New Virex announced - not Universal

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
According to MacNN, McAfee today announced their new virus product for Mac, VirusScan for MacTel 8.0. While I can't find anything mentioned on their corporate website, the article states that it "runs under Apple's Rosetta emulator to help protect Mac users from Macintosh and Windows-based viruses, Trojans and other malicious threats."

WTF? I'd like to hear their explanation for this. It must be right up there with all those "security experts" claiming that because Macs are now Intel based, they are susceptible to the same threats as Windows. C'mon, how much Intel assembly-based malware is really out there, that could even run on OS X? Either McAfee is being ignorant or has lazy programmers that don't want to make it UB.

It's not that I care about Virex or that I'd even run anti-virus software on my Mac, but I work in an institution where we buy site licenses of this stuff. These guys obviously have a decent sized Mac market, not to mention it used to be bundled with .mac. It's bad enough that Virex is bloated and buggy, and keeping it on Rosetta is just going to ruin the Mac experience for a lot of Intel-Mac first-timers. You should see how much CPU usage their background daemon uses just on a PowerPC Mac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Here is a riddle for you: How many processor cycles does it take to scan for nothing?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Holy cow Batman it's the Riddler.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Best laugh I had all day! Thanks, B.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

Holy cow Batman it's the Riddler.

So that's what the 'b' stands for.