What's Up With Upgrade Cards?!?!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I can go to Sonnet's page and order a 800mhz card for a 8600 but can't get more than a 500mhz card from anywhere for my 350 g3 blue and white. Anyone know when they will come out with some better upgrades?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Does anyone actually have an 800/1000mhz upgrade yet? I dont think so..XLR8yourmac havn't even benchmarked them yet, so Id guess there no shipping yet.

BTW you can get a 550mhz upgrade for your blue&white from powerlogix.com
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Sonnet has the 800mhz available for pre-order to be ready sometime in August. I'd be happy being able to pre-order for my blue and white.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I ordered a Sonnet 1GHz card a couple of days ago here in Germany. On the website where I ordered this, it stated 3-7 days delivery time. We'll see.

Is this technically a Future Hardware topic? Or did I get in before the lock/move?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    You got in before this got moved.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by GardenOfEarthlyDelights:

<strong>I ordered a Sonnet 1GHz card a couple of days ago here in Germany. On the website where I ordered this, it stated 3-7 days delivery time. We'll see.

Is this technically a Future Hardware topic? Or did I get in before the lock/move?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, but what machine was it for? The Blue and Whites seem to be in some kind of "Upgrade Limbo Zone."

If you upgrade a beige machine you can order up to 800mhz. and if you have certain G4 machines you can upgrade to 1000mhz. But I have yet to see an upgrade card for B&W that is above 550.

What machine are you upgrading?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by EchoDriver:

<strong>I can go to Sonnet's page and order a 800mhz card for a 8600 but can't get more than a 500mhz card from anywhere for my 350 g3 blue and white. Anyone know when they will come out with some better upgrades?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm essentially in the same boat as the BWers: I have a PCI G4 (Yikes! Mobo). It drives me nuts that there is an 800 Mhz G4 CPU card for the 8600 but not my G4. Hopefully the new Power Macs Apple is rumored to release this month will devalue the upgrades currently available. I'd be OK the the Powerlogix Powerforce ZIF 550 were it priced under $200.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Does anyone know what's stoping them from providing decent upgrades to us?

If you go to XLR8's website and check the compatability chart they have listed

index.php3<a href="http://xlr8.com/ProductInfo/compatibility/index.php3"; target="_blank">http://xlr8.com/Productinfo/compatability/index.php3</a>;

It mentions, under dual processor, that they have a MACH Velocity 2x Duo 100 that is "unreleased".

I'm wondering what speed chips this dual processor card will support. It is listed for the G3 blue and white as well as the g4 pci.

A dual 500 might not be a bad upgrade for me but I don't know how the price to performance ratio will be affected...guess that depends on how fast they get it out.

Anyone know any more about this card in development? I have an email out to them but who knows what I will get back. I haven't been able to scrounge up any info on the net about it.