PC Software On Intel ibooks

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am currently an avid PC user. I own an Acer Aspire laptop that is 4 years old and am looking to replace it at some point this summer. I found the new intel ibooks to be an interesting new option for me as I don't like the MAC OS and would prefer to use windows.

I was wondering though, since most programs are made in PC or MAC versions can I install PC software on an intel ibook or am I still limited to buying MAC software?

The answer to this question could determine whether or not I get an ibook.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    socratessocrates Posts: 261member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vaughn42

I am currently an avid PC user. I own an Acer Aspire laptop that is 4 years old and am looking to replace it at some point this summer. I found the new intel ibooks to be an interesting new option for me as I don't like the MAC OS and would prefer to use windows.

I was wondering though, since most programs are made in PC or MAC versions can I install PC software on an intel ibook or am I still limited to buying MAC software?

The answer to this question could determine whether or not I get an ibook.

Thanks.

This is probably the wrong forum for this question, but here goes...

The answer to this question is a little more complex than you might imagine. Basically, straight out of the box, an Intel Mac (there are no intel iBooks at present btw, you will have to get a Macbook Pro or wait till Apple releases new machines) will not run Windows or Windows software.

There is a freely downloadable program from the Apple website called Bootcamp that will let you install Windows XP SP2 on an Intel Mac. You will need a valid installation CD for Windows and it has to be SP2, and neither Apple nor Microsoft will give you any help in doing this, but it should be fairly strightforward from the instructions on Apple's site.

You can get bootcamp from here: http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

Good luck
  • Reply 2 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    If you don't like the Mac OS then there is really no reason to buy a Mac.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Yea that and the fact that they make the most beautiful Laptop's in the world. Why don't you like the Mac OS?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Superior hardware design? The opportunity to learn the errors of your ways ?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    socratessocrates Posts: 261member
    Quote:

That's not true at all. Apple's hardware is beautiful, elegant and powerful in its own right, and if I ever needed a Windows machine, I would prefer the hardware to be made by Apple rather than Dell.

While I choose to use Mac OS, I accept that some people don't, and if such people wish to run their crappy virus-ridden ass-hat of an operating system on a sexy Apple branded laptop, who am I to argue?

Apple survives because it sells hardware. The more hardware they sell, the better Apple's chances of continuing to make great computers and operating systems.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Socrates

That's not true at all. Apple's hardware is beautiful, elegant and powerful in its own right, and if I ever needed a Windows machine, I would prefer the hardware to be made by Apple rather than Dell.

While I choose to use Mac OS, I accept that some people don't, and if such people wish to run their crappy virus-ridden ass-hat of an operating system on a sexy Apple branded laptop, who am I to argue?

Apple survives because it sells hardware. The more hardware they sell, the better Apple's chances of continuing to make great computers and operating systems.

With all respect, it makes absolutely no sense to get a Mac if you only want to run Windows. Windows isn't a supported OS on the Mac.