Apple to update Mac OS X Tiger retail offerings

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple Computer this week is rolling out a couple of changes to its Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger retail offerings, AppleInsider has learned.

Earlier in the week, the company officially discontinued all current variants of its Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger retail software, which included version 10.4.3 of the operating system.

Apple is expected to replace Tiger and Tiger Family Pack retail boxes with a smaller box format, which the company pioneered alongside updates to its iLife and .Mac software packages in January.

The Mac maker is also expected to use change to update the retail version the Mac OS X operating system to Mac OS X 10.4.6 from Mac OS X 10.4.3.

Apple last updated Tiger retail packaging in November of 2005, when it began shipping the operating system in new boxes with a green sticker that read "10.4.3 Now Inside."

(Old and new Tiger retail packaging, from left to right)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    sekiosekio Posts: 150member
    I've never understood why software makers need such huge boxes anyway. So wasteful.

Remember the boxes software used to come in in the mid '90's? Those things were huge!
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sekio

I've never understood why software makers need such huge boxes anyway. So wasteful.

Remember the boxes software used to come in in the mid '90's? Those things were huge!

Well, that is partly because they had this very odd notion to include a manual with the box. Not anymore now-a-days, but then it made sense.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Eggleston

Well, that is partly because they had this very odd notion to include a manual with the box. Not anymore now-a-days, but then it made sense.

Even with manuals there's usually quite a bit of rattling space. I haven't bought a piece of software since Lotus 1-2-3 that didn't have a more air than manual in its box.

Still, exciting stuff. Smaller boxes.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    The Billion dollar question:

Will this one have an intel image????
  • Reply 5 of 26
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Will this one have an intel image????

Only if someone makes a mistake the way they did with the OS X 10.1 update that had the full version on it, and changing a few bytes let you install it.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Apple is expected to replace Tiger and Tiger Family Pack retail boxes with a smaller box format, which the company pioneered[/c]

Come on, that is so wrong it is embarasing...EA snd Mcaffe/norton and many other software vendors have been doing small boxes like this for over 3 years!

3 reasons

1: less material

2: less sq ft of storage/cargo capacity needed

3: retailers like Walmart love it, 1 software isal in stead of 2 -- more room for the xbox/ps2/nintendo displays, and relativly new displays like satalite radio

the author should either be ashamed or should really get out more.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Come on, that is so wrong it is embarasing...EA snd Mcaffe/norton and many other software vendors have been doing small boxes like this for over 3 years!

3 reasons

1: less material

2: less sq ft of storage/cargo capacity needed

3: retailers like Walmart love it, 1 software isal in stead of 2 -- more room for the xbox/ps2/nintendo displays, and relativly new displays like satalite radio

the author should either be ashamed or should really get out more.

Yea but these boxes are REALLY small....and it's an operating system.

It makes windows boxes (not the computers) now look like treasure chests.

this site was behaving strangly earlier
  • Reply 8 of 26
    a_greer:

There are the smaller sixe retail boxes, which a lot of PC software comes in (still rectangular front), and then there is Apple-small retail packaging, which is a box just bigger than a cd itself.

I think it would be cool if all of Apple's software and third Party Mac software moves to this new format wherever possible. Its a great way to distinguish mac from PC software, and when was the last time you actually needed a huge manual with your Software install disc. It also saves dramatically on shipping and storage costs.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    michaelbmichaelb Posts: 242member
    It's psychological - you feel you're getting something for your money with a big box.

Technically, there's no reason software can't be shipped in razor thin CD jewel cases, stacked flat against each other on the shelf.

But they just wouldn't stand out and many buyers would feel they were getting a $10 CD rather than a $129 operating system.

I'm as eco-friendly as the next guy, but I still miss the days when the iPod shipped in a genuine, in your face CUBE box, that folded out all bento-origami like, not the squashed excuse that passes for a package these days!
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by the_snitch

a_greer:

There are the smaller sixe retail boxes, which a lot of PC software comes in (still rectangular front), and then there is Apple-small retail packaging, which is a box just bigger than a cd itself.

I think it would be cool if all of Apple's software and third Party Mac software moves to this new format wherever possible. Its a great way to distinguish mac from PC software, and when was the last time you actually needed a huge manual with your Software install disc. It also saves dramatically on shipping and storage costs.

Here here!
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by michaelb

It's psychological - you feel you're getting something for your money with a big box.

Technically, there's no reason software can't be shipped in razor thin CD jewel cases, stacked flat against each other on the shelf.

But they just wouldn't stand out and many buyers would feel they were getting a $10 CD rather than a $129 operating system.

I agree! The new boxes are very cool though aswell. And the average customer is smarter than the bigger is thing nowadays. They couldn't have chosen a better size box than the New boxes, IMO. They're perfect!

What a company! They even care about the boxes, that's rare.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

What a company! They even care about the boxes, that's rare.

It's important to note that Apple never cared about the size of software packaging until they started their own stores, and then confronted the issue of shelf space themselves.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

Here here!

For the last, umpteen, time: it's hear, hear and not 'here here'.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Excuse me, I made a mistake. Aren't you the rude one!

I forgot it was the only exception to the rule!
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:

There there.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

As much as we may want it to be the last time, it's not going to be.

Per say

Your a looser

Wallah (or "viola")

for all intensive purposes

The Way We Where

Isreal

moran

seperate

it's

etc. etc. ad nauseam.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Per say

Your a looser

Wallah (or "viola")

The Way We Where

Isreal

moran

seperate

it's

etc. etc. ad nauseam.

U mabey could of dun it.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Back to the subject at hand... Apple's probably only doing this to save $$$, pure and simple. Other reasons are just icing on the cake.

If it helps them use the extra $$$ to design the ultimate Origami/UMPC-type thingie, I'm all for it.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Per say

Your a looser

Wallah (or "viola")

The Way We Where

Isreal

moran

seperate

it's

etc. etc. ad nauseam.

Gud un
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by bikertwin

Back to the subject at hand... Apple's probably only doing this to save $$$, pure and simple. Other reasons are just icing on the cake.

If it helps them use the extra $$$ to design the ultimate Origami/UMPC-type thingie, I'm all for it.

me Tarzan no agree