NFL Draft - this Saturday

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
So who are your teams and what are you hoping for?

I'm a Dallas Cowboys fan first and foremost.

We need a big linebacker to play strongside in the 3-4.

We need a fast safety to complement Roy Williams.

We need depth on the offensive line, guard or tackle.

Will anyone else be waking up early to make sure they catch all of it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    I won't be waking up early, but I will check to see what the Jets do with the 4th pick. I'm not really sure which way they should go, but I think I'd rather see them draft Ferguson than any of the top qb's.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

I'm sorry!

I won't be getting up early either, but will tune in to see if the Eagles can draft either an every down RB or a stud WR that doesn't put himself before the team.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Well, we got D'Brickashaw. I'm happy. Any reactions on your teams pick? (Texans fans need not apply, we know you're pissed.)
  • Reply 4 of 13
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    As a Jet fan I'm happy. They really needed to rebuild the offensive line which it looks like they've done.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i'm a bucs fan, and i know people are reacting with a ho-hum to their picks, but they have DESPERATELY needed a dominating offensive line, and while their line was getting better and established, it was terribly thin. one injury basically caused musical chairs. get that line solid, and they've now got receivers that can be scary-good (clayton and galloway, though joey's gotta start slowing down one of these years), and a qb and rb (simms and williams) which, with a year of work under their belt, will undoubtedly be better.

the big question for the bucs is "is anyone really confident in any of their backup qb's?" i didn't catch the second day, but they do need to start considering derrick brook's retirement in the next couple of years. they held onto sapp and lynch one year too long each, and i don't want to see them make the same mistake. but i don't want to see derrick retire as anything BUT a buc. he's too much of a class act. same might be said of lynch, but i got the impression towards his end in tampa that he relied on the "hit" instead of tackling, which got him in hot-water penalty-wise.

new orleans and arizona may have incredible years, from an offensive standpoint. leinart may have gotten more money last year, but he'd be forced to die a slow death on a 49ers team that is a long way from contending. instead, he'll have james, boldin and fitzgerald around him, which will make leinart look great (plus dennis green calling the plays).

i was skeptical of brees because in new orleans because i think brees is good, and became great with ladanian getting the focus. mcallister is just not a great back, no matter what people want to believe. he's good, solid, not great. not game-altering. bush IS game-altering. depends on whether he can do anything the first year, though. plenty of defenses will want to put the rookie through his paces.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    i'm happy with what the cowboys did with the exception not really addressing the safety issue until late. carpenter at outside linebacker will be a monster though.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

So who are your teams and what are you hoping for?

We need a big linebacker to play strongside in the 3-4.

We need a fast safety to complement Roy Williams.

We need depth on the offensive line, guard or tackle.

Will anyone else be waking up early to make sure they catch all of it?

Wake up early? It was at 11 our time groverat. the middle of the day!
  • Reply 8 of 13
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I'm happy with picking up Watkins in the 5th. I only would've been unhappy if we hadn't gotten a safety of some kind at all.

Safeties are way overrated.

I really don't like getting safeties so early.

Huff was a reach at #7 (should've been in the #10-#15 range). Unless he can play corner well, then he's right on target.

Whitner was a HUGE reach at #8 (#20-#30 range).

Parcells and Jones were perfectly clear that they weren't getting a safety on the first day. I'm totally fine with any draft decision Parcells makes. If this was Jones and a puppet like Campo I might get edgy, but in Tuna I trust.

Carpenter and Fasano will make an immediate impact.

Carpenter is so important because he makes our 3-4 legitimate. We now have an honest-to-god 3-4 defense, not just 4-3 personnell pretending they're a 3-4. It's really nice to have a guy like Carpenter holding it down opposite Ware. He's big, he's fast and he reads plays extremely well.

The whole point of the 3-4 defense is to confuse the offense as to where a blitz might be coming from, and with Ware on one side and Singleton on the other you knew that Ware was the threat. Now with Ware on one side and Carpenter on the other you can't make that prediction so easily, which makes us much more dangerous.

And if Watkins is a better centerfielder than Keith Davis (hard to be worse, really) then that just helps Roy Williams be the assassin he's supposed to be.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    i don't see watkins getting much play time this year except special teams. he's at least a year out, maybe more. but you are right, it won't matter so as long as the front 7 can maintain pressure on the quarterback.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    hxc04hxc04 Posts: 145member
    The Browns need to draft a whole new team...another year
  • Reply 11 of 13
    I think the new front office for the Browns is worth being optimistic about. I like what they did with the draft this year. Adding McGinest in the off-season and Wimbley in the draft added some dangerous edge rushers. (I was actually a little upset that Wimbley didn't fall to the Cowboys, but Carpenter is right on his heels as far as what I wanted for that OLB spot.)

I was shocked they didn't get Ngata when he fell to them at #12 because they needed a big body in the middle to back up the aging Ted Washington. But they filled other needs and got an absolute steal late in the draft with Babatunde Oshinowo.

I don't like Charlie Frye nearly as much as a lot of Browns fans, but he could end up being solid.

I like the Travis Wilson pick, he was always one of the most productive of OU's receivers. I hated to face him and I'm glad to see him gone.

Only one offensive lineman in the draft, which I thought was odd.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    hxc04hxc04 Posts: 145member
    Quote:

I think the new front office for the Browns is worth being optimistic about. I like what they did with the draft this year. Adding McGinest in the off-season and Wimbley in the draft added some dangerous edge rushers. (I was actually a little upset that Wimbley didn't fall to the Cowboys, but Carpenter is right on his heels as far as what I wanted for that OLB spot.)

I was shocked they didn't get Ngata when he fell to them at #12 because they needed a big body in the middle to back up the aging Ted Washington. But they filled other needs and got an absolute steal late in the draft with Babatunde Oshinowo.

I don't like Charlie Frye nearly as much as a lot of Browns fans, but he could end up being solid.

I like the Travis Wilson pick, he was always one of the most productive of OU's receivers. I hated to face him and I'm glad to see him gone.

Only one offensive lineman in the draft, which I thought was odd.

Interesting you should mention Frye. He is like LeBron to to the Browns. He played at U. of Akron which is like 20 minutes south of Cleveland and is the hometown hero. People are more behind him that any QB the Browns have had in a loooong itme.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Houston could've had the same type of deal with Vince Young, but the Texans are a joke of an organization.