see them hoisting the menu bar up to the top though. Maybe.

Hmm, the more I think about the intricacies of this, the less likely I think it is.
  • Reply 63 of 66
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

I can see them hoisting the menu bar up to the top though. Maybe.

Doubtful...some apps have multiple windows with their own menus and some apps make their menus change on context (this is a pure nightmare on an UI standpoint...yes, I'm looking at you Access, you putrid piece of shit.)

I've never seen Mac apps do the "menu shuffle"...and I don't intend to ever see them do such a dance.
  • Reply 64 of 66
    That's true, I recently got 'introduced'* to Lotus Notes. I have never seen such menu mambo as in that app. Sad thing is, it's *trying* to be a Mac app, so it does this with the menu bar. You're right, it's past annoying, and straight into unusable.

*'Introduced' as in 'bend over while we come at you with a 2x4 wrapped in barbed wire'.
  • Reply 65 of 66
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    "Kickaha" Do you think it's technically possibly for them to implement the API thing? Basically, so one could stick in a Windows application disk into a Leopard Mac, and it just works.

It is possible?
  • Reply 66 of 66
    Yeah, technically there's no reason why not.

*Practically* is another matter. Without access to the source code, you're left with trying to recreate all the behaviour of a black box, given just the API. Luckily, there's a metric buttload of data out there for the effects caused by using that API in the form of Windows apps, their bug reports, public blog rants, etc.

But you have to put all the bugs in too. It's very difficult, but technically feasible.