When will OS X Server go Universal?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    cesarcesar Posts: 102member
    I think the macos x server will go universal when apple releases the intel-based Powermac or intel-based xserve. If you noticed, shake is going universal until its next release (when the powermacs are released)

have fun
  • Reply 22 of 27
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cesar

I think the macos x server will go universal when apple releases the intel-based Powermac or intel-based xserve. If you noticed, shake is going universal until its next release (when the powermacs are released)

have fun

Well, I thought that since the non-server version is universal maybe the server version was too, eventhough the system requirements listed on Apple's website don't mention Intel hardware.

I was thinking about getting a mini for testing purposes.

It seems, the first server version to go universal will be Lepard-based, skipping Tiger.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    How about when leopard is released?

Perhaps with that funky virtualization flava!

8)
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Quote:

Quote:

While on the topic of Xserves, i'm considering getting an Xserve as the main hub for my home computing needs (three Macs + 1 MS Windows machine). Would i be fine with just a cluster node, or is it impossible to run just a cluster node without a "head node"?

Originally posted by fahlman

Explain "main hub". With you be hosting a dns server? website?, email?, vpn?, network user accounts, open directory?

Thanks for your reply.

As said, currently I have several computers at home (with another one coming shortly). I want to centralize all documents, music and movies on a single server. In addition, i want proper network user accounts with access control lists. Finally, i may end up hosting my own (unimportant) web site myself and run a Quicktime Streaming server. IMAP e-mail may be an option later on as well. Considering i have four machines, i was thinking about OS X Server, 10 client edition. Another option may be to put it all on a Mac Mini? What would be the pros and cons?

Thanks again
  • Reply 25 of 27
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    If Leopard doesn't run on my VCR I'm switching to Windows.

THAT'S RIGHT, I ALREADY KNEW YOUR DIMWITTED PIECE-OF-SHIT RESPONSE. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE. YOU WERE GOING TO SAY "LOL YOUR ALREDY BUYING A PC RITE" YEAH, I'M WAY THE FUCK AHEAD OF YOU
  • Reply 26 of 27
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

If Leopard doesn't run on my VCR I'm switching to Windows.

THAT'S RIGHT, I ALREADY KNEW YOUR DIMWITTED PIECE-OF-SHIT RESPONSE. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE. YOU WERE GOING TO SAY "LOL YOUR ALREDY BUYING A PC RITE" YEAH, I'M WAY THE FUCK AHEAD OF YOU

Shit...you got me.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Shit...you got me.