Wine thread.

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I'm really into white wine at the moment. I've never been a huge fan of big reds like cabarnet, but I had a really nice German riesling recently at the Texas Hill Country Wine & Food Festival.

I need suggestions on this, because I also really enjoyed a local chenin blanc (Chisolm Trail is the label) as well. So recommend some wines and, most importantly, the best website to buy wine from.

Also, how do you guys keep track of your wines?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    Being on the other side of the planet the choice of wines is very different.

For me it is:

Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc

Barossa Shiraz

Coonawarra Cabernet

Watervale or Polish Hill Riesling

Nearly anything from Margaret River

If you go to VT there are a few wine catalogue systems, though unless you have a big cellar I find they are too much.

I typically have 150-200 wines at any one time and all I use is Excel.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Mainly what I'd want out of software is a ranking ability as well with easy searching and sorting by keywords, etc...

I'd be surprised if there was nothing going on either Windows or OSX.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Get yourself a good Pinot Grigio from Italy!!!

One of my favorites is Kris. Me and my wife open one each fourth of July with our picnic in the park.

http://www.winebow.com/wine_det.asp?ID=520

Great stuff! Not bad price by the way.

Fellows
  • Reply 4 of 22
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Mainly what I'd want out of software is a ranking ability as well with easy searching and sorting by keywords, etc...

I'd be surprised if there was nothing going on either Windows or OSX.

You want a basic database program. Windows has Access. I think the mac still has FileMaker. File Maker would probably be better suited to what you're trying to do, though, since it has a more book-like default interface. In Access you'd have to go through the trouble of creating a report.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    My parents pick wine by the ones with the most aesthetically pleasing labels and supposedly they've been spot-on with good wines so far.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Throw out that wine and grab a bottle of Shiner Bock immediately.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by trick fall

Throw out that wine and grab a bottle of Shiner Bock immediately.

Come look in my fridge, city boy.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    currently I'm in deep love with italian wine. Piemonte is my favorite district. But hey, Tuscany is amazing as well.

In Valpolicella, Verona they make the Ripasso, a wine passed through the Amarone grapes from a former production. This makes for an excellent and distinctive taste that I highly recommend.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Wow, marriage really has changed groverat. He used to start threads about console gaming. Now it's wine.

I rarely buy any wine that costs more than about $15. Any more seems like a waste, given the number of really good and cheap wines.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Hey, once the Revolution comes out I'll be starting threads about consoles.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Quote:

Come look in my fridge, city boy.

Hmmm...I bet there's nothing but quiche and balsamic vinegar dressing in there.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I rarely buy any wine that costs more than about $15. Any more seems like a waste, given the number of really good and cheap wines.

That's because anything beyond that price, the price is dependent more on the self-image of the seller rather than the quality of the wine.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    So does anyone buy wine online? I like the ability to research each wine, which I can't really do even though I have an awesome liquor store closeby (Spec's warehouse).
  • Reply 14 of 22
    One of the things I really love about the riesling is that it is underrated and you can get such great value. It's almost like rooting for the underdog when, without much difficulty, I can find a great riesling from a 100+-year-old winery for ~$15 in a place like Houston.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    We're really into the Shiraz at our house. As I've said elsewhere, we swear by the Rosemount stuff. But lately, I've been finding these screwtop shirazes....

Bulletin (about $7 a bottle. No angels singing, but really nice)

The Wishing Tree (about $12 a bottle...interesting taste)
  • Reply 16 of 22
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

As I've said elsewhere, we swear by the Rosemount stuff.

Must. Resist. Slamming. midwinter.

Not too sure what you guys get 'up north', but Rosemount is not that flash a producer. The split label range is bottom end and the diamond label range is slightly above table wine, and the use slightly above is debatable.

'New World' producers are lucky that people are taking to the overblown fruit characteristics that they are known for.

[yellowtail] anyone?
  • Reply 17 of 22
    hey rat, why the need to buy online? there's no instant gratification. part of the fun is going in and being overwhelmed in the liquor store. personally, i like the smaller more personable places. they tend to have people that are more enthusiasts that truly appreciate the wine drinking experience. my suggestion is to pick a country and explore the wines from that region. reds, whites, it's all good. once you've had your fill, move on to another.

regrding online wine resources, there are some great magazines that offer online subscriptions as well as the traditional paperback variety that you might find of interest:

www.foodandwine.com

www.winespectator.com

www.winemag.com

all these mags are good and can be helpful, but limited in comparison to a knowledgeable wine shop person.

as far as a good shiraz goes, one of the more memorable that i've tried recently is the stump jump. very tasty.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Omega

Must. Resist. Slamming. midwinter.

Not too sure what you guys get 'up north', but Rosemount is not that flash a producer. The split label range is bottom end and the diamond label range is slightly above table wine, and the use slightly above is debatable.

'New World' producers are lucky that people are taking to the overblown fruit characteristics that they are known for.

[yellowtail] anyone?

Well, it's not that flash a producer up North, either. But it's $10 a bottle and I like it.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Finally a subject close to my liver. As a great conniseur of fine wines I can only recommend;

or

maybe

• Reply 20 of 22
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

Finally a subject close to my liver. As great conniseur of fine wines I can only recommend;

When I was in college, there was a frat that, every so often, had a wine and cheese party. The freshmen were supposed to bring dates and dress fancy, only to find out upon arrival that the fare was Mad Dog and American cheese.