Battlestar Galactica - The Thread

rokrok
Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
okay, either the search engine here BLOWS, or i am using it wrong. searches for "battlestar" and "galactica" yield ONE thread?!? i could have SWORN it's come up more than that. well, whatever. i can't find any old threads for it, so let's start a new one.

so, with the help of an iTMS gift certificate, i bought the Battlestar Galactica mini-series that i had heard so much about. i figured it was short, self-contained (mostly), and not my money, so what did i have to lose? answer: apparently WEEKS OF MY LIFE as i will be tearing through these episodes every spare moment until i am caught up.

i was afraid it would still have the holier-than-thou-hokey feeling of the original series (do a search on youtube, if you don't know what i am talking about), bu oh... my... frackin'... GOD. i don't know of another franchise that has hit its stride from the first ep. not even star trek could really ever get its bearings until after a season or two.

dark, sad, intense, frightening, overwhelming, a true CONCEPT of 3D space fighting. all in all, i am very impressed. the "instant gratification" gene kicked in last night and i bought season 1 from the iTMS, and as soon as i get a better television, its DVDs are going on my list to REALLY lose myself in the awesome dogfights alone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    it's definitely one of the best shows on tv right now. i can't wait until next season.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    I was thinking about buying it from the iTMS, but I was wondering how the quality would compare with DVDs. Any comments?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I haven't watched any of the show although I know I'll love it. I guess I'll buy or rent the DVDs and catch up that way.

Although I saw a snippet of the show in HD, so now I'm wondering if I should just wait until its out on Blu-Ray or whatnot. I guess I'll be waiting a while though, so I should just Netflix the show and get it over with!
  • Reply 4 of 15
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Season two didn't feel quite as sci-fi-ish as did season one, which I liked more. But it was still excellent. Maybe I'm crazy, but I kind of like the Cylons more than the humans.

My favorite episode was the second to last: the one with the Cylons on Caprica. I think that was the best hour of TV I've seen since last year's Champions' League Final.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    I was up late last night rendering some projects, and Sci-Fi decided to replay the 3-part miniseries. It's a tremendous miniseries, and anyone with an open mind should try to catch it or record it, since Sci-Fi is likely to play it again sometime soon.

For the record:

If you're willing to read stories about a kid in wizard school, you have no excuse to balk at science fiction. It's a great show, and easily the best sci-fi series for a long, long time.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    I have been very impressed every time I managae to catch an episode . . . . which means when I am visiting my Mother-In-Law.

Its best aspect is the human drama . . . sci-fi wise it could use some work . . . for instance, if we have technology at that level, I doubt that space warfare would look anything like that . . . . no way would there be a need for 'dogfights' . . . it would be strategy and long range, high speed missiles and large bombs etc at the very least . . . but that really is just the context for the larger story.

There are actually some decent TV shows on but they all seem to be on cable . . . which I can't imagine paying for: Deadwood, Battlestar Galactica, the Shield, that one by the writer for Seinfeld.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

There are actually some decent TV shows on but they all seem to be on cable . . . which I can't imagine paying for: Deadwood, Battlestar Galactica, the Shield, that one by the writer for Seinfeld.

Ha ha. I wouldn't pay for cable either, but I don't have much of a choice: it comes with the apartment I live in. The season one of BSG is on DVD, I think. You can try getting a free, one month Netflix membership and just milk it.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Yummie, she can blow me ......... up any day.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    BSG rocks and I am loving the reverse Doctor - 6 head games. October is too long to wait for S3. I too ordered the series and lost 5 days of my life watching my iPod while on a business trip every chance I got. It was worth every second I lost!!

Btw, the search feature has went down the tubes.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

BSG rocks and I am loving the reverse Doctor - 6 head games. October is too long to wait for S3. I too ordered the series and lost 5 days of my life watching my iPod while on a business trip every chance I got. It was worth every second I lost!!

Btw, the search feature has went down the tubes.

The only problem with the last season is that I've seen the original series, and I'm upset that Balthar's fate was hinted at. I hope the writers do something really clever with it.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    well, as soon as i am done with season one, i'm just gonna plunk down for season two and get fully caught up (PLEASE announce any spoilers ahead of time in this thread!). i really like the fact that they have re-imagined so much in the series, and it's relevant to today's time and audience (and at least no one is wearing a cape...whew!)

i really got addicted when i accidentally caught the second half of the episode where starbuck finds the cylon raider after crash-landing, and manages to fly her ass off that planet. it had a super-predictable ending, yet it still got me. and the lead up was well-paced, and starbuck's dialog to herself was exactly what any of us would have been saying to ourselves under similar circumstances. then we cancelled extended cable before i could catch any other episodes or re-runs of the mini-series. then it came on iTMS and piqued my interest again to start over. even gaius balthar has grown on me, which i didn't think possible after the mini-series.

sci-fi must love this, getting people to buy these episodes. this one series has gotten a lot o word of mouth, and i am sure some will pick up the dvd's after the fact for more features, better resolution, etc.

see what happens when you write a good tv show? build a better mousetrap, and all that...
  • Reply 12 of 15
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    If you have cable and get the Universal HD channel (UHD), they're playing the latest season in order, in HD on Sunday evenings at 8PM EST.

There are rumors that BSG's next season has been pushed out until Sep/Oct because NBC will be broadcasting it directly instead of through Sci-Fi (which Universal owns as well as NBC). Normally BSG season starts have been timed with the Stargate series starts. SG-1 and Atlantis both restart in July (hence the thoughts of NBC broadcast).

If BSG does move to NBC this Fall, I do see one positive, all the episodes will be broadcast in HD. The negative of course is production will probably start feeling pressure from NBC execs which is probably worse then pressure from Sci-Fi execs as far as creative license goes. Guess we'll just have to find out.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

The negative of course is production will probably start feeling pressure from NBC execs which is probably worse then pressure from Sci-Fi execs as far as creative license goes. Guess we'll just have to find out.

I don't think it will be too bad in this case since it can always just fall back to the Sci-Fi channel if it doesn't get enough audience. Since so much revenue is generated by DVD sales these days, there's more incentive for writers/producers to keep shows focused then there has been in the past.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

Yummie, she can blow me ......... up any day.

That's what I like to call classe with an 'e'.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    It won't happen, but I'd like to see the Galactica meet the USS Saratoga from Space: Above and Beyond. I'd like to see a new Newton too; that won't happen either.

V/R,

Aries 1B