Microsoft may delay Windows Vista (again), firm says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 89
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

I'm hoping, for the author's sake, that it was a joke.

So, you actually believe the osViews story? I'm hoping for your sake, that it was a joke.
  • Reply 22 of 89
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    It's a horrible joke, that was never funny, and shouldn't be getting this much lip service.
  • Reply 23 of 89
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Are we going to see AI stories about new Dellienware products too? I realize that Microsoft's products are what Apple competes against, but didn't realize that it was on-topic for front page stories. Meanwhile, I'll go to the Komatsu rumor sites to read about the upcomming Hyundai heavy equipment...
  • Reply 24 of 89
    spindlerspindler Posts: 713member
    If they had Avie Tevanian running things, rather than Bill Gates as "Chief Software Architect" they'ed be able to ship a product.

This is one thing Steve Jobs doesn't get enough credit for. Not only does he have great ideas, he is also a superb manager who hires the right people and gets things done. I bet if Steve Jobs took over the American car companies, he could make them successful, although it would be brutal along the way. I doubt Bill Gates could be a successful CEO at most companies.
  • Reply 25 of 89
    Well the sad thing is how Apple is secretly working on Leopard so that we only have vague hints at the features yet its possible it will be out in 6 months. Meanwhile we know everything about Vista and how mcuh of it falls short of original expectations. Vista is already in beta form yet it still won't ship until another year...

The question is why does it take Microsoft 2 years to beta test their fricking OS? The only answer I can think of being a CSSE major myself is that they spaghetti code everything and code things just to make them work rather then considering intelligent design, something teachers stress in college.

I'm guessing that come testing time people find so many bugs in their crappy code that they have to spend years just rewriting so much of it because they didn't do it right the first time. Somewhat sad but apparently Apple can test an OS release in a few months and not have to worry about massive security holes and bugs that will prevent it from shipping on time.
  • Reply 26 of 89
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ender at Eros

So, you actually believe the osViews story? I'm hoping for your sake, that it was a joke.

Huh? I was referring to the OSViews story. I hope, for the sake of the author of that story, that he/she was joking. Because if they weren't, they are seriously f**ked in the head.
  • Reply 27 of 89
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drakethegreat

The question is why does it take Microsoft 2 years to beta test their fricking OS? The only answer I can think of being a CSSE major myself is that they spaghetti code everything and code things just to make them work rather then considering intelligent design, something teachers stress in college.

I'm guessing that come testing time people find so many bugs in their crappy code that they have to spend years just rewriting so much of it because they didn't do it right the first time. Somewhat sad but apparently Apple can test an OS release in a few months and not have to worry about massive security holes and bugs that will prevent it from shipping on time.

I don't know if you noticed, but both 10.3 and 10.4 shipped with significant bugs upon launch. Don't get too carried away singing the praises of Apple. They could do a lot better when it comes to bugs and security.
  • Reply 28 of 89
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drakethegreat

... The question is why does it take Microsoft 2 years to beta test their fricking OS? The only answer I can think of being a CSSE major myself is that they spaghetti code everything ...

Job's strategy has always been to hand pick people for each position in his company. Even though Apple's grown to a level that it is probably not possible for Jobs himself to hand pick everyone I think the mentality still stands.

I have a feeling Microsoft's strategy is more like "Oh, Vista isn't ready yet? Hire an extra 50 programmers." 2 months later. "Oh it wasn't enough? Hire an extra 100 programmers and fix this thing." Which probably results in a spaghetti code. But still... Apple's products aren't exactly bug free. But they are at least pretty solid.

I wonder if Vista should be compared to Mac OS X 10.0 in terms of where they are in the development. They're trying to get Vista to a 10.5 level from scratch. It's gonna be real hard. Apple took many years of work and went through a lot of stages to get to 10.5..
  • Reply 29 of 89
    mac_dollmac_doll Posts: 527member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spindler

This is one thing Steve Jobs doesn't get enough credit for. Not only does he have great ideas, he is also a superb manager who hires the right people and gets things done. I bet if Steve Jobs took over the American car companies, he could make them successful, although it would be brutal along the way. I doubt Bill Gates could be a successful CEO at most companies.

I couldn't agree with you more. Steve has uncanny business savvy. Bill Gates, though I do respect him and his philanthropic efforts, is and will always be a software geek. Software wizards don't often have what it takes to be businessmen. Bill does his best work when he's in the technology department, not when he's at a round table meeting.
  • Reply 30 of 89
    coryp420coryp420 Posts: 1member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sharp_spot

Could this have anything to do with it?

http://www.osviews.com/modules.php?o...rder=0&thold=0

What a load of garbage... The only thing worse in this world than John Dovak, is some other idiot copying his ideas.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1923151,00.asp (Bullshyt Alert)
  • Reply 31 of 89
    naterivernateriver Posts: 13member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sharp_spot

Could this have anything to do with it?

http://www.osviews.com/modules.php?o...rder=0&thold=0

In case nobody's noticed, whoever wrote this article has poor spelling and grammar. Even if I were to pull a joke, I would at least make it seem believable. Therefore, whoever wrote that doozy up probably was fairly careless and/or a low-grade moron. To begin with, the oversimplification and the totally bogus quotes would toss the idea out the window, and really, it could have been an interesting pun, since MS does seem to be doing rather poorly with Vista. Or extremely poorly.
  • Reply 32 of 89
    Quote:

Originally posted by palegolas

I wonder if Vista should be compared to Mac OS X 10.0 in terms of where they are in the development. They're trying to get Vista to a 10.5 level from scratch. It's gonna be real hard. Apple took many years of work and went through a lot of stages to get to 10.5..

Or you mean, to a 10.4 level. And really, for MS it's not about .anythings, it's been about service packs, and countless Windows update things that mean little. In the end it's still going to be millions of lines of code and baggage code and spaghetti code, meaning it'll virtually look like Windows 2000 (or even 98 ) and possibly be less secure. OS 10.0 was at least able to be released. The people working on Vista have called it a change only in the size of the ---- up. The reality is, MS has done a lot of promising and when they finally deliver, they'll have to deliver something a bit better than a ---- up. Just a bit better, mind you.
  • Reply 33 of 89
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

what can the new OSX possibly bring us in terms of new innovation and features? i mean i think the OS now is just perfect.

there a few little things like the finder, compatibility, better airport (that hasn't really much anything to do with the os thoough)

like they could improve on stuff but what new things will the doors off the current OSX?

I've found numerous bugs in OS X, small, but stupid looking, like telling me I have 0 accounts offline and 0 with problems or whatever. Or Safari crashing because of Japanese input. Or sleep issues. In other words, for one thing reliability is very good, but not perfect.

Spotlight is also very good, but not even excellent. 10.5 or 10.6 will see very, very advanced computer handling of data, like reading signs in photos and such. Smart folders will probably be improved in 10.5. In other words, finding stuff, possibly the only feature Vista has a chance at hitting the ballpark area with, will be improved so far beyond Vista by 10.5.

Slight interface change...to the smooth metal, most likely. Possibly customizability, but that comes at the cost of reliability.

New versions of bundled apps, likely with several advanced features made possible by spotlight, along with performance bumps.

Possibly new and useful things (like Dashboard is) will come up, in areas that might seem "perfect" now. Apple is good at this, and will likely include at least 1~2 of such major things, maybe more major. Huge antivirus efforts will probably be made, but after 10.5. Apple Office would be nice, but maybe that's just me.

New GUI concepts and ways of working made possible by touchscreen tech or remote control tech....
  • Reply 34 of 89
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    As a (soon to be) IT guy, I welcome all the delays that MS can come up with, just more time for Linux/F-OSS to get it together for the corprate desktop (FC5 and Novel/Suse desktop 10 come really close to the mark) But it doesnt affect Apple, they dont take the corprate desktop seriously, but it doesnt hurt them, heir niech servs the company well.
  • Reply 35 of 89
    tazznbtazznb Posts: 54member
    NEWS FLASH!!!!

This is just in....

I heard that Windows Vista will debut as a simultaneous dual release with Duke Nukem Forever abt circa 2012
  • Reply 36 of 89
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tazznb

NEWS FLASH!!!!

This is just in....

I heard that Windows Vista will debut as a simultaneous dual release with Duke Nukem Forever abt circa 2012

Yeah, but will GNU/Hurd come next year?
  • Reply 37 of 89
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Quote:

NEWS FLASH!!!!

This is just in....

They could do a bundling deal - buy DNF and get a free OS...
  • Reply 38 of 89
    I really don't care about Windows, but what has me concerned about all of this is if Adobe is holding back the release of Creative Suite 3, to run on Vista, then this could really sick for those waiting for Universal binaries of Adobe software.
  • Reply 39 of 89
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bulky Cranium

I really don't care about Windows, but what has me concerned about all of this is if Adobe is holding back the release of Creative Suite 3, to run on Vista, then this could really sick for those waiting for Universal binaries of Adobe software.

I don't think Adobe would tether themselves to that junk barge.

what I wonder-- Does microsoft maybe have an alternate plan going? It seems to me that if they had a brain cell between them, that when this beast started to flounder 2 or 3 years ago, they'd have nabbed a Linux distro & started a super-secret "Windows-on-Linux" program not unlike OS X. Seems like if they were to borrow a SMART page from Apple's playbook instead of just cribbing look & feel stuff, they would have at leat considered this. But maybe I'm giving them too much credit.
  • Reply 40 of 89
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

NEWS FLASH!!!!

This is just in....

Ooh that reminds me that Microsoft was touting Halo 2 for the PC to be Vista-only. So was DirectX 10.

Meh-heh-heh.

Vista: a blow to PC gamers everywhere.

Let's for a minute play armchair project manager. What would you do to get Vista out the door as a next gen OS? (And I mean this semi-seriously).

Firstly, I would have the whole thing recompiled in .NET and if that means breaking backwards compatability so be it.

I saw this article via digg. basically, the Windows programmers are hardcore C++ programmers and would not switch. So either .NET has serious issues that prevents Microsoft from eating their own dogfood or the Windows managers lack oversight enough to compel their staff. ...or both.