Where in the ???? Americans and Geography

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    max_naylormax_naylor Posts: 194member
    Don't worry Americans! I fear the problem is not just confined to your country. I'm currently finishing secondary school in the UK, and I tell ya, some of these kids are predicted A and A* grades, but they know jack! Half of these kids don't know where Birmingham is! In their OWN COUNTRY!
  • Reply 22 of 47
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by max_naylor

Half of these kids don't know where Birmingham is! In their OWN COUNTRY!

It's in Alabama, dummy!
  • Reply 23 of 47
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    There's a decent soccer stadium in Birmingham.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    Ours just got shot down.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    Ignorance about geography is commonplace in many countries, but moreso when you live in a big super-poweful country, with only two terrestrial boundaries; then you tend to pay even less attention to the wider world out there. I'm told that a large proportion of Americans don't even travel abroad.

According to the CNN article, seven out of ten could tell where China was. So it's not all that hopeless.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:

A few years ago, I read a report that said Americans were weak at geography. Today a new survey comes out that suggests the problem is worse than I thought.

The first thing that a "good education" should teach you is not to trust "survey relsults" published at a site like CNN.com without seeing the raw data and how the data was collected first.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

It's in Alabama, dummy!

Not the original, dummy! Our Birmingham is over 1000 years old. That's older than your country.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    Quote:

Not the original, dummy! Our Birmingham is over 1000 years old. That's older than your country.

Dummy, America has been here FOREVER! Waaaaay Longer than England, which was created by the French in 1066!
  • Reply 29 of 47
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Ours just got shot down.

Getting a 20,000 seat stadium to cost $145M is a remarkble act of budget padding. No wonder why it was disapproved.

The other Birmingham has some nice soccer stadiums as well, I'm told. They call it "football" over there. I'm not sure why, since football is a different, American sport. Geez.
  • Reply 30 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Getting a 20,000 seat stadium to cost $145M is a remarkble act of budget padding. No wonder why it was disapproved.

The other Birmingham has some nice soccer stadiums as well, I'm told. They call it "football" over there. I'm not sure why, since football is a different, American sport. Geez.

What?! Football and soccer are different things? And all this time I thought the Brits were playing tackle football!
  • Reply 31 of 47
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    americans dont know anything about the rest of the world. its this whole "I'M AMURRICAN!" attitude where the rest of the world doesnt matter.

Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

This is what happens when you let in millions of mexicans and have a large black population who worships Rap & Hood and dont think a father is needed in the raising of the children, yeah we Americans are getting stupider all the time, just look at our president.

i dont even know what to say about the ignorance here. i bet those who "worships Rap & Hood" know a lot more about the rest of the world than a lot of little rich white suburban kids who rock abercrombie & fitch do
  • Reply 32 of 47
    Quote:

Dummy, America has been here FOREVER! Waaaaay Longer than England, which was created by the French in 1066!

What the hell are you talkin about dummy?! Dont forget this list of things you wouldn't have without us:

* The English language

* The computer

* The pencil

* The adjustable spanner

* The sandwich

* The catflap

* The lawn mower

* The rubber band

* The electrical generator

* The micrometer

* The cat's eye

* The seatbelt

* Tarmac

* The hovercraft

* The jet engine

* Meccano

(Click here if you don't believe me)

Without these inventions, you couldn't have given us all the wonderful some of stuff you came up with, like Microsoft Windows and American 'Football'.

Don't get me wrong, I love America. I just think Americans are slightly stuck up sometimes when it comes to the rest of the world. Your not the only country in the world you know. Just take a moment to think where you would be today if it weren't for the rest of the world. Truth is, you wouldn't exist.

God bless America.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by TigerWoods99

americans dont know anything about the rest of the world. its this whole "I'M AMURRICAN!" attitude where the rest of the world doesnt matter.

i dont even know what to say about the ignorance here. i bet those who "worships Rap & Hood" know a lot more about the rest of the world than a lot of little rich white suburban kids who rock abercrombie & fitch do

By the way, you are completely right. I so agree.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    Quote:

What the hell are you talkin about dummy?! Dont forget this list of things you wouldn't have without us:

* The English language

* The computer

* The pencil

* The adjustable spanner

* The sandwich

* The catflap

* The lawn mower

* The rubber band

* The electrical generator

* The micrometer

* The cat's eye

* The seatbelt

* Tarmac

* The hovercraft

* The jet engine

* Meccano

(Click here if you don't believe me)

Without these inventions, you couldn't have given us all the wonderful some of stuff you came up with, like Microsoft Windows and American 'Football'.

Don't get me wrong, I love America. I just think Americans are slightly stuck up sometimes when it comes to the rest of the world. Your not the only country in the world you know. Just take a moment to think where you would be today if it weren't for the rest of the world. Truth is, you wouldn't exist.

God bless America.

Bah! All of those things were invented in America, and you know it! The only thing England invented was the Hinge. You know. Stonehinge and all that. And while Stonehinge is cool (I'm a little bitter about not having purchased the "stone similar to that of stonehinge" when I was last out at Salisbury plain (most certainly the place where Salisbury Steak was invented!), I am gladdened somewhat by having owned, at one point, a Stonehinge toothbrush.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    Quote:

Bah! All of those things were invented in America, and you know it! The only thing England invented was the Hinge. You know. Stonehinge and all that. And while Stonehinge is cool (I'm a little bitter about not having purchased the "stone similar to that of stonehinge" when I was last out at Salisbury plain (most certainly the place where Salisbury Steak was invented!), I am gladdened somewhat by having owned, at one point, a Stonehinge toothbrush.

WTF?!?!?
  • Reply 36 of 47
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

WTF?!?!?

Clearly, sarcasm wasn't among the things your country invented.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

That would be Ireland.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Clearly my arse. This is just a trivial contest between two countries. Nothing more, nothing less.

AFAIK.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    Quote:

That would be Ireland.

Big up the Irish!
  • Reply 40 of 47
    Quote:

Clearly my arse. This is just a trivial contest between two countries. Nothing more, nothing less.

AFAIK.

It's so trivial of a contest, it's not even a contest! NO ONE is better than America at not knowing things about the rest of the world!