Powerbook G4 Too Hott?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just wanted to know if it was me or are other people having this problem. I have the last rev. of the 15 inch powerbook. I did upgrade to the 7200 HD, so I expected some more heat then usual, but lately its gotten so hot to the point that I can't even put it on my lap anymore.

Anyone else have this problem?

Also, if I take it in, what will apple do to it lol, is it fixable?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    You might have too much thermal grease on your CPU/GPU/northbridge.

Apple's been doing that from time to time, it raises the temp of each by ~10°C (18°F)

Thermal goo just fills in the tiny imperfections in the surfaces of the processor/heatsinc.. therefore, you need just enough to cover the thing with a tiny dot of the stuff.

I saw one picture where the all 3 chips were covered in the stuff.

That's what happens when you use unskilled labor to assemble computers. All hail the PRC!

If this is indeed the case, you can clean it up yourself (WARNTEE VIOLATION).. or try and convince Apple to do it for you.

Your PB will handle the increased temperatures by running the fans like crazy.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    sandiliansandilian Posts: 23member
    Will applecare take care of it?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandilian

Will applecare take care of it?

No idea.. you got me interested too, now.

Anyone?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    drumsticksdrumsticks Posts: 315member
    Have you checked for a runaway process? It could be that something is taking up CPU cycles when it shouldn't and hence generate heat...

When it is hot, does the fan come on at all? I have the same machine as yours, but regular 5400rpm HDD and am quite happy using it on my lap. Its warm as expected, but not significantly so.

Have you tried monitoring the actual temperature? There are a few free software around to monitor system temperature. How hot does it get? The hottest I get with my machine is about 40 Celcius or about 100 Fahrenheit. And that's at the power supply sensor.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    keotkeot Posts: 116member
    Grab a temperature monitor widget and see if the temperatures really are insane.

My 1.67GHz PowerBook G4 (the one before they went DDR2 and made the screens better) reaches about 60?C before the fans kick in and it rarely gets warmer than that. Nonetheless I can't use it on my lap without having a nearby window open.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Ok, if that little humming noise is my fan, then its on all the time..... right now after being on for 20 min its at 69 deg. F
  • Reply 7 of 8
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandilian

Ok, if that little humming noise is my fan, then its on all the time..... right now after being on for 20 min its at 69 deg. F

Which Part? My battery temp is 93.2 F while the processor bottom side is 123.8 F. I have a 1.5 Ghz powerbook g4.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    lol i dont know....maybe its just me? I have to take it in b/c my speaker is blown and ill just tell them to check out the heat issue also