15" or 17" MBP??

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey I am in the market for a MBP. I am looking to buy one in the next two weeks. I do a lot of graphic design (photoshop, illustrator, flash, dreamweaver, cinema 4d) and I am also a DJ that uses final scratch. My question is to anyone that has a 17" PB now, do you find it too big? I need to be able to take my laptop basically everywhere, and my only concern is that the 17" is a little to big. I need to be able to take the laptop up in DJ booths, trains, and other places. I do need all the firewire and usb ports I can get, and the double-layer drive is a huge plus! I just don't know if the size is going to be a problem. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    If I were you I would buy a bigger bag. The 17in looks pretty damn good.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I'm a long-time 15" PowerBook/MacBook user, so you know I'm not a 17" fanboy, and I'd get the 17" if I were you. Right now, the 17" is $100 cheaper than the similarly-configured 15", plus you get the larger screen and the DL DVD burner. It's bigger, but it's not so much bigger that it's awkward. It doesn't really feel that much different in size compared to the 15".
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Yeah I was on the website about an hour ago, and I did realize that it was $100 cheaper, which I really don't understand, but I guess apple has their reasons. I'm still trying to decide 15" or 17" but with all the extra options that the 17" has, and the fact that it's $100 cheaper, you really can't go wrong.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If the 17" fits in the D.J. booth, I'd go for it
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

If the 17" fits in the D.J. booth, I'd go for it

See, that's what I'm trying to figure out. The 17" MBP is about 1" by 1" bigger then the 15". I don't think this would make a big difference, but at the same time, most booths are jam packed with stuff as it is. I think I'm going for the 17". 100 bucks cheaper, bigger screen, more USB ports, FW ports, DL drive, and longer battery life...I don't see how I could not go for this. It's cheaper!
  • Reply 6 of 22
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I think the 15" is better balanced for more people, but for your uses, a 17" is probably the way to go.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

I think the 15" is better balanced for more people, .

I agree with you. Funny thing is, though, that the 17in looks like a better value. Given the same specs the 17in is cheaper with, supposedly, 2hrs longer battery life. Now I'm not trying to be negative about the 15in MBP, but the 17in just looks very appealing IMO.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    Apple will adjust the pricing up (or down) when the next round of processor upgrades come out...
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

I agree with you. Funny thing is, though, that the 17in looks like a better value. Given the same specs the 17in is cheaper with, supposedly, 2hrs longer battery life. Now I'm not trying to be negative about the 15in MBP, but the 17in just looks very appealing IMO.

The 17" is definitely a better value if you compare it to the top-end 15", maybe the mid range 15", but it is still $1k more than I spent on my 15".
  • Reply 10 of 22
    As a fellow DJ, I would go with the 15 or even wait for the 13, I just sold my 15.4 inch Gateway that I used for SSL becuase it was too big. I really wanna get an apple but they are draggin there feet with the smaller models... Booth placement is bad enough as it is, don't make it harder on you by having a 17.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by scavanger

As a fellow DJ, I would go with the 15 or even wait for the 13, I just sold my 15.4 inch Gateway that I used for SSL becuase it was too big. I really wanna get an apple but they are draggin there feet with the smaller models... Booth placement is bad enough as it is, don't make it harder on you by having a 17.

If you can stand to wait until the smaller units are announced, that would be a good idea, it might only be a month. For work in dark areas, I would think that some model with a backlit keyboard might be something to strongly consider, whether there will be a smaller model with a backlit keyboard is up for speculation.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Yea, right now I can stand the wait so it's not a big deal for me. Backlight keyboard is so awesome especially when you need to search for tracks in the software, thats also another reason I want to switch to a Mac, I don't know of any PC's with that option.

If you need it now, I'd go with a 15, if you can wait I'd consider a 12/13 depending on what comes out with in the next few months.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I have a 17" PB, and (despite my best efforts) I've come to agree that it really is a desktop replacement machine.

The PB itself is heavy enough, and if you're going to be working away from home, you're going to need the power brick (because the battery life is appalling). You might need the power cord and a mouse as well. Then there's the AirPort Express if you need that and maybe the adaptors so that you can drive a VGA monitor of projector.

Most of the time, I get lazy and leave the machine at home. It's true that a laptop is useless if you always leave it at home.

It's worth pointing out, that the 15" MBP has a resolution of 1440 x900px, which is the same as my 17" PB. The 17" MBP has the same res. as the 20" ACD. This makes the 15" MBP the same as my 17" PB but a little more forgiving in the lugging stakes.

If I can make a suggestion, I'd get the basic 15" MBP, and buy a 20" ACD or if you can afford it a 23" ACD. This will give you a decent display to work with whilst you're at home, and a decent screen when you're out and about.

I'm seriously considering getting a 12" before they disappear.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I think the size difference between the 15" and the 17" is sometimes overestimated. That's 2" diagonal screen size, which translates into about an inch in width and length. And it's about a pound heavier.

People that would be unhappy with the size/weight of the 17" might also be unhappy with the size/weight of the 15". I can certainly understand not wanting to lug around the 17", but I don't want to lug my 15" around too much either. The 12" might be a different story.

This isn't much of a difference:

• Reply 15 of 22
    drnatdrnat Posts: 142member
    I used to us the 12" PB but found the screen too restrictive. I swapped to a 15" PB which I have been really happy with. However, as above, the 17" isn't that much bigger & I dont think will make me not carry it around when I would a 15" so may replace the PB with the MBP?

Bit disappointed that there isn't a 160GB HDD as a BTO option though...otherwise it looks great - extra real estate & battery life are really strong selling points for me.....
  • Reply 16 of 22
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Messiah

[B]The PB itself is heavy enough, and if you're going to be working away from home, you're going to need the power brick (because the battery life is appalling).

Might not be as big an issue with this machine. Five and a half hours of battery life. Size still an issue though.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by backtomac

[B]
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

The PB itself is heavy enough, and if you're going to be working away from home, you're going to need the power brick (because the battery life is appalling).

Might not be as big an issue with this machine. Five and a half hours of battery life. Size still an issue though.

Which machine has five and a half hours of battery life?
  • Reply 18 of 22
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    I just ordered it! And I'm really a subnotebook-user. How crazy is that!?!

My 2 year old 12" just swallowed a huge project, and I have to replace it. Since the 17" is the "best value for my money" currently offered from Apple I'll have to go with that.

And I don't think I will regret it. The 17" even has a brighter screen than the 15". I can't wait to impress my fellow consultants (all pc-users) at the current project I'm hired for.

And when I show them parallels...
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

Which machine has five and a half hours of battery life?

The new 17in MBP. Apple is claiming 5.5 hrs of battery life. Can't wait for a review to see if this is accurate.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

The new 17in MBP. Apple is claiming 5.5 hrs of battery life. Can't wait for a review to see if this is accurate.

I'll test it in 10 days...