Need Firewire 800 port on your 15" MacBook Pro: Here's two!!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Two-port FW800 Express Card 34 Adapter

There's not much point in commenting too much on this one, cause I don't have a MacBook Pro. Someone might have wanted to know about this though Link

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Word! Good find!
  • Reply 2 of 10
    nice! It's a shame they don't make one in silver, but I'll prob buy one anyway.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Digital Disasta

nice! It's a shame they don't make one in silver, but I'll prob buy one anyway.

want color/style matching? call belkin or griffin, let them know there is a demand for it, they will make 'em if they can sell 'em
  • Reply 4 of 10
    natecnatec Posts: 19member
    Does anyone else wish the design would be different? Way back in the day, Newer Technology made a "Firewire-to-go" PC Card, and you could leave it in your slot all of the time. It had a flat cable dongle that plugged in between the card and the firewire cable (and if you used a single cable most of the time, you could leave the dongle connected to the cable). Sure, that's another thing to lose, but I think it's a better alternative than having to remove the whole card every time you move your laptop, and worry about breaking off the part that sticks out.

It just seems like a very inelegant solution for such a beautiful piece of machinery as an Apple laptop.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Too bad it doesn't just...come with FW800.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    FW800 was never a good idea because it doesn't offer significant speed up over the FW400 to be worth the extra money and hassle of finding compatible devices and drivers. For people who capture video from DV cameras, it offers no advantage because you can only capture in real-time anyway. I'm glad Apple have realised this and not included it in their Intel lineup.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    sprocketssprockets Posts: 40member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marvin

I'm glad Apple have realised this and not included it in their Intel lineup.

17" MacBook Pro?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sprockets

17" MacBook Pro?

Ah. Ok, they haven't realised it.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Ah. Ok, they haven't realised it.

Or mabye you're too ignorant to realize that lots of people use it. Just because you don't use it doesn't mean it's not necessary.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    fuzzylogicfuzzylogic Posts: 19member
    Quote:

FW800 was never a good idea because it doesn't offer significant speed up over the FW400 to be worth the extra money and hassle of finding compatible devices and drivers. For people who capture video from DV cameras, it offers no advantage because you can only capture in real-time anyway. I'm glad Apple have realised this and not included it in their Intel lineup.

"Brain the size of a planet........"

...............or should that be peanut ?