Big third party app announcement coming?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Happened to come across a post over at the Mach Ach at Ars, here:

Quote:

Apple is moving design and engineering (how much, I don't know) of their products to the Mac platform in response to an offer which has been on the table for a while from a significant third party vendor to port their product to OS X.

What is particularly interesting in relation to Apple's commitment to the Mac as a pro platform is that the initial offer was made on the basis that the software would only be ported if Apple committed to the purchase for its own purposes ? whether or not that was the final reason for the port going ahead, I don't know ? this was the reason it hasn't come out sooner ? but I don know that Apple is moving to use it for it's own purposes on the Mac ? hence my belief that Apple is not just viewing the Mac as a boutique upscale consumer platform looking forwards.

I don't know the terms of the deal at all (this information isn't coming through any link to Apple), but I doubt that this would be coming to the platform without any forward looking commitment to providing suitable hardware to run it on.

As far as I know, it doesn't involve Apple bringing out anything specific, but they're not going to be doing engineering on Intel iMacs with x1600 graphics cards for too much longer, are they? In my opinion, this explains why the Nvidia Quadro is now an option on the PowerMac, despite there not being any apps on the Mac which currently require certified drivers...

I don't know enough about "design and engineering" software to know what program he's talking about, but from the talk of video cards, I assume it's high end 3D modeling?

Sounds pretty legit-- the thread is about Mac market share in general and the post isn't making a big fuss about it, just pointing out that, according to his info, Apple is far from abandoning pro apps and becoming an upscale CE vendor (which is a point of contention in the thread).

In an earlier post in the same thread he says that he believes the announcement will come "in a couple of weeks" and that, cost-wise, the app is "significantly more 'pro' than Final Cut Studio".

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    My guess would be Autocad. It would be a coupe for Autodesk to have their software involved in designing Mac hardware. And I know for sure, it's an App Apple would *love on the platform.

Just need Quickbooks now (a real version), and that will be it!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    kashimashkashimash Posts: 17member
    Solidworks
  • Reply 3 of 7
    How 'big' you think this is depends on where you're looking at it from. It's certainly big in terms of what it might mean for the Mac platform in engineering. It might be a bit higher end than some people are hoping for though...

I posted this to the other thread yesterday:

Have a look here (old news, but relevent) and here for a few pointers as to what's going to be announced in the next few weeks...

Although this might be a bit more high end than some people are looking for, it's going to be very good for Macs in engineering...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mortigi tempo

How 'big' you think this is depends on where you're looking at it from. It's certainly big in terms of what it might mean for the Mac platform in engineering. It might be a bit higher end than some people are hoping for though...

Have a look here (old news, but relevent) and here for a few pointers as to what's going to be announced in the next few weeks...

Although this might be a bit more high end than some people are looking for, it's going to be very good for Macs in engineering...

Thanks for confirming this, I didn't realize you posted hereabouts...

I got from your original posting at Ars that this wasn't going to be anything for the average user, but I think having heavy duty tools available on the platform helps legitimize the Mac in areas where it might have lacked "gravitas".

Every reason not to go with a Mac taken off the table is a win for the platform.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Thanks for confirming this, I didn't realize you posted hereabouts...

I got from your original posting at Ars that this wasn't going to be anything for the average user, but I think having heavy duty tools available on the platform helps legitimize the Mac in areas where it might have lacked "gravitas".

Every reason not to go with a Mac taken off the table is a win for the platform.

Yes, hopefully this might make some other companies consider porting their products to the Mac, and also drive some lower end stuff too.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by mortigi tempo

And... you are correct, you have just won a million dollars, which comes to a total of a pat on the back after all those "fees"... next time read the fine print!

Quote:

UGS announces lifecycle management support for Mac OS X

June 21, 2006 - 13:50 EDT UGS Corp., a global provider of product lifecycle management (PLM) software and services, today announced plans to add native support for Mac OS X 10.4 to the list of supported environments for its NX digital product development, and Teamcenter digital lifecycle management software solutions. ?Consistent with UGS? open business model, we are proud to offer our products on Mac OS X in order to help even more companies transform their process of innovation,? said Chuck Grindstaff, UGS? executive vice president of Products. ?As the first major PLM supplier to offer its software products for Mac OS X, UGS can now give worldwide Mac users access to best-of-breed PLM solutions that take advantage of the excellent performance, security and stability of Apple?s innovative hardware and software.? A limited edition version of NX is available today for PowerPC-based Macs under UGS? Early Adopter Program.

thnaks to MacMinute for the update... http://www.macminute.com/2006/06/21/ugs/

and btw the link you posted have changed to reflect the news
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Yes, its been longer coming than I originally thought, but this is what I was talking about.

Was beginning to wonder if they were planning on waiting until WWDC for the announcement.

Its good to see that Macs can now act as first class citizens in the product development world (on one design platform at any rate).

Heres hoping for a port of solid edge too...