Powerbook Screen Question

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I own a Powerbook 800Mhz model and I was wondering about Screen identation (from the Keyboard) I usually leave a little piece of paper over my keyboad to protect the screen but lately have not bothered as it really doesnt look professional when I am out with mycomputer...

My question is this: Does the keyboad just mark the screen or does it scratch or perhaps etch itself onto the screen after a while??

Thanking you for your help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    brianmacosbrianmacos Posts: 548member
    My iBook is my second Laptop and I have never had a problem with the screens getting damaged from the keyboard. On my iBook they have two rubber pads in each top coner which prevents it from sitting flush with the rest of the laptop I assume it is the same with the PBook laptops also.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    [quote]Originally posted by BrianMacOS:

<strong>My iBook is my second Laptop and I have never had a problem with the screens getting damaged from the keyboard. On my iBook they have two rubber pads in each top coner which prevents it from sitting flush with the rest of the laptop I assume it is the same with the PBook laptops also.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Didn't notice that! I dont think I'll need to worry about indentation!

Thanks
  • Reply 3 of 8
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    [quote]Originally posted by trevorM:

<strong>

Didn't notice that! I dont think I'll need to worry about indentation!

Thanks</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have never seen the PB up close but i hear it does leave marks on the screen because of how close fit it gets. Perhaps it was just a one time thing someone was complaining about
  • Reply 4 of 8
    The keyboard will leave marks on your screen eventually if left unprotected. The dirtier the keys the worse it gets. There are a lot of posts about this on the Apple discussion boards. There are protectors made of thin leather or foam that would look much more professional and protect it at the same time. Also people report that if you dont clean the marks off immediately they will stain the screen permanately.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    interesting. i've had my iBook for months now and it hasn't left a single mark on the LCD. i'll have to keep an eye out though.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    babarbabar Posts: 28member
    This problem is only present on the G3 and G4 Powerbooks. Never heard such a thing for the iBooks.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    My PBG4-500 screen actually got a small scratch (1/4" / 0.635cm) due to a small scratch on the wrist-rest. I bought a vinyl screen protector and haven't had a problem since. I would suggest getting a screen protector, as replacing the screen / dealing with the heartache of your brand new PBG4 getting a scratch on the screen just isn't worth it.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    sounds like a good idea. i don't want my brand new PB G4 to get scratched up.