my mighty mouse broke!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
can you believe that? ive had this mouse since i recently bought my imac core duo the day they were available. its the strangest thing. it will scroll in every direction but down. everything else seems to work fine. when i called our local apple store the tech agent told me that someone else with the same problem called today except the mouse wouldn't scroll up...ive never heard of this problem before. i no it isnt software related for sure because i tested it in another mac so theyre sending me a new one. if someone had a problem with theirs, let me know. im wondering if this is or isnt common.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jetting

can you believe that? ive had this mouse since i recently bought my imac core duo the day they were available. its the strangest thing. it will scroll in every direction but down. everything else seems to work fine. when i called our local apple store the tech agent told me that someone else with the same problem called today except the mouse wouldn't scroll up...ive never heard of this problem before. i no it isnt software related for sure because i tested it in another mac so theyre sending me a new one. if someone had a problem with theirs, let me know. im wondering if this is or isnt common.

Yes it's common, and yes it's a pain in the ass. It's in MO probably the main flaw with the mouse, after a while when it gets dirty enough this happens.

Here's what I do:

1. unplug

2. get a lint free cloth (eye-glasses cloth)

3. hold the mighty mouse upside down

4. press the pre-damped cloth on the scroll-ball fairly hard and rub it towards yourself for about 15-20 seconds.

This should fix it for another few weeks.

note: a damp cloth is better than a wet one
  • Reply 2 of 7
    jettingjetting Posts: 31member
    thanks. ill have to try that if that happens to my new mouse. i dont feel like sending them a working mouse back haha.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I had it happen a lot before I switched to the logitech s530 (great keyboard/mouse combo if interested). It happened three times and I would just scroll like a mad man in a all directions for a minute and it would start to work again.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

press the pre-damped cloth on the scroll-ball fairly hard and rub it towards yourself for about 15-20 seconds.

just make sure you understand the context of this quote.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

just make sure you understand the context of this quote.

I took a ride around the park on my girlfriend's ass the other day
  • Reply 6 of 7
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I think its funny that we went optical laser mice and then we went back and added a physical roller ball.

I'd use a wireless mighty mouse if one existed though. Gotta love that multi-direction scrolling. W00t!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I think its funny that we went optical laser mice and then we went back and added a physical roller ball.

I'd use a wireless mighty mouse if one existed though. Gotta love that multi-direction scrolling. W00t!

Thinking the same thing last night myself, as I tried my hardest to get this freakin' ball a movin'

{edited by audiopollution: language}