Verizon is da eval!!1

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I mentioned previously that our town has FIOS available. Verizon recently called and pretty much offered the kitchen sink in order to get my business. I'm sorry I did this because now I will be unable to leave my house. I'll become one of those terrible people they take out on a forklift after cutting open the side of the house.

Verizon offered 15 mbps download/ 2 mbps upload for $30 a month. In addition they we also got FIOS television which is insane in its capabilities. I've had satellite, my friends had digital cable and this blows them all away. They have literally over a thousand free shows available just in their ON DEMAND section where you can watch them commercial-free, anytime you want. I don't really like television but you take most of the interesting channels (for me at least like Discovery, DIY, etc.) and make dozens of shows available on demand anytime and things could get scary. Couple it with a DVR and I'm sorry, the forklift will soon be idling.

Run while you can, and don't say you weren't warned.

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I'm sure I'm not alone when I say: "See you in Hell, you lucky bastard!"

I'm still cranking out $60 for 4.4Mbit/300somethingK

EDIT: Needed angry smiley
  • Reply 2 of 9
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    I'm actually planning on moving out of NYC to Long Island in a couple of months and I think Verizon is testing this out a couple of towns over from where I'm looking. I really hope they expand the service soon! The cable companies need competition. I've had issues with my cable internet for six months and Time Warner hasn't been able to fix it. I actually think the problem is that they've oversold their bandwith.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    If FIOS comes to town I'll be the first kid on the block to beg his parents to get it (which shouldn't be too hard, since they'll be saving $25 a month)
  • Reply 4 of 9
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Lucky bastard! While I have FiOS (5/2), Verizon doesn't yet offer the television service here in Ft. Wayne. And the word is it'll be 2007 before it's available. I also pay $29.95 for my 5/2. I've heard that people who have 5/2 originally without the television service but add it later automatically get bumped to the 15/2 service. Does anyone know if this is true?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    How is the FIOS ping and consistency of speed? Is it closer to DSL or cable in terms of those two attributes?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    I get 5 Mbps down all the time, but don't approach 2 Mbps up ever. It's usually a consistant 1.8 Mbps.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

How is the FIOS ping and consistency of speed? Is it closer to DSL or cable in terms of those two attributes?

It is very much like DSL because the bandwidth is not shared in any fashion.

Oh and this just in that my wife discovered. This could be old hat to others but slacks like me haven't learned about it yet. Our pay channels put the movies they are showing for the month available on demand. So instead of having to start watching it at their time, I can watch it anytime. HBO, Cinemax, all on demand. Pretty cool.

Nick
  • Reply 8 of 9
    That's what I assumed, but the negative thing with DSL is latency, which is why I chose cable, to avoid as much of online multiplayer lag as possible.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

That's what I assumed, but the negative thing with DSL is latency, which is why I chose cable, to avoid as much of online multiplayer lag as possible.

Your latency shouldn't be any worse with equivalent cable and DSL connections.

In fact, there are many reasons for cable latency to be worse on average...

-being on a crowded node

-having a kinked cable (crushes the dielectric, messes with shielding)

-having multiple splits to other TVs and cable devices (lowers SnR)

The one thing about DSL is that it quite often gives you less data rate for the buck, so poor latency can be experienced when people are doing multiple uploads/downloads on your line.