windows the new classic?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
If apple can make classic work as a subset of the OSX can it be that difficult to have a Windows subsystem working in OSX ?.

Personally I think windows users would flock over to Apple if they could use windows in the same manner as classic enabled os9 to work.

In some ways Boot camp is a gimmic and a test bed as rebooting is generally not an option for most people.

It would be a huge selling point for Apple to offer windows without the viruses and spyware.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aussie John

If apple can make classic work as a subset of the OSX can it be that difficult to have a Windows subsystem working in OSX ?.

Personally I think windows users would flock over to Apple if they could use windows in the same manner as classic enabled os9 to work.

In some ways Boot camp is a gimmic and a test bed as rebooting is generally not an option for most people.

It would be a huge selling point for Apple to offer windows without the viruses and spyware.

Windows would still have the viruses and spyware but it would be nice if Apple could do something like that. What I don't understand is how gaming was possible under classic but doesn't seem to be under Windows virtualization.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marvin

Windows would still have the viruses and spyware but it would be nice if Apple could do something like that. What I don't understand is how gaming was possible under classic but doesn't seem to be under Windows virtualization.

Was 3D gaming possible under Classic?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Classic is very slow....and too slow for even OLD OLD 2D gaming.

I think Apple needs to either:

1) Running of windows apps at 100% within Mac OS X

2) Virtualization of windows at close to 100% speed.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

Classic is very slow....and too slow for even OLD OLD 2D gaming.

That is definately not true.

I personally think that running Windows API native in OSX would kill a lot of OSX software... Unfortunately. Just look at OS/2.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Yeah, I played Deus Ex in classic.

From wikipedia:

"The Mac community has been very vocal to Aspyr (the ones who ported it to Mac) and have very strong desires for a Mac OS X patch of the game, as it only works on Mac OS 9 or "Classic" environment currently. Newer Intel Macs are completely unable to run the game due to the phasing out of Classic OS support."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_ex

I think the original Unreal Tournament is the same.

It's not like it was slow either. I'd say it went about 90%+ speed of running under OS 9 booted. I'm sure the classic environment must be using the OS 9 OpenGL driver extensions so I don't understand why they can't do that with Windows virtualization.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marvin

I think the original Unreal Tournament is the same.

Fortunately, no. There is a beta patch for OSX out there. It is _slowly_ getting better, as the developer is working on it in his spare time.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    I think Parallels runs Windows at close to 100% speed within OS X. I mean for me, when I'm just running normal tasks on windows, i.e. internet, excel, word, e-mail, etc, I'd say it's running at about 95% speed. Some things just take a second longer to load than you'd like, but that's about it.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Yes. I tried once the original Unreal Tournament on a Powerbook from 2003, and it was quite playable under Classic.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by builttospill

I think Parallels runs Windows at close to 100% speed within OS X. I mean for me, when I'm just running normal tasks on windows, i.e. internet, excel, word, e-mail, etc, I'd say it's running at about 95% speed. Some things just take a second longer to load than you'd like, but that's about it.

Games (3D) are different. They have to talk directly to the hardware, not to a software virtual machine. Basically it would be as though you had no graphics card.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Yeah, I understand about the problems w/ 3D gaming. I think the company said they're planning on some typ of 3D support for a future release, but not necessarily for the GA. Hopefully they give free upgrades to user who purchase the original product.