Superdrive: dual layer/dual side

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Can the superdrive READ [i know it can only WRITE one side/one layer] dual layer or dual sided DVD's or BOTH?

thanks !

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    [quote]Originally posted by Badtz:

<strong>Can the superdrive READ [i know it can only WRITE one side/one layer] dual layer or dual sided DVD's or BOTH?

thanks !</strong><hr></blockquote>

Mine can! I assume you mean just a standard dual layer DVD like say a Motion picture??? The only difference between Superdrive and say just a std DVD is that Superdrive can burn DVD's therefore it does not have a problem with reading dual layer/double sided disks etc

[ 07-26-2002: Message edited by: trevorM ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 9
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Every DVD Drive can do that
  • Reply 3 of 9
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    every dvd drive can read dual layers and/or dual sided disks?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    The Superdrives limitations only lie within its ability to write to DVD media (i.e. laser, storage capacity, software etc.).

It can read most all DVD discs and can even read and write to DVDRW (though Apple doesn't "support" this function).

The Superdrive is basically Pioneer DVR 104 which is available comercially, firmware support is the key.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by Badtz:

<strong>every dvd drive can read dual layers and/or dual sided disks?</strong><hr></blockquote>

yes
  • Reply 6 of 9
    most DVD's are Dual Layered. Just look at the back for Info about the DVD
  • Reply 7 of 9
    sizzle chestsizzle chest Posts: 1,133member
    The player doesn't care whether the disk is two-sided.... you still have to flip it over to play the other side.

And as others said above, any DVD player will play dual-layer discs.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by sizzle chest:

<strong>The player doesn't care whether the disk is two-sided.... you still have to flip it over to play the other side.

And as others said above, any DVD player will play dual-layer discs.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think he was asking if the player could read BOTH sides without having to flip it over. It would be nice if it could, but that means either two lasers or a lot more space in order to flip it.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    thanks for all the info.!!