from the ADC News:

[quote] Portables Team Requests Feedback

Apple's Portables development team would like to know

how they're doing with the PowerBook and iBook. From your

perspective as users and developers, please comment on current

PowerBook and/or iBook product features and functionalities that

are compelling to PC users looking to switch. Please categorize

your comments as hardware, software, and Mac OS, and email to

[email protected] before August 10, 2002.

Thanks for helping to make PowerBook and iBook products even more

amazing! (Note: Your comments will become the sole property of Apple

Computer and may be used by Apple or given to others without

compensation to you.) <hr></blockquote>

[ 07-27-2002: Message edited by: Defiant ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    jet powersjet powers Posts: 288member
    The software crippling of iBooks video-out is vexing.

In the past few weeks, I have seen two cases of people beating this limitation, at least in part.

The first involved a fellow who transposed his Powerbook video controller into his iBook, which enable monitor spanning.

The second involved a guy who hooked his iBook up to a CRT monitor and through trickery (forcing the iBook awake) was able to drive the external monitor to higher resolutions.

To me, this is enough evidence that the iBook's inability to perform these functions lies with the OS, and not the RADEON mobility 16 MB.

In terms of PC users and the "Switch", this is probably one area they would expect feature parity with Wintel laptops, and they may be puzzles why they can't have it.

Please reconsider selling crippled hardware to the users.

Thanks.

-----------

This is what I sent 'em.

ting5
  • Reply 2 of 18
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    good
  • Reply 3 of 18
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Also operation with lid closed (no monitor connected)... many PCs have the feature, does the PowerBook have it?

Also, better laptop speakers... the current speakers suck so much compared to my friend's toshiba laptop's speakers, it is so messed up (and dont tell me laptops aren't supposed to have good sound, because the toshiba was pretty impressive for a portable)...

And how's about some cover for the ibook's ports... maybe iPod style covers?
  • Reply 4 of 18
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    [quote]Originally posted by chych:

<strong>Also operation with lid closed (no monitor connected)... many PCs have the feature, does the PowerBook have it?

Also, better laptop speakers... the current speakers suck so much compared to my friend's toshiba laptop's speakers, it is so messed up (and dont tell me laptops aren't supposed to have good sound, because the toshiba was pretty impressive for a portable)...

And how's about some cover for the ibook's ports... maybe iPod style covers?</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is more of a "send this in an email to that apple email address taht was posted" than a "post it here and maybe apple might see it sometime hopefully"
  • Reply 5 of 18
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    more speed, lower prices.

cheaper airport and bluetooth (both on one card) support for 802.11a and 802.11g

faster firewire

USB2.0

iBook

g4 iBooks

32MB VRAM iBook

Higher external res on iBook. Closed book operation with DVI out. Think extended mirror if not outright spanning.

bigger standard HDD's

12.1 size case with a 13.3" screen.

1152x864

LONGER BATTERY LIFE

PowerBook

64MB VRAM Powerbook.

DDR RAM,

bigger standard HDD all 5400rpm

higher res (option)

SUPERDRIVE option

Faster Combo 12X min, I know, I know, I don't care, find one.

NO F-ING SLOT LOAD!!! A proper side ejecting tray, like the iBook.

LONGER BATTERY LIFE, li-poly if you have to.

Oh, and don't be so friggin tight with the software bundle include an Office App of some kind, AppleWorks for now, ad hopefully Apple Office Pro in the not too distant future.

back to old price points 2199..., etc etc
  • Reply 6 of 18
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    sincerely, and then gradually more frivolous
    • stop crippling function to differentiate models, ditto.

• got to fix the case finish issues...

iBooks are scratch magnets, finish mars early/easily/often

many Ti owners have suffered chipped paint (perhaps fixed) and dented lids (too thin is not good for screen strength or airport)

• slot loading superdrives... vaccuums eat odd discs

• gilligan-tech power supply (solar or baygen windup)

wearable options

• iArmour

either go with the sales point of polycarbonate casings being the same materials in bulletproofing

i'm still waiting for "9mm victim's life saved by valiant i/TiBook" ad campaign...

with voice recognition and iShades to allow closed operation, think of all the outdoorsy stuff you could do. iPacks for the antarctic expedition... heat buildup from closed operation is bonus

if you're not big on bulletproofing, how about we go with holy high tech, cupertino crusaders!

• iBatbelt

integrate fiber cabling into belt weave (already web belt -pun-), modularize mb to cell phone size, graphics card modules, iShades/projector/dvi outs, iPod as hdd, virtual inkwell glovetip or tactex sensefabric, airport/bluetooth/enet, fw/enet/usb/av(i/o), and in addition to multiple batteries, your motion recharges it dynamically like some watches

then late one night, the infinite loop pranksters can shine the apple logo on the clouds and have an army of white breasted or black belted defenders to fend off the clones

[ 07-28-2002: Message edited by: curiousuburb ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 18
    For the ibook: Lower prices is a given but I would like to see DVD standard on the entry model. Its annoying that I don't at least have the option to add a DVD drive without buying the more expensive combo model. My desktop burns CD's so I would almost never use the burner in an ibook but the DVD player would used more often. Sound in would also be excellent especially for people who like to import sounds for imovie and stuff.

My 2 cents
  • Reply 8 of 18
    [quote]Originally posted by The Vapour:

<strong>For the ibook: Lower prices is a given but I would like to see DVD standard on the entry model. Its annoying that I don't at least have the option to add a DVD drive without buying the more expensive combo model. My desktop burns CD's so I would almost never use the burner in an ibook but the DVD player would used more often. Sound in would also be excellent especially for people who like to import sounds for imovie and stuff.

My 2 cents</strong><hr></blockquote>

did you sent 'em that ?

[quote] This is more of a "send this in an email to that apple email address that was posted" than a "post it here and maybe apple might see it sometime hopefully"

<hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 9 of 18
    patchoulipatchouli Posts: 402member
    For the same price range:

Faster Processors (well, how could you leave that out?!)

DDR Ram (and stop with the 640MB limit on the iBook)

Better video cards (at 32MB for the iBook and 64MB for the TiBook)

Two button track pads (don't worry, we won't get confused)

Super drive (but make it an option only, since it cripples the CDRW speed)

Edge Motion/Scrolling capabilities within the track pad (couldn't live without this on my PC)

QUIET 5400rpm standard HDs for the TiBook, option on the iBook (9.5mm ones are now available)

Better AirPort reception on the TiBook (does the base station have to cost $300?)

Longer Battery life with real life usage (or stop claiming 5 hours - if it conks out shortly after a DVD movie is played)

Better warranty all around.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by Patchouli:

<strong>Two button track pads (don't worry, we won't get confused)</strong><hr></blockquote>

what if there was one button, but it could be hacked via SOFTWARE to reconize to clicks... i mean im looking @ an iBook right now.. and the left sde of the button can be clicked independantly of the right side.... why cant PEOPLE WHO WANT THE FEATURE CHOOSE to have a 2nd button via software?.... how hard would that be to add?

as a bonus... newbies could still just use 1 button and apple could keep their UI 1 button standard... but those who want it have the option...
  • Reply 11 of 18
    let's not make a wishlist...
  • Reply 12 of 18
    I guess it's quite good to also post your ideas on portable improvement here! That way you have more insight on what might be a good hardware addition or feature for future portables.

Please skip the more MHz/bigger HDs suggestions. Apple know that users always want more speed. It's rediculous to post this over and over. Think of REAL features like PortCover for the iBook!

I talked to the Tech senior of Apple Germany last week and he was asking ppl about REAL new features for upcoming Macs. Resellers usually don't have ideas so he was looking for customers/users to get ideas from them.

My suggestions to Apple:

- Built in Bluetooth across the line! (Push iSync, iCal and (i)Adressbook for your iPhone an iPalm)

- PortCover for the iBook (not my idea, but a great one, I'll submit that to Apple as well!)

- Better PowerManagement. Maybe a reduced-speed mode wto preserver battery life.

- Use of LiPolymer batteries for improved mobile time.

- Change the 14" iBook to a widescreen aspect with higher Res (former TiBook Res 1152x768) (personal addition: I find the 14" iBook butt-ugly, as it lacks the perfect proportions of the 12" model)

- Improved Trackpad on the TiBook. I know many ppl accidentally tipping with their thumb because the click-button is too sleek.

- SuperDrive for the Titanium!

- Line in/Out across the line

- Use of iPod's Earbuds and REMOTE (with iTunes) maybe mid front port, so the wires don't get in your way while typing.

- 2 FW and 2 USB ports on all mobiles!

- If not monitor spanning on the iBook, then at least higher resolutions on the external display when not in mirror mode.

More ideas to come....
  • Reply 13 of 18
    stewstew Posts: 6member
    I just pressed "send" on this one:

Hi!

I own a late 2001 dual USB iBook, 600/DVD. I am mostly happy with that computer except for the following points where I see room for improvements:

Hardware:

The iBooks needs a line input jack. As it comes with a built-in microphone, the sound chip must have an integrated A/D converter. It is a matter of a few cents to add a simple line-in jack to the iBook. This would allow people to record from e.g. Minidisc or tapes, which would fit right into your "digital hub" strategy (making CDs from your old vinyls or tapes).

The CD tray is very wobbly. Future models should feature a more stable construction.

MacOS:

(I am putting this item here as it is a driver issue and therefore a part of the OS rather than the hardware.)

Don't cripple the iBook's video chip in software! Both the RageM3 and Radeon chips used in the iBooks are perfectly capable of video spanning and resolutions higher than 1024x768. By allowing these modes to be used in MacOS X would vastly enhance the value of the iBooks and make it even more attractive to potential customers. Adding this functionality to OS X only and not OS 9 would help you make the upgrade more attractive for existing users.

Not allowing these modes in iBooks is a) making customers angry and b) making quite a few people buy a x86 notebook instead, as they can't afford the PBG4.

Connected to this wish is the so-called clamshell mode, i.e. using your iBook with external screen, mouse and keyboard with the lid closed. The first series of dual USB iBooks could do that in OS 9.1, but all later iBook and MacOS versions did not allow this any more, with the excuse of heat problems. This sound ricidulous to me, as I never heard of anyone having heat problems when using that mode on a first series 9.1 iBook and since the iBook does have a fan that is hardly necessary in open operation, it sure would be sufficient to keep the temperature below critical levels when closed.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    [quote]Originally posted by monsterjaeger:

<strong>I guess it's quite good to also post your ideas on portable improvement here! That way you have more insight on what might be a good hardware addition or feature for future portables.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I didn't said that you shouldn't post in here. But i wanted to hear about

[quote]PowerBook and/or iBook product features and functionalities that

are compelling to PC users looking to switch<hr></blockquote>

not a wishlist :

[quote] iBook

g4 iBooks

32MB VRAM iBook

Higher external res on iBook. Closed book operation with DVI out. Think extended mirror if not outright spanning.

bigger standard HDD's

12.1 size case with a 13.3" screen.

1152x864

LONGER BATTERY LIFE

<hr></blockquote>

alright ?
  • Reply 15 of 18
    that one by stew's alright
  • Reply 16 of 18
    gspottergspotter Posts: 342member
    I just sent them this:

I didn't have a chance to use a PowerBook G4, so my comments are based on the comparison of my IBM Thinkpad 600X I'm using at work, an iBook 500 we use for testing and my private Powerbook G3 Firwire (Pismo) I use at home:

1. I don't like the keyboard of the Macs (compared to the Thinkpad):

1.1 The keyboards feel too 'crammed'. I can easily switch between the Apple Extended Keyboard II that I use on my other Mac and the Thinkpad without a loss in typing speed. When I switch to the Mac notebooks I generate much more typos and therefore have to type slower.

1.2 I use the page up / down keys frequently. On the Thinkpad, there are separate keys, on my Powerbook I have to press the function key. This is inconvenient, as I sometimes use my other hand to do other stuff (writing, drinking etc.)

1.3 I'd prefer full blown cursor keys.

1.4 I'd love to have a delete key.

1.5 I never use the enter key. I'd prefer a second command key.

==&gt; Get a Thinkpad and compare the keyboards yourself! When it comes to usability, the Thinpad keyboard is lightyears ahead of the mac keyboards, IMHO.

2. I prefer the "rubber stick" to a trackpad. (I tend to move the cursor unvoluntarily with my hands while typing). But both methods are only a last resort to me. Normally, I prefer a mouse.

3. 2 Buttons (I hate control-clicks, see 1.2)

And now for something completely different:

Some years ago, I saw some pictures of an Apple design prototype: A notebook where the Screen could be separated from the rest of the computer and used in portrait mode. This separation could have another benefit: Generally, I don't like all-in-one computers like notebooks, because nowadays the (rather expensive) screen might be still good while the hardware is already outdated. By separating the two components, an upgrade program could be offered.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    I'm the owner of both a 500Mhz iBook (66 bus) and an 800Mhz TiBook.

Some ideas on making them better (as I use PC's all the time as well)

Hardware:

1. iridescent paint on the letters on the keyboard, so that the extra light from the LCD will light up the letters when it's dark. No added battery drain while still having the benefit of being able to see all of they keys in the dark or at night.

2. have the iPod remote work with the iBook and TiBook in iTunes just like on the iPod. Also have the computer run while the lid is closed. Then people who have their laptops with them can use iTunes just like iPod users.

3. Keep an iBook model on the low price end. At this point, I have a lot of friends who are interested in trying out OSX, but the iBook is about the only reasonable machine as far as they're concerned with price/performance. Keep the prices on the iBooks low, perhaps even have one model a bit cheaper. Something sub $1,000 would make it a lot easier for people to convince themselves they should buy. (have to remember, as far as they're concerned, switching to an iBook is a pain, and so it has to offer better price/performance to be an option, equal just won't cut it.)

4. Higher external res. on the iBook, and faster refresh rates. I can't stand looking at a CRT that refreshes lower than 85Hz anymore. It makes the external VGA out on my iBook worthless.

other than that, i'm sure they know about speed and HD space.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    I'm not posting this to apple cause i don't currently own a notebook but, what i would like to see on an apple laptop is the ability to flip the keyboard around and use it as a tablet pc, with the ability to write on it. If they added that feature, i would go to apple.com right now and i would buy one.